Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher

So much of this just makes no sense.

1. For a few hundred dollars, a licensed surveyor can make a determination and give you an elevation certificate. With this doc, if you are not in a flood zone, it's a slam dunk of an appeal.

2. Even if you were in a zone, insurance is really cheap - I was paying $500 a year in Florida - that's about as bad as it gets for flooding folks! If they were charging you $200 a month, then that was a force-placed policy which is done after several letters and notifications and basically your refusal to do something.

3. So you took a $75k loss because you didn't want to pay an extra $200 a month? I call b.s. on that on it's face.

Maybe someone more knowledgable than me can comment on what was spun off when, but I think GMAC mortgage is separate from the GM finance and Chrysler auto finance units that were packaged together and sold off as Ally Bank. Ford finance I believe is still owned by Ford because they took a $9 billion in government "loans" so that Ford wouldn't go under or take a "bailout". Brilliant the way they played that so the gullible would keep buying Fords over other brands for that reason.
Once again I have had to report you since you can't keep your ignorance to yourself. This is a friendly forum and calling people suckers and gullible isn't acceptable. Maybe someday you'll learn?!?!
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Once again I have had to report you since you can't keep your ignorance to yourself...?!?!
????????

As I suggested a few posts back, I think it is time to close this thread!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc

????????

As I suggested a few posts back, I think it is time to close this thread!
Wincrasher has been warned before about calling a certain group of members (Ford owners) names. He seems to think he isnt required to follow forum rules.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
So your $75,000 loss was not because of GMAC but the housing market being in the tank? We had our house on the market in 2010 for 6 months and never even got a nibble due to the housing market. Realtor said he was selling houses in the $100,000 and less market and had 47 listed in our market and hadn't had a bite on any of them in 4 or 5 months.

Understand your frustration with GMAC, but not to the extent of causing you a loss as stated.

No, my loss was NOT directly caused by GMAC and I apologize for making that insinuation. But had I NOT found that buyer when I did (extremely lucky timing), then the house would have had to go into foreclosure.

My main purpose in my first response was to agree with the thread starter and re-enforce the idea of what is coming down the road from GMAC. IMHO, they have become a "predatory" company, and are looking for any way that they can to "fleece" their customers.

Hopefully, Good Sams will find another vendor to partner up with.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Once again I have had to report you since you can't keep your ignorance to yourself. This is a friendly forum and calling people suckers and gullible isn't acceptable. Maybe someday you'll learn?!?!
Darn and I was just about to say somthing about (YUGO) owners! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #46
Site Team - Lou

I think that over time we have all developed firmly held beliefs; some with direct knowledge, some with another's opinion that you respect, and some with anecdotal evidence accepted as fact because it fits well with your preconceived notion of how it should be..

I have found that while most people who have an idea of "how something works" can be convinced to another's point of view by facts (in the form of manuals or textbooks) or a preponderance of evidence contrary to their understanding (links to internet articles from generally accepted experts or forum posters).

However when that understanding is a core belief, things are very different. I have found that no amount of discussion or "facts looked at from another's viewpoint" can sway a person's core belief. One can look no farther than discussions about tow vehicles, ST vs LT tires, politics, religion, or (jeez just look in the papers) to see that when you run into a person's core belief, it is a "no win" situation.

Discussions that start out very "sane and reasonable" quickly spiral out of control because no amount of "facts brought to the discussion" will alter a belief. When your opinions or facts are not accepted, tone and volume increases when you are in the same room to show your frustration.

In a Forum, name calling and personal attacks (overt and by PM) quickly follow. This is why this type of "free speech" is prohibited here.

Make your observation or point; then if you get a response "You JUST HAVE TO respond to"; know that you are being baited into a verbal "fight."
"Baiting" is also a prohibited activity.

I have heard it before and I will hear it again. This is a private board. We have rules here. Moderators are tasked with "keeping order." We can edit posts and threads with, or without, a "courtesy PM"; we can provide the offender with a Warning, Strike (you may or may not get 3 before elevating), or boot you from the board (post some SPAM and see which one you get).

We try very hard to "critique in private" and "praise in public," but sometimes a thread or post can do both for everyone involved in that thread and serve as a reminder of why we have rules of conduct in the first place.

If you see or feel you are being unfairly targeted by a member for your post; report the behavior before it becomes a battle. Report the post AND MOVE ON. Do not feel you must "rebut" the post yourself.

Let a moderator handle any boorish behavior you observe. It may be you are just being "overly sensitive" or "completely justified", but let a Moderator decide. It is safer that way.

Look at a post and decide for yourself if it has merit. We have a LOT of smart folks here and you could actually be wrong in your understanding or belief. We also have folks who want to be helpful, but have faulty knowledge, are repeating something they heard or read from someone else, or have a core belief about something very different from yours.

"Caveat Lector" means "Let the reader beware." Play nice; learn; teach.

Sorry for the lecture (really) but I hope the forum as a whole takes something positive from this post.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #47

Herk,I am going to impose a self (Time Out) for my (Yugo) remark! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Darn and I was just about to say somthing about (YUGO) owners! Youroo!!
My other car is a Yugo, so go easy there pal I'd get a double whammy
Old 11-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #49

Well stated Herk. I would have used fewer words though .

My original post, regrettably deleted and not edited, should have been more like this:

In 2010 I was forced placed insurance on my home in Florida. I had recieved 2 letters from the bank. Both had compliance deadlines of 45 days. I blew off the first one as I thought it was in error. The second I saw I was only 2" off on elevation, so I though I'd fight with them. In the end, I discovered that there were two requirements specified in my mortgage contract - zone and elevation. If you were in the zone, but not high enough, you still had to get the insurance. If you were high enough, you didn't need it.

The forced placed insurance was quite expensive - $1900 for something I could get myself for $400. So I bought the insurance. I called the bank and they reversed the charge and credited almost all of the policy cost - short the 3 weeks it took me to comply.

So what I'm saying to the OP is that he had another course of action. These rules are not some government imposed conspiracy. All banks adopt rules so their mortgages "conform" to the rules set by Fannie and Freddie Mac. Doing that makes their securities saleable on the open market and then frees up more money for lending to other mortgage seekers.

After my episode with them, I would get a letter from the bank reminding me of insurance deadlines for both homeowners and flood. Some were dated a few days before the actual deadlines. Annoying, yes.

Mortgages originated in 2009 and later have additional rules for creditworthiness that were meant to protect the banking system from more bad loans, and therefore more bailout expenses. None of those changes effect insurance requirements.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #50
Take The Road Less Travld

It's Been a year

Well, it's been a year almost since the last post on this thread. I thought about just opening a new post due to some pages having nothing to do with what I was looking for, but there was a lot of good information in the beginning of this thread, so I kept it.

I recently got a quote from Good Sam which was about $75 dollars more than my premium at progressive. But, Good Sam promised a payback off premium when the TT was in "storage mode" which was very intriguing because it would bring down my yearly premium making it lower than that of Progressive, but there is always a catch you have to consider. so I looked at my number one source for RV information, Forest river forums

After reading the mixed reviews, I think I may just stay with Progressive. They strive on customer service which was mentioned several times in this thread and that is number one to me over the cost of the insurance. We don't take out the trailer that much. I'd say 20 days or so which I'd like more, but made the Good Sam storage payback a good selling point. It doesn't seem that anyone really mentioned this as a positive point nor were there any positive claims that really stood out for Good Sam.

My two cents:
Shop around for the best insurance in your area, but look at all the options of the insurance itself. Compare line for line. Buying a new RV forced us to look at our options and we ended up moving from American Family to Progressive for our cars and RV saving a couple hundred dollars a year, Even after the promotional signups and credits. I always look at the longer term costs and overlook the short term signup discounts.

I still haven't found enough information to make me feel comfortable with moving to Good Sam. Any experienced with Good Sam regarding their Payback program or claims process would be appreciated.
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #51

I have GS. Their "payback" is that they ask you how many days you expect to use your RV and quote you a premium based on that. Nothing more.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I have GS. Their "payback" is that they ask you how many days you expect to use your RV and quote you a premium based on that. Nothing more.
Good Sam says they will send you a refund for every 30 continuous days you have your trailer in storage. You have to call when you want to put it in storage or take it out. Storage can be considered your driveway. According to the sales guy for Good Sam insurance, if I never took out the trailer for the entire year, I would have only paid around $80-100 for the 12 month pre paid premium after getting back my storage kick back. Sounds great at first but I like getting ratings and doing the research.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #53

I asked them about it when I renewed in August and reported above what I was told. Perhaps they changed, or the person I spoke to didn't know what they were talking about.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #54
DDC

If the sun rises in the east insurance goes up, if the sun sets in the west insurance goes up. It's a bit like gas pricing too.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #55

We have Good Sam Insurance, got it last May, plus we added our vehicles to it also. We had Progressive for Motorhome and USAA for vehicles, we saved 1200 over a year. I was dreading the renewal fee after hearing all the horror stories but ours actually went down a few bucks... So I can say so far we are very pleased with the insurance. We haven't put Motorhome in storage yet to see what happens with that but we were told we would get the collision part of insurance back for however many months it was in storage.
MELPAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELPAYNE View Post
We have Good Sam Insurance, got it last May, plus we added our vehicles to it also. We had Progressive for Motorhome and USAA for vehicles, we saved 1200 over a year. I was dreading the renewal fee after hearing all the horror stories but ours actually went down a few bucks... So I can say so far we are very pleased with the insurance. We haven't put Motorhome in storage yet to see what happens with that but we were told we would get the collision part of insurance back for however many months it was in storage.
Thanks for the input. Keep us updated!
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!