Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Haven't had the opportunity to drive the Berk out at night yet or the need to flash someone yet but see your point. That sucks !!
Joe- I think you can get in big trouble if you go around flashing people! (LOL!!)

I always have my headlights on, even during the day, so I just use the directional stick to flash my hi-beams to signal passing trucks.
__________________

__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Easley, South Carolina
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Joe- I think you can get in big trouble if you go around flashing people! (LOL!!)

I always have my headlights on, even during the day, so I just use the directional stick to flash my hi-beams to signal passing trucks.

Can you just imagine the traumatic effect it would have on them ?
__________________

__________________
Joe & Lori

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
I-RV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
I guess I'm not getting my point across if you're traveling down the road without touching the light control the low beams are on as driving lights so you can not turn the low beams off as courtesy lights to tell a truck driver he is clear to come over. And without putting your light control in head light mode you can not turn on the brights so a lot of switch moving.


Wayne
Wayne, I think that you are missing the point. First of all, I found (see post #47), the motorhome is dark without any switches on; there is no automatic headlight or running lights on when moving (at least on mine). So in the day time with the Berk, to flash the high beams, you must turn the low beams on. Then strain your eyes in the bright sun light to see if the high beam blue dash indicator is already on. Now armed with this knowledge you now know how many fingers to use in counting the strokes of the steering wheel stalk.

Unfortunately in seeing a Berkshire heading towards you and wanting to get its attention to say Hi, by flashing the high beams; with the current Berk setup, the oncoming Berk has passed you.
Hank
__________________
Gale & Hank- 2012 Berkshire 390BH
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
15berkxl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mishawaka
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Wayne, I think that you are missing the point. First of all, I found (see post #47), the motorhome is dark without any switches on; there is no automatic headlight or running lights on when moving (at least on mine). So in the day time with the Berk, to flash the high beams, you must turn the low beams on. Then strain your eyes in the bright sun light to see if the high beam blue dash indicator is already on. Now armed with this knowledge you now know how many fingers to use in counting the strokes of the steering wheel stalk.



Unfortunately in seeing a Berkshire heading towards you and wanting to get its attention to say Hi, by flashing the high beams; with the current Berk setup, the oncoming Berk has passed you.

Hank

Hank the one thing I have learned in the short 9 months we have had our Berk is there are a lot of changes being made from model year to model year and from Berkshire to Berkshire XL and even floor plan to floor plan. So you could be right for your model year and I for mine. The problem we all face is when a post is made there could be multiple correct answers. I raised mine as a question more than a solution because there are potentially multiple answers.
I can't offer anything else at this time so I'll sign off now.


Wayne
__________________
Wayne
15berkxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
I-RV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,022
Wayne. It appears that you do not, I agree, but lot of things stay the same. Have you checked out the operation of your lights from the front; engine running and in drive ??? I used my DW to stand to the side while I placed it in drive with parking brake on.
Hank
__________________
Gale & Hank- 2012 Berkshire 390BH
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
15berkxl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mishawaka
Posts: 576
Since the makeup of Berkshire owners on this forum is comprised of multiple model years and floor plans it is more than feasible to have multiple solutions to a problem. What might work for one might not work for others. In the case of our 2015 XL 40RB the low beam headlight are also operated as running lights and come on as soon as you release the parking brake. With the running lights actuated there is no bright light function with the turn signal stick unless you first turn on the head light switch and then you can flash headlights. Running lights stay on as long as key is on and parking brakes are off. As soon as parking brake is engaged running lights go off as long as head light switch is off.
I am not sure what chassis model year this began functioning in this manner and if someone who has more time wants to explore it with FL you can report back to the forum.


Wayne
__________________
Wayne
15berkxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Logic says it would be better to complain to Forest River Diesel Division where you know it will be heard than on a forum. JMHO
The Diesel division reads the forum
And the additional forum members chimeing in to agree showes the Diesel Division it's not just one guy
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
Just saw this post. If I remember correctly when I went to Freightliner Camp, someone asked about the smart wheel. The instructor said it was installed by Freightliner and that the additional cost was around $3000. So, I guess that Forest River would have to order it from Freightliner when they order the chassis. Craig


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
3 grand? I'm in the wrong business!

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
That 3 grand from factory. No telling what it be aftermarket.
I did not get a reply back about parts cost, but I will bet that $3 grand figuer is about right.

I could understand them not putting a Smart Wheel on the Base Berk, but for the XL & XLT it should be standard.
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:38 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
I-RV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Since the makeup of Berkshire owners on this forum is comprised of multiple model years and floor plans it is more than feasible to have multiple solutions to a problem. What might work for one might not work for others. In the case of our 2015 XL 40RB the low beam headlight are also operated as running lights and come on as soon as you release the parking brake. With the running lights actuated there is no bright light function with the turn signal stick unless you first turn on the head light switch and then you can flash headlights. Running lights stay on as long as key is on and parking brakes are off. As soon as parking brake is engaged running lights go off as long as head light switch is off.
I am not sure what chassis model year this began functioning in this manner and if someone who has more time wants to explore it with FL you can report back to the forum.


Wayne
Wayne - I have tested the lights with key off, engine running , but not with parking brake off. I will have to check at least for my model that the running lights come on with key on and parking brake off as yours does.

I probably have gotten off on a tangent with getting into how all the driving lights function. My main dislike is that there in no High Beam Flashing capability, short of having the Smart Wheel.
Hank
__________________
Gale & Hank- 2012 Berkshire 390BH
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
15berkxl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mishawaka
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Wayne - I have tested the lights with key off, engine running , but not with parking brake off. I will have to check at least for my model that the running lights come on with key on and parking brake off as yours does.

I probably have gotten off on a tangent with getting into how all the driving lights function. My main dislike is that there in no High Beam Flashing capability, short of having the Smart Wheel.
Hank
Hank my previous non Berkshire MH had a smart wheel miss it tremendously. It too had running lights but smart wheel would override them so you could do a courtesy flash. I did not say this but to release p brake there has to be air in tank so you need to run until there is. I did not know that before today of course dont have any reason to release p brake without it running.
I don't want to live in the past but my other smart wheel turned on the lights including marker and tail when you turned on wipers. Has anyone found a way to turn on this feature with the dumb wheel? I think that should be a must have for all MH JMO .
__________________

__________________
Wayne
15berkxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.