Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #1

Wardrobe smell

The DW has been complaining (that never happens NOT) since we took possession in March 2015 about her clothes smelling after they have been in the wardrobe. Even after saying something to dealer they could find nothing causing the smell. We purchased cedar blocks you hang in closets but that has not helped. I brought a cloth bag into our house that had been stored in the wardrobe and even I can smell it on the bag.
Any one else experienced this.
One odd thing when we went on the FR tour weeks ago she did not notice the smell in any new units but she did not open any wardrobes.

Wayne
Old 10-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #2

First I'd scrub out this cabinet with a cleaning product that won't affect the finish, probably multiple times. Next I'd leave it open whenever it's not in use/storage. Typically the "new" or unpleasant smells that come from new RV's will diminish over time so anything you can do to accelerate this process will cause the smell to disappear sooner! Good luck.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
The DW has been complaining (that never happens NOT) since we took possession in March 2015 about her clothes smelling after they have been in the wardrobe. Even after saying something to dealer they could find nothing causing the smell. We purchased cedar blocks you hang in closets but that has not helped. I brought a cloth bag into our house that had been stored in the wardrobe and even I can smell it on the bag.
Any one else experienced this.
One odd thing when we went on the FR tour weeks ago she did not notice the smell in any new units but she did not open any wardrobes.

Wayne
Wayne by wardrobe do you mean rear closet or the drawers ? Uhh, what's the smell smell like ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:55 PM   #4

Is it a smell from construction or a musty smell. With a RB we sometimes had a musty smell from the moisture from the shower settling in the linen and clothes closets. I now make sure we run the vent fan for a long time after a shower and I keep a keep-dri bucket in the linen closet. No more smell.
Your not getting any motor smells in the MH are you?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

Our clothes also have a smell after sitting in the drawers of the 'wardrobe'. It's not really a bad smell, it is just more of a wood smell.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #6

Wood smell would be a welcome addition.
Phil no road smell just what I told the DW it smells musty. We too have a RB but only smell this in the Wardrobe slide.
Joe our floor plan has a slide in the bedroom that contains drawers and cabinets for hanging clothes.
I am wondering could slide gaskets not be seating causing moisture to get it or since slide is above rear axle is moisture coming off tires into slide causing it.
We are leaving tomorrow afternoon for NC and then SC.

Wayne
Old 10-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #7

If its a musty smell then you definitly have water/moisture where it shouldnt be. You can buy a moisture meter ,they are not that expensive. I would get one and compare readings in different closets,if the "musty" one is even a little bit high I would either hole saw or spade bit a 1" dia hole in the closet wall and poke the meter in it.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

If I may suggest.

DampRid Disposable Moisture Absorber with Activated Charcoal - BedBathandBeyond.com

Walmart here sells it as well.
Buy a tub and set it in the room with the doors propped open, let it sit for awhile.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #9

Is it near your washer and dryer cabinet? There is a vent in there that can stink if the valve opens.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #10

Rich no not near the washer & dryer cabinet.

Wayne
Old 10-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #11

Ok Wayne, just a thought. Smelled sewer in ours last summer and found that the valve had dried out and vapor was coming out the vent. Just took it off, wet the valve, put some water into the vent pipe and no more problem.

Rich
Old 10-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #12

Change the vent for the washing machine. There is a panel on the left of the closet. Remove panel it's right in there. Lowes/ home depot has them for a couple dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #13

Don't have washer or dryer

Wayne
Old 10-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #14

You still have the vent I believe. It certainly could be the culprit. Lots of reported issues with them.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #15

Aren't they all plumbed for it? The option is for the machine and hook up? If so there is a drain in wall, make sure it's caped off. Just a thought.

klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post
Aren't they all plumbed for it? The option is for the machine and hook up? If so there is a drain in wall, make sure it's caped off. Just a thought.

I believe that the valve is there on all of them. Without use, becomes dry and seal is lost. I also bought a spare at Lowes and keep it in the coach. Don't have my Berk here, but I believe this is the valve Shop Keeney Mfg. Co. 1-1/2-in Plastic Mechanical Plumbing Air Admittance Vent at Lowes.com

Rich
Old 10-07-2015, 06:40 AM   #17

Had that problem on our RV, not the same unit as yours but the smell was in the kitchen area. bad vent under the island sink. $19.95 at HD and the smell is gone.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote