Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Watch your DEF closely.

Today I was running down I-17 between Flagstaff and Phoenix. Suddenly lost almost ALL power. Thought is might be the turbo since I was showing no boost and going up a pretty good grade.

4+ hours & 600+ dollars later, a road service mechanic determined that the DEF tank was empty. The gauge showed 2 full green bars, but was in fact bone dry.

Just a warning that may be good info for all to know. Apparently, not all those gauges are accurate.

I should get reimbursed for the $$$ thru my insurance, hopefully

Plus, I finally got that damn hatch in the rear opened up; the result of the mech needing access to trouble shooting my turbo.

Boowho??
__________________

boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
davel1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 2,377
How is insurance responsible for a mechanical failure? This should be a warranty issue if still covered, otherwise it's on you.
__________________

__________________
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 155
DEF fluid turns into this white crusty substance as it evaporates. Guess what the inside of your DEF tank looks like. You guessed it-one hell of a mess. It's no wonder the DEF tank gauges are so inaccurate. I ALWAYS have a 2.5 gallon jug in my truck at all times in case I run out on the road. If you ever have a loss of power in a DEF system truck, add DEF 1st and see what happens. This coming from a service director for 2 Dodge dealerships. I see it every day................My customers say DEF is nasty and they will not carry it in their truck-I tell them I'll see them in 3-4 months to do the same thing all over again...................


IMO-the DEF system is far better than the re-gen crap we used to deal with AS LONG AS YOU KEEP DEF IN THE TANK! For me it's a no brainer and I don't have to keep a re-gen schedule/log as to when I did it and when I need to do it again.
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
How is insurance responsible for a mechanical failure? This should be a warranty issue if still covered, otherwise it's on you.
Gee, Dave...... Never heard of Road Service Insurance? It's available from Good Sams and most other motor vehicle insurance companies. I've carried it on my cars all my life.

Thanks for your positive commentary, though.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
davel1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seaford, De
Posts: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Gee, Dave...... Never heard of Road Service Insurance? It's available from Good Sams and most other motor vehicle insurance companies. I've carried it on my cars all my life.

Thanks for your positive commentary, though.

Boowho??
ah, you should have said that to begin with. Makes sense now. It's just that what people think their automotive insurance policies should cover always amazes me. Doesn't apply here.
__________________
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Gee, Dave...... Never heard of Road Service Insurance? It's available from Good Sams and most other motor vehicle insurance companies. I've carried it on my cars all my life.

Thanks for your positive commentary, though.

Boowho??

You beat me to it. Dang it. I'm sure you will get most of it back.
I leave in the morning and need fuel so I'll fill mine up. I guess I better start keeping track of when I add DEF. I always depend on the gage.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwilliams101 View Post
DEF fluid turns into this white crusty substance as it evaporates. Guess what the inside of your DEF tank looks like. You guessed it-one hell of a mess. It's no wonder the DEF tank gauges are so inaccurate. I ALWAYS have a 2.5 gallon jug in my truck at all times in case I run out on the road. If you ever have a loss of power in a DEF system truck, add DEF 1st and see what happens. This coming from a service director for 2 Dodge dealerships. I see it every day................My customers say DEF is nasty and they will not carry it in their truck-I tell them I'll see them in 3-4 months to do the same thing all over again...................


IMO-the DEF system is far better than the re-gen crap we used to deal with AS LONG AS YOU KEEP DEF IN THE TANK! For me it's a no brainer and I don't have to keep a re-gen schedule/log as to when I did it and when I need to do it again.
Further reinforcement to the point of my original post. Be wary of running out of DEF.

Thank you for your (really) positive commentary. Excellent info from someone who should know.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 277
Looks like keep it full so as to not goober up the gauge... I need to add def asap! Where do you stay in phoenix FYI as we live here?


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
Jc
2014 400BH-60
jcowles3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
15berkxl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mishawaka
Posts: 576
My unit has a gauge on the DEF tank as well as the dash. Both appear to be electronic since key must be on to move so does one feed the other.


Wayne
__________________
Wayne
15berkxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,320
The same thing happened to Superchief. He ran out of DEF even though his gauge showed full. I think he was still under FL warranty at the time.
__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
I-RV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,024
I keep a 2 1/2 gallon DEF in the most aft passenger side compartment. Each time that I get diesel, I fill it. Then when I get to my campground, I fill the DEF at my leisure. The container method also helps getting around the DEF tank being on the wrong side. Works for me.
Hank -
__________________
Gale & Hank- 2012 Berkshire 390BH
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 23
Excuse my ignorance. What is DEF?
clarinetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #13
7 Year Class A RV'er
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 1,063
Guess my OCD might pay off. Most places that we spend a few days in involve a trip to the local Walmart for sodas, milk, etc, so if the light was down a bar I pick up DEF and add it before we pull out. It's about $9 for 2.5 gallons there (store brand). Call me paranoid. Good to know those guages can be off though. Thanks for posting that.
__________________
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
JTN8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetone View Post
Excuse my ignorance. What is DEF?

Diesel Exhaust Fluid. It is used by all of the newer Diesel engines for cleaner emissions.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 57
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
I keep a 2 1/2 gallon DEF in the most aft passenger side compartment. Each time that I get diesel, I fill it. Then when I get to my campground, I fill the DEF at my leisure. The container method also helps getting around the DEF tank being on the wrong side. Works for me.
Hank -
But how do you know when it's full ???

My 2015 coachman Prism 2150LE has no gauge and my DEF tank and fill tubes are opaque. I don't want to run the risk of a 'blind' top-up and have the fluid come screaming up the fill tube then splashing the corrosive fluid all over the engine compartment.

Some say not to worry and just add fluid when low/empty warnings happen. Sure. Risking limited engine starts, 5 MPH maximum speed or even shut-down while giving unreliable and hard to access indication of DEF level is just plain stupid. Shame on you MBenz

I'm considering drilling a hole in my DEF tank and using some kind of 'dip-stick' to check the DEF level. Any ideas?
__________________
2015 Coachmen Prism 2150LE
MBenz Sprinter Chassis
Dennise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 23
Thanks I would have never known that because I know nothing about diesels. I've always driven gas jobs.
clarinetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #17
2012 Solera
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,290
DEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
Diesel Exhaust Fluid. It is used by all of the newer Diesel engines for cleaner emissions. Jason
Except VW...
__________________
JLeising
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: oakdale, ca
Posts: 289
My truck goes 5000 miles on 1 def tank so that my number for my oil changes and refill tank.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #19
2012 Solera
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,290
DEF MBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennise View Post
But how do you know when it's full ???

My 2015 coachman Prism 2150LE has no gauge and my DEF tank and fill tubes are opaque. I don't want to run the risk of a 'blind' top-up and have the fluid come screaming up the fill tube then splashing the corrosive fluid all over the engine compartment.

Some say not to worry and just add fluid when low/empty warnings happen. Sure. Risking limited engine starts, 5 MPH maximum speed or even shut-down while giving unreliable and hard to access indication of DEF level is just plain stupid. Shame on you MBenz

I'm considering drilling a hole in my DEF tank and using some kind of 'dip-stick' to check the DEF level. Any ideas?
Our 2012 Solera uses about one gallon every 2000 miles. After oil change service, when the dealer should fill the DEF, I monitor mileage. After 3000 miles I add one gallon, then one gallon every 2000 miles until the next scheduled maintenance. Avoids both DEF warning lights and spills from overfill. I carry two single gallon jugs of DEF and a hose adaptor for the jugs with me.
__________________
JLeising
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 859
Be careful,,,, DEF has a shelf life of about two years. If you keep topping your tank off you'll have old fluid in there. There's even a 'born on' date on the containers so youll know how fresh it is.
__________________

Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.


×