Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2015, 11:31 PM   #1

Wanting to add a washer/dryer to new-to-me 2014 Berkshire

Hi,
As noted in an earlier thread, we purchased a new-to-us 2014 Berkshire (10K miles) last week. It did not have a washer/dryer and we are investigating getting one installed. The Splendide model is 33 1/8 high, 23 1/2 wide, & 22 1/4 deep. I don't think a unit of this size will fit in the door and then make it past the residential fridge doors. I can't picture hitting the road for any prolonged period without the washer/dryer option.
Has anyone added the washer and dryer post purchase? What make/model did you purchase? And how was it installed? Approx cost?

I read somewhere in the forum that the living room window had to be removed to get it into the coach. Then the fridge door s would have to be removed to get it down the hall into the bedroom.......

Any thoughts and advisements would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:25 AM   #2

Fred,

We bought a 2014 390RB-40 in Sept. We had the dealer install the stack able separate washer and dryer. I thought it was a real tight maneuver but that they could be brought in through the door, I could be wrong cause I wasn't there when brought in and didn't ask.

Also doing some research before buying it looks like even though the combination unit does an all right job at washing it takes a while in the drying mode. The stack able units so I'm told ( cause we haven't used ours yet ) do a much better job.

Not sure what the cost was for units and install, the Dealer made it part of the deal after the actual sale. They must have felt guilty about something ( maybe the cost of extended warranty ) cause I complained to them some on that.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:33 AM   #3

I can tell you the units FR supplies can be removed so I am sure they can be added as well. They will have to remove or unhook doors and maybe chairs but it can be done.

Wayne
Old 10-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #4

Stackable separate units by Whirlpool came on our coach, the Bride says they are great! I've never heard anything positive about the combined units.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Stackable separate units by Whirlpool came on our coach, the Bride says they are great! I've never heard anything positive about the combined units.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Paul

X2

Our first MH had a combined unit. Took water to dry making steam that was the last and only.

Wayne
Old 10-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #6

We have a stackable Whirlpool and had to replace the washer. It went through the door. Very tight but it fit. 2011 RB

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #7

One thing to remember is the repair guy or gal will not unstack the WD to work on it. I have never used a combo WD so I can't comment on how they work. I hear that the vented unit is much better as I assume it keeps the steam out. We live our stackable WD. We full time and it's all we use. When we are in beautiful sunny and warm Florida all winter when it's freezing up north it works great.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
One thing to remember is the repair guy or gal will not unstack the WD to work on it. I have never used a combo WD so I can't comment on how they work. I hear that the vented unit is much better as I assume it keeps the steam out. We live our stackable WD. We full time and it's all we use. When we are in beautiful sunny and warm Florida all winter when it's freezing up north it works great.

Phil you seem like a nice guy ( Craig even said you were ) but you just keep throwing the digs in.

when you get down South. I hear it's suppose to be much colder down there this winter.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 10-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #9

Joe that's just mean. Also don't believe everything you hear.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #10

Much cooler 65 instead of 70

Wayne
Old 10-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #11

Check to make sure the W/D is properly strapped down

Bought our 2015 36 foot, fifth wheel in March with the Splendide vented combo installed. We returned last week from a Three month trip to Alaska. The W/D worked well for us although the dryer is a little slow. But returning through Canada we had a problem with the W/D unit. While trying to make a left hand turn in a Wal-Mart parking lot the wheels of the trailer ran up over a curb. (Not Good) At our next stop for the night the W/D unit had turned over in the closet. I was able to return the unit to the pedestal and everything on the W/D worked OK. Five days later on Canada highway 99 there was an unusual left turn followed by a sharp turn to the right going down a 12% grade. WOW! Well guess what when we got to our next overnight stop the W/D was turned over again. This time there was NO fixing the W/D. When we got to Seattle I went to Camping World to see if anything could be done for the W/D unit. After checking the W/D they said it couldn't be repaired. Fortunately they had a new one in stock so $1348.86 later we were back on the road. I have an extended warranty but they said they would not cover the washer because the policy doesn't cover loose or broken screws.
Monday I'm taking the RV back to the dealer I bought it from for some other problems I have with the trailer. And I want them to explain why the washer-dryer was not properly strapped down and had just two ell brackets and screws across the bottom of the W/D. I think they should pay for the replacement of the Splendide.
Gene85222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Phil you seem like a nice guy ( Craig even said you were ) but you just keep throwing the digs in.

when you get down South. I hear it's suppose to be much colder down there this winter.
Throwing digs is all we full timers have to do. Being retired, and NO lawns to mow, shrubs to trim, etc, etc, etc we have plenty of time to aggravate you non-retired, non-full timers from here in the sunny, warm south.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Throwing digs is all we full timers have to do. Being retired, and NO lawns to mow, shrubs to trim, etc, etc, etc we have plenty of time to aggravate you non-retired, non-full timers from here in the sunny, warm south.

Boowho??

We do have a need to stay busy.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:

Boowho??

Ain't that the truth. Amen!

Paul
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #15

Quote:

Boowho??

Yeah I think I'll fit in just fine.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 10-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #16

Put a combo LG w/d in my Sunseeker 3170ds in the bunk area. Had to do the plumbing as it didn't come pre done. Removed the couch, and placed the full sized unit with door towards rear. I love it- it does take longer to dry and you have to use the timed dry- but no laundromat! If full hook up no extra $. It does full sized load in the 4.2 cf drum. One caveat-use the hoses it comes with, not flood free ones because you need the volume of water to make the dispensers work.
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #17

Here's the Berkshire cousin speaking up again
We squeezed (or Coachmen did ) a full size sofa hide-a-bed through our door....so I'm sure a stackable washer / dryer will fit.

We have the splindyde stackable in ours....GREAT feature

BTW
Phil and Craig are both pretty nice guys

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #18

Paulie Boy - can you send me the model #'s of your Whirlpool washer/dryer. After all I've read, the stackable unit seems to be the best of us.

Thanks,
Fred
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #19
Berkshire 390QS

We had a combo washer/dryer non-vented would wash ok but poor job of drying. Removed it and now have extra storage room. Had to take door off to get it outside. If we were to put one in it would be a stackabe unit.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #20

Does anyone else have their washer that smells(stinks)? If so how did you get rid of the smell our has smelled and and ruined clothes since it was 6 months old. We used it 2 to 3 times a week. I've tried bleach, vinegar, wash machine cleaner nothing seems to work.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, berkshire