Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
VIP Smart Wheel?

One thing that irritates me about the 2016 Berkshire is Forest River's failure to update to a VIP Smart Wheel...I mean, seriously, entry Level autos come equipped with Smart Wheels these days, why is this feature missing on a $200K+ MoHo?!

The Charleston has a Smart Wheel and, since the Berkshire and Charleston both use the same Freightliner XCR Chassis, how hard would it be for Forest River to put a darn smart wheel on a Berkshire? (And offer a factory retrofit for existing Berk owners).

Hopefully someone from the Diesel Division reads this thread and makes the decision to start putting Smart Wheels on Berkshires...having a Smart Wheel isn't just a luxury, it is an important update for driver safety!
__________________

__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Campin Cajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cut Off, La.
Posts: 1,830
I would like one also, and could be a deciding factor between an XLT or Newmar Ventana. VT has the smart wheel among other amenities that the XLT doesn't. MSRP is almost identical though.
__________________

__________________
2013 Berkshire 390BH
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Easley, South Carolina
Posts: 645
Anyone ever check with Freightliner as whether the steering wheel could be swapped out with a smart wheel ? For all we know the added wiring connections could be there.
__________________
Joe & Lori

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
gasman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southwestern Mi
Posts: 1,201
I would also love to see a smartwheel on the new Berks. I think that a retrofit is a good idea, but something would have to be done with the redundant switches (wipers, cruise) It would also be a big improvement over the current wiper switch in both ease of use and placing it within a safe distance to enable. I hate being in a downpour and having to take my eye off of the road, reach over and adjust the wipers. Also would be nice to update the smartwheel to include audio functions.

Rich
__________________
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Anyone ever check with Freightliner as whether the steering wheel could be swapped out with a smart wheel ? For all we know the added wiring connections could be there.
Funny you should ask I have a RFI to VIP Smart Wheels -- waiting for a reply from their Engineering Department as we speak
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I would like one also, and could be a deciding factor between an XLT or Newmar Ventana. VT has the smart wheel among other amenities that the XLT doesn't. MSRP is almost identical though.
I hear you CC - problem is, I am such a Forest River FanBoy that the thought of going to another manufacturer would be a VERY painful decision (in more ways than one...I am pretty sure if I switched, my DW would kill me )
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Easley, South Carolina
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Funny you should ask I have a RFI to VIP Smart Wheels -- waiting for a reply from their Engineering Department as we speak
That's funny I also shot them an email asking what is involved in the change over. Not sure but doesn't seem to involved. Could be wrong though ( it's happen a couple of times in my life ) . Couple of links that I found.

RV Tech Library - Smart Wheel

Home | Vehicle Improvement Products Inc.
__________________
Joe & Lori

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Easley, South Carolina
Posts: 645
I'd be all over this mod if do able. More buttons all the better . I don't think you'd necessarily have to disable the others, but I could be wrong again. Damn I hate that !
__________________
Joe & Lori

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
I would also love to see a smartwheel on the new Berks. I think that a retrofit is a good idea, but something would have to be done with the redundant switches (wipers, cruise) It would also be a big improvement over the current wiper switch in both ease of use and placing it within a safe distance to enable. I hate being in a downpour and having to take my eye off of the road, reach over and adjust the wipers. Also would be nice to update the smartwheel to include audio functions.

Rich
So the smart wheel doesn't control the radio as well? IMHO, that is a really poor design. On a GMC Acadia that I had I could control the radio, heat and AC and some other functions. Seems they should be able to put these functions on the wheel as well.
__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
gasman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southwestern Mi
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
So the smart wheel doesn't control the radio as well? IMHO, that is a really poor design. On a GMC Acadia that I had I could control the radio, heat and AC and some other functions. Seems they should be able to put these functions on the wheel as well.
Tom, it just controls cruise, wipers, and headlight/marker lamp flash functions. Probably not enough of an improvement for me to make the investment/switch/upgrade on my current coach. Would be nice to have on next coach, though. Maybe by then it will offer even more features/functionality.


Rich
__________________

__________________
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.