Old 03-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #1

Upgrading front axle

I just had my front axel and new tires replaced. That is a long story but not the reason for this post I had the air bags upgraded in size sorry I don't have the size they used and the tires I went up in size to 275/80r22.5 XZE2 Michelin tires. They had to reflash the computer to make the speed and OD register correctly.
This made a big difference in how the MH drove. The ride is better than any MH I have ridden in. It has no front end shake or jerk in the wheel when hitting a bump. I still have a little wonder in high winds but I think that is better also. The shift points are different. I run 70mph at 1800 rpm.
All around this is a totally different MH.
The change in the air bag also increased the front axel GAW from 10500 to 12000lb. This is a certified plate fixed on the axel from Freightliner the manufacture of the chassis.
If you are close to needing tires I would strongly recommend contacting Freightliner in Gaffney SC to see if this can be done.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Phil,

Congrats on finally getting this thing fixed! I know it has been a long and involved process, but you were right in your initial contention about the weight and the axle and your conviction to make sure it was corrected. Now I hope you can get on with enjoying your unit.

Regards,

Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #3

Well on our way. Dianna and I leave the first for three weeks of wherever we feel like going. I'm sure it will be south until it feels like shorts weather. Thanks I hope you are getting out and enjoying your.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #4

I have the first real test on the new front axel this week. Dianna and I plus Cooper our new little 4 month old Havanese puppy drove down to Nashville for 3 weeks of whatever. We are loaded heavy on purpose. I didn't hit the scales but from past experience steer axel is around 11000 and rear is 17800. most likely 28800 plus 5000 lb toad so 333800 about 800 over. I will be getting a new toad that will weigh around 3800 and will keep me under the 33000 GCVW that the 2500 transmission imposes.My problem has always been the front axel and that was bad. When I loaded up to GCVW the front would shake and it was a 100% attention to keep it in my lane, Yesterday and today the MH was smooth and sure, We had a fair amount of wind and that kept me busy but the wheel was steady and a easy drive. No shake and I swore it has more power, The shift points are different because of the larger tires. I wonder if anyone can tell me why this would be. I thought that the larger tires would decrease my torque but it seems to go up the hills much better. Anyway I through this out for anyone that wants to do a mod to the Berkshire MH. going with larger tires will work and the larger air bags make a great improvement in the ride.By the way the speedometer and the odometer are dead on by GPS.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Well on our way. Dianna and I leave the first for three weeks of wherever we feel like going. I'm sure it will be south until it feels like shorts weather. Thanks I hope you are getting out and enjoying your.
Fantastic!!! Finally getting to do what the thing was made to do!! Being a full timer, we've now spent 5 months in ours, although only about 800 miles of driving. For whatever reason, even though 1800 lbs overweight mine rides and handles like a dream.

Hey, Ill heed your advice on calling Allison. Other than that and the weight issue, I'm pretty well set.

FR has offered to send me a new driver's window (even though I'm out of warranty), but I don't like the new one (Somebody posted a picture of it and except for a small "porthole" it looks like it can't be opened at all) so I may just live with the rattle. In nice weather I like to ride along with the glass AND the screen slid all the way open.

Boo