Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #1

Upgrading to HDMI and swapping out the AV100HD

Hello Everyone,

Brand new owner of a 2013 390BH. So far I'm pleased. There is one thing that I intend on upgrading and that is the A/V system.

I read the topic below about the exterior TV and I have the same issue, in that it is a "stand alone" TV without satellite wiring.

I have a SK-SWM3 Trav'ler Dtv Slimline with one recv'r. I will also be adding a PS3 for the Blu-ray capability.

My question for is how hard/easy is it to pull HDMI through while pulling out the stock wiring? Just wondering where the potential problems will be i.e. insulation, wiring clips, etc.

Once that is done I will be also be swapping out the AV100HD switch. I plan on something like this..

For only $145.80 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 4X4 True Matrix HDMI® Powered Switch w/ Remote (Rev. 3.0)

Anyone have experience running wires through the slides? If it turns out too much for me, I guess I'll try the dealer.

Thanks,
JJ
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJvike View Post
Hello Everyone,

Brand new owner of a 2013 390BH. So far I'm pleased. There is one thing that I intend on upgrading and that is the A/V system.

I read the topic below about the exterior TV and I have the same issue, in that it is a "stand alone" TV without satellite wiring.

I have a SK-SWM3 Trav'ler Dtv Slimline with one recv'r. I will also be adding a PS3 for the Blu-ray capability.

My question for is how hard/easy is it to pull HDMI through while pulling out the stock wiring? Just wondering where the potential problems will be i.e. insulation, wiring clips, etc.

Once that is done I will be also be swapping out the AV100HD switch. I plan on something like this..

For only $145.80 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 4X4 True Matrix HDMI® Powered Switch w/ Remote (Rev. 3.0)

Anyone have experience running wires through the slides? If it turns out too much for me, I guess I'll try the dealer.

Thanks,
JJ
On my 390RB I've only worked on the mid-ship TV; due to the short distance I was easily able to pull upgraded HDMI's through using either the old composite cables or an electrician's fish tape.

I want to get the bedroom TV working on HDMI, but haven't tried to snake new wires through yet; the BR TV is in the slide, so that makes it a lot more complex.

IMHO, the fact that if took until 2014 to begin using HDMI is almost criminal since the technology has been COMMON since at least 2008.

IF you find anything on working with the rear TV let me know.... FR is quite unresponsive when giving out info on any of the A/V wiring. So much so, that I wonder if even THEY know how each coach is wired.

I finally got a hand drawn diagram (attached) of where on the roof I might cut a hole to find the antenna end of the "satellite prepped" COAX. But being just a hand drawn "sketch" makes me wonder if it's even the slightest bit accurate. Would hate to cut a whole in the roof only to find nothing there.

Having said all this however, I don't mean to be denigrating FR. In general, they've been fantastic to work with, and their OEM's have been even better. Even though I bought my unit used, Lippert and Equalizer Systems have swapped out failed parts gratis. FR themselves are going to replace my 255 tires with 275 tires and beef up the front airbags.

Finally, the 4x4 Switch you mentioned looks great except for one thing; I'm amazed that they still specify RS-232 instead of USB as the interface. That price looks really great, but I'm going to wait until they have one with a WIFI interface for controlling the thing with an Android "one program controls EVERYTHING" app.

For the time being, I'm using a cheap RCA surround sound system with 4 HDMI in ports and 1 HDMI out. Gives me remote controlled SS, PLUS remote controlled HDMI switch all in one box.

Boowho??
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sat. Location.pdf (180.3 KB, 52 views)
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Family Man with an RV

Send a message via Skype™ to doctormdj
I made a few clever adjustments that help me get proper HDMI signal from one location to another without running the wires. Attached is a photo of my outside entertainment system that we have in the basement. TV is on a bracket and we have music, sound and evereything dialed in. The system has a DVD player which is great but naturally I wanted to have television outside from our in motion satellite dish. Our current dish allows us to run two separate TVs off the same dish with two different boxes. One box is in the bedroom while the other is in the midship area. So, in order to get the golf game outside I purchased this product and it works perfectly. Simply put, it's just projecting the signal from one box to two TV sets. Works great while were driving down the road or sitting at a site. We bought two of them and added a small television in the galley area so the kids could watch TV while were driving.

Here is what we bought to send the TV signal from one TV to another.
doctormdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Family Man with an RV

I also removed the existing Home theater DVD and replaced it with this unit. Amazon.com: Sony BDVN790W Blu-ray Home Theater System: Electronics. It does not put off any heat, allows you to connect a USB for films, as 2 HDMI inputs and 1 out and all the toys for iPhone connection, bluetooth and when hooked up to WIFI, Netflixs, HULU and more. It fits great down below and even offers more room.

We also added a basic repeater so we do not need to keep opening the black glass door to change the channel or adjust the volume on the system. This is online but we got ours at the local Best Buy store. Amazon.com: Sewell BlastIR SW-29311 Infrared (IR) Remote Control Receiver Kit (Black): Electronics
Old 05-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Love My Sunseeker

Oh my gawd an EXTERIOR TV? And I thought having three TV's in my RV was a bit pretentious. I don't need three, but I've got three. Exterior TV? Lordy!

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Family Man with an RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
Oh my gawd an EXTERIOR TV? And I thought having three TV's in my RV was a bit pretentious. I don't need three, but I've got three. Exterior TV? Lordy!
LOL We have 4. 1 outside.... great for Golf and Football on the Beach... 1 Mid Ship and 1 in the bedroom, of course... and then then Kitchen TV... Really only use it when traveling so the kids can catch a movie.... wife can watch whatever she wants... etc... Yeah. It's a bit over the top but hey... It's a house on wheels.. Right? Why not make it home. LOL!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #7

you could have 5 then

there is another hook up in the middle cabinet above the cockpit. that's where the 3rd tv for the a/v rca switch box in the midship entertainment cabinet controls.

btw, i'm in socal as well! i'm presuming your screen name suggests you are in healthcare? if so, so is my wife (nsx)
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #8

Maybe not the best place to post, but there are so many "experts" reading here..... So here goes.

After playing around with my A/V setup, I've finally discovered that the best resolution I'm getting from of my VIP722K Dish Network receiver is 480P. This is why my OTA HD picture is so much better than my DN HD picture. My OTA's are all at least at 1080i.

I'm using a Winegard CarryOut which is supposed to handle the higher resolutions, I think.....

A potential problem may be the cheap RCA surround sound system is not passing the HDMI signal correctly through from the VIP722K receiver to the TV, although the specs for it say it capable of 1080P.

Obviously, I've checked to see that I'm tuned to a sat 129 channel.

What else can I check?? I've read that DN only broadcasts REAL 1080P on a single channel (somewhere in the 500 range) and that channel is used only for Video on Demand. I'd be happy with 1080I myself on any of the HD channels coming from sat 129.

It seems a pity that a service for which I pay about $80 a month for doesn't have the picture quality of the free OTA channels.

Anyone??

Boowho??
Old 05-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #9

what happens when you set the vip722k stb for 1080i or 1080p output? is the tv set up to match it?

i don't have dishtv so not familiar with their equipment...
Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
It seems a pity that a service for which I pay about $80 a month for doesn't have the picture quality of the free OTA channels.

Anyone??

Boowho??
Come now. They're delivering what you're paying them to. You just don't have things setup properly to use it; hardly their fault.

I don't have the 722, but assuming the Menu settings are the same:
Press Menu
Select "System Setup" (or 6)
Select "HDTV Setup" (or 7)
Set "TV Type" to 1080i (or 1080p if that's available)
Select "Done"

This will bring up a dialog box asking you if you want to keep the change (eg, can you still see a picture). Say "Yes". (If you can't see the picture, it will revert to the old setting after 15 seconds.)

I'm guessing that you had TV Type set to 480i.

If that doesn't fix it, let me know.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Come now. They're delivering what you're paying them to. You just don't have things setup properly to use it; hardly their fault.

I don't have the 722, but assuming the Menu settings are the same:
Press Menu
Select "System Setup" (or 6)
Select "HDTV Setup" (or 7)
Set "TV Type" to 1080i (or 1080p if that's available)
Select "Done"

This will bring up a dialog box asking you if you want to keep the change (eg, can you still see a picture). Say "Yes". (If you can't see the picture, it will revert to the old setting after 15 seconds.)

I'm guessing that you had TV Type set to 480i.

If that doesn't fix it, let me know.
I will try what you suggest and see if that fixes it.

Thanks

Boowho??

EDIT: Well, that was the problem..... Switched it to 1080i which is the highest setting available. It's better but still not as good as my OTA. But I did say I'd be happy with 1080i on all channels

That is apparently what I now have, but still not as good as my OTA channels.

Will check the TV for settings, although when clicking "info" on the TV remote it says 1080i being shown. I guess I'm amazed that there could be that much difference between 1080I and 1080P; the difference though is stunning.

Another possibility is that the OTA signal via COAX is going directly to the TV with no extra cabling (HDMI or otherwise). Maybe that could be the difference.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #12

Good! I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p unless the objects in the video were moving quickly. Also, almost none of the available TV shows are recorded in 1080p so you're probably not really getting that anyway.

There is no doubt that OTA has somewhat better picture than one that has been processed they any "delivery service", be that cable or satellite. However, I've never seen that to be so significant that I'd really comment on it. I think it may be a cabling issue or that intermediate box is messing things up. Try direct HDMI connection to the TV, and I hope the HDMI cable isn't exceptionally long.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #13

OK..... You guys are toooo much for me... I just want to hook up my power/coaxial on my sat and then get a picture... BUT I am trying to figure out how I can get my TV sound to play through my surround sound so I can take advantage of the nine speakers I have up front...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
OK..... You guys are toooo much for me... I just want to hook up my power/coaxial on my sat and then get a picture... BUT I am trying to figure out how I can get my TV sound to play through my surround sound so I can take advantage of the nine speakers I have up front...
That sounds like you should start a new thread then.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #15

Think I will do just that...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Good! I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p unless the objects in the video were moving quickly. Also, almost none of the available TV shows are recorded in 1080p so you're probably not really getting that anyway.

There is no doubt that OTA has somewhat better picture than one that has been processed they any "delivery service", be that cable or satellite. However, I've never seen that to be so significant that I'd really comment on it. I think it may be a cabling issue or that intermediate box is messing things up. Try direct HDMI connection to the TV, and I hope the HDMI cable isn't exceptionally long.
OK.... After changing the Dish receiver from 480p to 1080i I really didn't notice that much difference. Perhaps the intermediate box IS screwing things up.

I assume the best my OTA can be is 1080p and that's what I'm getting. I just know that the OTA picture is an unbelievable improvement over the 1080i from the DN. Almost an "order of magnitude", as the say.

I will keep investigating as time permits. As you say, who knows what DN does with that signal before the deliver it to me. At the very least, one has to believe that it's compressed at the sat and then de-compressed by the receiver before showing it to the viewer.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #17

Most of us are very happy with Dish reception as compared to OTA, so there's something else going here. Happy hunting!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
OK.... After changing the Dish receiver from 480p to 1080i I really didn't notice that much difference. Perhaps the intermediate box IS screwing things up.

I assume the best my OTA can be is 1080p and that's what I'm getting. I just know that the OTA picture is an unbelievable improvement over the 1080i from the DN. Almost an "order of magnitude", as the say.

I will keep investigating as time permits. As you say, who knows what DN does with that signal before the deliver it to me. At the very least, one has to believe that it's compressed at the sat and then de-compressed by the receiver before showing it to the viewer.
wait a sec.. i thought in another thread you said the dish stb was directly connected to the tv via hdmi. if that is the case, you are getting the best possible connection and there is no intermediary box.

connection should be:

dish-->rg6 coax cable-->dish vip722k stb-->hdmi cable-->tv hdmi input 1.

set dish vip722k to 1080i or 1080p output.
set tv to hdmi 1 source. set tv display to 1080i or 1080p to match if not auto.

that should be it... no intermediary boxes...
Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post

that should be it... no intermediary boxes...
The intermediate box is a surround sound amp that has 4 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out. It's a cheapie RCA unit from Walmart. With the 4x1 port setup it also does double duty for me as an HDMI switcher.

As far as how I am setup..... The DishNetwork is setup exactly as you have drawn. My OTA goes directly from the roof antenna to the back of the TV via COAX (no surround sound on OTA).

Thanks

Boowho??
Old 05-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #20

does the rca receiver have any output settings you can change then? make sure that is at 1080i or 1080p as well.

as a last resort, try bypassing the rca receiver. it should not be doing any up conversions, but just to make sure... try the tv directly connected to the dish stb.