Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
To my knowledge, the high beam does not flash with the headlights off. I'd like to have someone say that is not the case, however.
Hank
I'll try to check mine today, Hank.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #42
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Just saw this post. If I remember correctly when I went to Freightliner Camp, someone asked about the smart wheel. The instructor said it was installed by Freightliner and that the additional cost was around $3000. So, I guess that Forest River would have to order it from Freightliner when they order the chassis. Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #43

Quote:
To my knowledge, the high beam does not flash with the headlights off. I'd like to have someone say that is not the case, however.

Hank

Hank if I remember correctly the Berk low beams are on as running lights as long as as MH is in D. So turning lights on and off as courtesy lights won't do anything. Someone needs to stand in front of MH to confirm this.

Wayne
Old 12-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
Just saw this post. If I remember correctly when I went to Freightliner Camp, someone asked about the smart wheel. The instructor said it was installed by Freightliner and that the additional cost was around $3000. So, I guess that Forest River would have to order it from Freightliner when they order the chassis. Craig

3 grand? I'm in the wrong business!

Rich
Old 12-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #45

That 3 grand from factory. No telling what it be aftermarket.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Hank if I remember correctly the Berk low beams are on as running lights as long as as MH is in D. So turning lights on and off as courtesy lights won't do anything. Someone needs to stand in front of MH to confirm this.

Wayne
Wayne, For my 2012, if the rotary light switch is off, there is no front lights with engine running and in Drive. Also, see my response to Rich.
Hank
Old 12-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Hank, maybe I'm missing something here, but don't high beams flash by partially pulling back turn signal stick?

Rich
Rich, I wish what you said is the case, but partially pulling the stalk back does nothing. The light controls are also somewhat quirky; let me show what I found:

The light control has three rotary positions and a push feature for the fog lights.

Off position: RV front is dark, fog button does nothing and cannot flash high beams with the stalk.

Middle (Running) position: Marker lights front and all around the RV. Fog lights do not work and cannot flash high beams with the stalk.

On position:
Running lights on and low beam (large reflector) or high beams (smaller reflector) if selected with the stalk. When high beams are on, the low beams go out; for which I would think that we would have way better light with both on. The fog lights will work in this position.

All of the above is applicable whether in Neutral or Drive.

Now for the quirky stalk To switch the high beams on, the staked need to be dragged back about an inch until it stops (no high beams yet), then completely released (another inch).

So if I wanted to flash the high beams twice to a vehicle in front, I would have to:
1. Make sure the High Beam (HB) blue light is not already on in the dash panel.
2 Pull the stalk back and release; HB goes on after release
3. Pull the stalk back and release; HB goes out after release
4 Pull the stalk back and release; HB goes on after release
5. Pull the stalk back and release; HB goes out after release
6. Make sure the High Beam (HB) blue light on the dash is out

Low and behold if you want to flash more times; you might want to have a pad with a pencil so that you can keep count as to where you are.

The stalk high beam feature works exactly like the left foot high beam switch on cars, eons back. Now I do not need all the features of the Smart Wheel (but they would be nice), but FR give me a break, the high beam control is butt ugly. I would even go for having the pushbutton control on top of the light switch do high beam flashing.

Now for all of you snoring and saying I could care less about High Beam flashing; I say that's your choice. However I do say for all to get to know how the front of your RV lights up and when, because it seems that many do not know.
Hank
Old 12-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #48

Quote:
Rich, I wish what you said is the case, but partially pulling the stalk back does nothing. The light controls are also somewhat quirky; let me show what I found:

The light control has three rotary positions and a push feature for the fog lights.

Off position: RV front is dark, fog button does nothing and cannot flash high beams with the stalk.

Middle (Running) position: Marker lights front and all around the RV. Fog lights do not work and cannot flash high beams with the stalk.

On position:
Running lights on and low beam (large reflector) or high beams (smaller reflector) if selected with the stalk. When high beams are on, the low beams go out; for which I would think that we would have way better light with both on. The fog lights will work in this position.

All of the above is applicable whether in Neutral or Drive.

Now for the quirky stalk To switch the high beams on, the staked need to be dragged back about an inch until it stops (no high beams yet), then completely released (another inch).

So if I wanted to flash the high beams twice to a vehicle in front, I would have to:
1. Make sure the High Beam (HB) blue light is not already on in the dash panel.
2 Pull the stalk back and release; HB goes on after release
3. Pull the stalk back and release; HB goes out after release
4 Pull the stalk back and release; HB goes on after release
5. Pull the stalk back and release; HB goes out after release
6. Make sure the High Beam (HB) blue light on the dash is out

Low and behold if you want to flash more times; you might want to have a pad with a pencil so that you can keep count as to where you are.

The stalk high beam feature works exactly like the left foot high beam switch on cars, eons back. Now I do not need all the features of the Smart Wheel (but they would be nice), but FR give me a break, the high beam control is butt ugly. I would even go for having the pushbutton control on top of the light switch do high beam flashing.

Now for all of you snoring and saying I could care less about High Beam flashing; I say that's your choice. However I do say for all to get to know how the front of your RV lights up and when, because it seems that many do not know.
Hank

Hank, I went out to my storage place today and found out the same thing as you. I can't believe that there is no flash feature also. But, I guess the same criteria is not used that would be used in designing features for passenger cars. That being said, since freightliner is the largest class a chassis manufacturer, one would think that they would have some features tailored to the RV market. Anyway, thanks for the info, Hank.

Rich
Old 12-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #49

VIP Smart Wheel?

Quote:
Wayne, For my 2012, if the rotary light switch is off, there is no front lights with engine running and in Drive. Also, see my response to Rich.

Hank

Hank the problem is our 2015 XL does not have a rotary switch it has rocker switches.

Wayne
Old 12-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #50

Rich, I would think that the criteria for High Beam flashing should be the same for cars, coaches and truck. Marker (running) Light flashing however isn't applicable to cars and many trucks have it. You do get Marker Light flashing with the Smart Wheel.
Hank
Old 12-04-2015, 04:09 PM   #51

VIP Smart Wheel?

Quote:
Hank the problem is our 2015 XL does not have a rotary switch it has rocker switches.

Wayne

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1449263351.152424.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  109.7 KB

Wayne
Old 12-04-2015, 04:11 PM   #52

Quote:
Hank the problem is out 2015 XL does not have a rotary switch it has rocker switches.

Wayne
Wayne, so the 2015's and up have rocker switches instead of the rotary dial. But what does that mean as far as their functionality and the way High Beam flashing works?

Hank
Old 12-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #53

Wayne, I just zoomed into the leftmost button, and it appears to control high beams. Great, but how about its functionality? Does it work with the light off?
Can both the high beams and headlights be turned on together (mine can't)? There is not a switch for running lights,; I suppose they come one with the engine or Drive?
Hank
Old 12-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #54

Quote:
Wayne, so the 2015's and up have rocker switches instead of the rotary dial. But what does that mean as far as their functionality and the way High Beam flashing works?

Hank

Hank the left most rocker controls the dash brightness does nothing to the headlights. The middle rocker turns on the parking or headlights. The high beams or cruse control is done from the stick on the column just like your auto might have. But like I said when in drive I believe the lights turn on as running lights and I don't think the stick over rides the running lights. I am not sure of that part but believe so.

Wayne
Old 12-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #55

This is my project when I get home from work. I only used my brights once and now I can't even remember how I turned them on. I do have the round control button.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #56

Quote:
Hank the left most rocker controls the dash brightness does nothing to the headlights. The middle rocker turns on the parking or headlights. The high beams or cruse control is done from the stick on the column just like your auto might have. But like I said when in drive I believe the lights turn on as running lights and I don't think the stick over rides the running lights. I am not sure of that part but believe so.

Wayne
Wayne; I had high hopes that your leftmost switch is for High Beams. Correctly if I am wrong, but your middle switch appears to be three positions, namely Off, Running Lights and headlights. To me this takes the place of my three position rotary switch and I would speculate that your light functions works as I stated in my post #47.

There has been some past threads from many unsatisfied with the amount and coverage of driving light at night. Many have turned to installing more potent bulbs. My discovery that when the high beams come on the regular beams go off seems wrong. If both were on, there would be more light and better coverage.

Hank
Old 12-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #57
marialee-Berkshire410qs

BamaBob
We purchased the Berkshire 410QS new. My husband wanted the big engine

marialee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #58

Hank I miss the smart wheel I had in previous MH. As you said the light control is off parking lights and head lights.

Wayne
Old 12-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #59

I guess I'm not getting my point across if you're traveling down the road without touching the light control the low beams are on as driving lights so you can not turn the low beams off as courtesy lights to tell a truck driver he is clear to come over. And without putting your light control in head light mode you can not turn on the brights so a lot of switch moving.

Wayne
Old 12-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #60

Quote:
I guess I'm not getting my point across if you're traveling down the road without touching the light control the low beams are on as driving lights so you can not turn the low beams off as courtesy lights to tell a truck driver he is clear to come over. And without putting your light control in head light mode you can not turn on the brights so a lot of switch moving.

Wayne
Haven't had the opportunity to drive the Berk out at night yet or the need to flash someone yet but see your point. That sucks !!

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel