Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Come now. They're delivering what you're paying them to. You just don't have things setup properly to use it; hardly their fault.

I don't have the 722, but assuming the Menu settings are the same:
Press Menu
Select "System Setup" (or 6)
Select "HDTV Setup" (or 7)
Set "TV Type" to 1080i (or 1080p if that's available)
Select "Done"

This will bring up a dialog box asking you if you want to keep the change (eg, can you still see a picture). Say "Yes". (If you can't see the picture, it will revert to the old setting after 15 seconds.)

I'm guessing that you had TV Type set to 480i.

If that doesn't fix it, let me know.
I will try what you suggest and see if that fixes it.

Thanks

Boowho??

EDIT: Well, that was the problem..... Switched it to 1080i which is the highest setting available. It's better but still not as good as my OTA. But I did say I'd be happy with 1080i on all channels

That is apparently what I now have, but still not as good as my OTA channels.

Will check the TV for settings, although when clicking "info" on the TV remote it says 1080i being shown. I guess I'm amazed that there could be that much difference between 1080I and 1080P; the difference though is stunning.

Another possibility is that the OTA signal via COAX is going directly to the TV with no extra cabling (HDMI or otherwise). Maybe that could be the difference.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #12

Good! I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p unless the objects in the video were moving quickly. Also, almost none of the available TV shows are recorded in 1080p so you're probably not really getting that anyway.

There is no doubt that OTA has somewhat better picture than one that has been processed they any "delivery service", be that cable or satellite. However, I've never seen that to be so significant that I'd really comment on it. I think it may be a cabling issue or that intermediate box is messing things up. Try direct HDMI connection to the TV, and I hope the HDMI cable isn't exceptionally long.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #13

OK..... You guys are toooo much for me... I just want to hook up my power/coaxial on my sat and then get a picture... BUT I am trying to figure out how I can get my TV sound to play through my surround sound so I can take advantage of the nine speakers I have up front...
Old 05-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
OK..... You guys are toooo much for me... I just want to hook up my power/coaxial on my sat and then get a picture... BUT I am trying to figure out how I can get my TV sound to play through my surround sound so I can take advantage of the nine speakers I have up front...
That sounds like you should start a new thread then.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #15

Think I will do just that...
Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Good! I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p unless the objects in the video were moving quickly. Also, almost none of the available TV shows are recorded in 1080p so you're probably not really getting that anyway.

There is no doubt that OTA has somewhat better picture than one that has been processed they any "delivery service", be that cable or satellite. However, I've never seen that to be so significant that I'd really comment on it. I think it may be a cabling issue or that intermediate box is messing things up. Try direct HDMI connection to the TV, and I hope the HDMI cable isn't exceptionally long.
OK.... After changing the Dish receiver from 480p to 1080i I really didn't notice that much difference. Perhaps the intermediate box IS screwing things up.

I assume the best my OTA can be is 1080p and that's what I'm getting. I just know that the OTA picture is an unbelievable improvement over the 1080i from the DN. Almost an "order of magnitude", as the say.

I will keep investigating as time permits. As you say, who knows what DN does with that signal before the deliver it to me. At the very least, one has to believe that it's compressed at the sat and then de-compressed by the receiver before showing it to the viewer.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #17

Most of us are very happy with Dish reception as compared to OTA, so there's something else going here. Happy hunting!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
OK.... After changing the Dish receiver from 480p to 1080i I really didn't notice that much difference. Perhaps the intermediate box IS screwing things up.

I assume the best my OTA can be is 1080p and that's what I'm getting. I just know that the OTA picture is an unbelievable improvement over the 1080i from the DN. Almost an "order of magnitude", as the say.

I will keep investigating as time permits. As you say, who knows what DN does with that signal before the deliver it to me. At the very least, one has to believe that it's compressed at the sat and then de-compressed by the receiver before showing it to the viewer.
wait a sec.. i thought in another thread you said the dish stb was directly connected to the tv via hdmi. if that is the case, you are getting the best possible connection and there is no intermediary box.

connection should be:

dish-->rg6 coax cable-->dish vip722k stb-->hdmi cable-->tv hdmi input 1.

set dish vip722k to 1080i or 1080p output.
set tv to hdmi 1 source. set tv display to 1080i or 1080p to match if not auto.

that should be it... no intermediary boxes...
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post

that should be it... no intermediary boxes...
The intermediate box is a surround sound amp that has 4 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out. It's a cheapie RCA unit from Walmart. With the 4x1 port setup it also does double duty for me as an HDMI switcher.

As far as how I am setup..... The DishNetwork is setup exactly as you have drawn. My OTA goes directly from the roof antenna to the back of the TV via COAX (no surround sound on OTA).

Thanks

Boowho??
Old 05-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #20

does the rca receiver have any output settings you can change then? make sure that is at 1080i or 1080p as well.

as a last resort, try bypassing the rca receiver. it should not be doing any up conversions, but just to make sure... try the tv directly connected to the dish stb.

ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote