Old 06-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #1

Water conservation

The first trip with the MH is going great. The weather is much better today and everything seems to working well. A few minor adjustments and starting a list of repairs for the dealer to fix. One issue we have is the water didn't last as long as we thought it would. We are at a state park and no easy way to fill the tanks. I guess we will learn to conserve. I read the thread about dumping the tanks lots of funny stories that I hope not to be part of. One question on dumping do you drain the black tank and then fill it with non pot water at the intake labeled tank flush. Does this flush the black tank or the gray?
Thanks

Old 06-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4109803309.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	14739

This is the valve I was referring to.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That is usually the black tank only. Make sure you dump the tank again after flushing, if you have closed the valve. There really is no need to flush the gray, as the soap for dishes and showers keeps it pretty clean. Just let them get close to full before dumping. We make sure the day or two before we leave we start filling the tanks for the final dump.
(may have to dump them half full earlier, but I want a good final dump before we hitch and come home).
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57
The first trip with the MH is going great. The weather is much better today and everything seems to working well. A few minor adjustments and starting a list of repairs for the dealer to fix. One issue we have is the water didn't last as long as we thought it would. We are at a state park and no easy way to fill the tanks. I guess we will learn to conserve. I read the thread about dumping the tanks lots of funny stories that I hope not to be part of. One question on dumping do you drain the black tank and then fill it with non pot water at the intake labeled tank flush. Does this flush the black tank or the gray?
Thanks
We have a family of 5 and have yet to run out of water. When I know we will be dry camping I open the bay (on the passenger side) where I can see the tank that holds the water. I fill that up till it looks like its bulging. Yes we tell the kids to take short showers and we do conserve water when doing dishes. I think the longest we've been dry camping is 3-4 days. Much longer than that - then yes we would need to fill with fresh water and dump the grey and black.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Future Berkshire Owner

From what I know, when you use the flush port, you are supposed to leave your black tank open. If you have it closed, there is the potential that you could fill the black tank and have the water level then reach the supply level, allowing for direct communication between black tank contents and the potable water supply ( the park's water system). Then it is theoretically possible for the water system to draw from your tank (depending on pressures) if for instance the whole next row of RVs turns on their water at once. This should be prevented by an 'air gap' device or 'backflow prevention device' but these can also fail. I don't know if we have BPDs between those flush ports and the black tanks or not. On BPDs -- you commonly see these attached to sprinkler system supply lines to prevent flow from the sprinkler system back to the house.