Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #1

Visiting Yosemite

Anybody entered or exited on the East side from Nevada in a 40 foot coach?? Is that road "do-able"??

How about from the California side?? Looks like there are only two roads coming in..... Either CA 120 or CA 41.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #2

I took the east entrance in 2012. There is as 6% grade and the roads are very good. No hanging over the edge. From the west, there is three entrances; 140, 120 and 41. They are all full of switchbacks. I took 41 out, upon leaving. I stayed in the valley with the 40 ft Berk. It was quite difficult to get a reservation and there are very few 40 ft campsites. One must go online no more then one minute after the reservation window opens. I was there in Sept. There is a problem with reservations, that I discovered too late. If you want early in the month, when the reservation window opens, you will find that some made reservations in the prior month that carried into the month I wanted. Therefore, a word to the wise, you can book in the month before and carry over to your dates, then later cancel the front end dates.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
I took the east entrance in 2012. There is as 6% grade and the roads are very good. No hanging over the edge. From the west, there is three entrances; 140, 120 and 41. They are all full of switchbacks. I took 41 out, upon leaving. I stayed in the valley with the 40 ft Berk. It was quite difficult to get a reservation and there are very few 40 ft campsites. One must go online no more then one minute after the reservation window opens. I was there in Sept. There is a problem with reservations, that I discovered too late. If you want early in the month, when the reservation window opens, you will find that some made reservations in the prior month that carried into the month I wanted. Therefore, a word to the wise, you can book in the month before and carry over to your dates, then later cancel the front end dates.
Thanks.... Good info..... I wasn't aware that any NP took reservations.

Unless there's been a recent change, most I've been to are first come, first serve.

Boowho??
Old 04-11-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

Boowho, we are finding more and more NP takes resverations, we had resverations in Death Valley a few months ago. NPS resveration web site is Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Thanks.... Good info..... I wasn't aware that any NP took reservations.

Unless there's been a recent change, most I've been to are first come, first serve.

Boowho??

On Apr 15 at 7 AM PST, you can reserve through www.recreation.gov, for Aug 15 to Sep 14. The reservation. System for Yosemite is a moving window. See....
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camping.htm

The North Pines and Lower Pines campgrounds in the valley have a few 40 ft sites. Crane Flat, just outside the Valley has 40 ft sites. To get a site is not easy. You need to study the site maps, chose several and be online at www.recreation.gov one second after 7 AM PST to make your reservation. I believe you should register with recreation.gov way beforehand. You should also get familiar with the site beforehand.

Yosemite has many campgrounds all over its million acres, but most will not handle a 40 footer and the Valley is the place to be. Mariposa Groves on 41 has many tall Sequoias is a suggested side trip. Note that the Tioga Pass entrance from the East is now closed due tow snow and will open in May to June.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #6

The NPS.gov site even suggest the following:

"For your best chance of getting a reservation, be sure your clock is set accurately and start the first few steps of the reservation process at www.recreation.gov before 7 am Pacific time."

I guess that you need to set your clock with an atomic time!
Old 04-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #7

??
Old 04-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:

"For your best chance of getting a reservation, be sure your clock is set accurately and start the first few steps of the reservation process at Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov before 7 am Pacific time."

Hank, thanks for all that info....... However, if it's THAT complicated/difficult to get in to ANYWHERE then we won't want anything to do with it.

Life's to short to have to compete that much; I ran the rat-race all my life; now I'm retired and won't compete over anything.... Would rather just not go in the first place!!

SO many nice places to go where there are NO crowds. That's OUR cup of tea.

Thanks again for your care/concern for me

boowho??
Old 04-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #9

Stay outside the park. There is a fantastic Escapees park about half an hour away. Great wifi, full hookups including cable with HBO. Park of the Sierras. It's a nice drive in the toad. We have been here two weeks and visited Yosemite three times. No hassle and you can get away from the crowds in the park. Yeah. There's already tons of people on your buses.

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekeepers View Post
Stay outside the park. There is a fantastic Escapees park about half an hour away. Great wifi, full hookups including cable with HBO. Park of the Sierras. It's a nice drive in the toad. We have been here two weeks and visited Yosemite three times. No hassle and you can get away from the crowds in the park. Yeah. There's already tons of people on your buses.
Yep, we're Skips and have already looked at POTS. Probably where we'll wind up staying. I don't know if it's a rainbow park or a co-op. The co-op parks do not generally take reservations, AFAIK. We're currently at the co-op in Benson until the end of April.

Thanks

Boowho??
Old 04-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #11

Talking

Quote:

"For your best chance of getting a reservation, be sure your clock is set accurately and start the first few steps of the reservation process at www.recreation.gov before 7 am Pacific time."

If you have smart phone set alarms to go off at the time you need and send e-mails to remind ya. Set to auto to go on line via Wi-Fi. If camping have all sent to Tela vision. Cheat like the snow birds!!!!!!
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Cheat like the snow birds!!!!!!
I was a little puzzled by this comment, but then I noticed you are from Callahan.

Boowho??
Old 04-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
Site Team

if you visit Yosemite in March-April or Oct.-Nov., you shouldn't have to make reservations and the weather is still great.
May and Sept. used to be the same but more and more people found out about it and now both months are almost as bad as Summertime.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #14

Not sure they take reservations at park Sierra. We called a couple of hours before we got here. It is a coop but they seem to have people coming in and leaving. Lots if the folks we met are leaving for the summer. We are headed north to Alaska. Leaving here tomorrow. Yosemite is nice right now. Lots if wildflowers. Snow has mostly melted except for the mountaintops.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekeepers View Post
Not sure they take reservations at park Sierra. We called a couple of hours before we got here. It is a coop but they seem to have people coming in and leaving. Lots if the folks we met are leaving for the summer. We are headed north to Alaska. Leaving here tomorrow. Yosemite is nice right now. Lots if wildflowers. Snow has mostly melted except for the mountaintops.
Enjoy Alaska!!!

Did you winter at POTS?? We wintered in Yuma, then came to Benson on Valentine Day.

Boowho??
Old 04-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
if you visit Yosemite in March-April or Oct.-Nov., you shouldn't have to make reservations and the weather is still great.
May and Sept. used to be the same but more and more people found out about it and now both months are almost as bad as Summertime.
Thanks for the info....

Boowho??
Old 04-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #17

We spent the winter in Quartszite then went to Death Valley, Sequoia, and kings canyon before coming here. Leaving tomorrow.