Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #1

Washing machine doesn't fill on Berkshire 34QS

We just took delivery of our new 34QS and it has the optional washer and dryer installed at the factory. I can't get water into the washing machine. I've got water everywhere else in the coach, but I can't find any valve to open water to the machine.
Suggestions welcome, hoping to save a one-hour trip to the dealer.
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Director, FROG

There should be a faucet handle for both the hot and cold hoses in the cabinet behind the washer. Have you checked there?

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #3

Hi

Look in the wardrobe floor on the right to the washing machine, at the bottom there is openeing where you can see the plumbing, In addition, on the wall separating the washing machine and the Wardrobe, there is little braces connected with two screws when you open it you have access to the beck side of the washing machine.

My 17 cents ��
Hashimshony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #4

Are the valves turned on at the manifold in the wet bay? I think Forest River Diesel is the only coach with this feature and it might confuse some.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #5

My berk 34qs only has valves at the manifold. Nothing behind the washer.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #6

Had the exact same problem on my 2015 Charleston. There were cutoff valves on the water lines on the right side of the washer, near the back wall. Couldn't get my arm to fit all the way to the back, so I used the hook end of a crowbar to gently nudge the valves to where I could reach them. After that works with no issues! Good luck!!!
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #7

It could take 2 minutes for the water to start flowing after the red light indicating door is locked. try it again and wait the 2-3 minutes to see f the water is flowing. It does not use a whole lot of water like you may be looking for like at home.
oldkeywest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #8

Thanks to all for the speedy and helpful responses. I had to get the 34QS from the parking lot to check them out. The washer-dryer is between the tankless water heater and the master closet in the 34QS. I looked on the tankless side, at the kick panel below the washer, the kick panel below the closet.
The correct answer is in the clothes closet itself. There is a panel with 4 screws. Remove them and there is access to the valves and the power plugs.
Of course, it is on that side because it is closest to the manifold. Duh.

That does make me wonder about the value of the Berkshire manifold:
1. There are a lot of shutoff valves all over the coach, so the manifold just gives one set at one point. But you need to use the others to drain the pipes, etc.
2. The water heater is right beside the washer, but the water has to take a 25 foot round trip to the manifold and back before it gets to the washer. Why not just run the washer from the heater for hot water and the supply line to the heater for the cold?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:12 PM   #9

gordonsick,
The entire wash cycle uses only 6 gallons of water so it doesn't take that much water for it to run.
Also, congrats on your new coach and welcome to the Forums.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #10

Gordonsick, the beauty of the manifold is that if you were to develop a leak in an area that wasnt field servicable, you can shut the water off to just that line and continue to use water elsewhere in the coach
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:46 PM   #11

Yes, I understand and accept that point, and agree with the location of the manifold for the cold water.

But they put the hot water manifold in the wrong place. It should be next to the water heater. I'm going to to start a new thread at some point to discuss with people the process of moving the hot water manifold to the cavity under the washer-dryer on the 34QS. The cavity is covered by a kick plate and is right next to the water heater. It is inside (won't freeze) and is readily accessible. I think the job can be done in steps (one circuit at a time), rather than all at once.

I'm camping right now in cool weather and we are wasting incredible amounts of water and gas just to get the hot water into the lines to wash dishes or take a shower. Thermally, it blows away all the heat efficiency gains of the induced draft blower motor on the Girard tankless water heater.

Tags
berkshire