Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #1

Water in basement- fyi

I recently have been having water on both sides of my basement area after driving thru heavy rains. From the fresh water tank forward. I have added gasket material to all the doors hoping it would stop the leaking. Yesterday I got caught in another bad storm. Got home and had standing water in all bays again. I was able to trace it to missing foam sealer from the factory. So I thought I would share with everyone in case you have this problem or would like to just check. If you are at the duals look in the fender well toward the front. You will see the frame rails that go into the basement area. On my coach both sides only had half this area sealed. I was able to stick my hand into the basement area from the lack of sealing. After seeing this it looks like the water ran on the frame rails. They were dripping with water. So I sealed it up and hope this has it fixed. Just FYI check your coach and make sure yours is sealed up.
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

I had a similar problem but with a mouse in the pass through bay. I emptied out the bay and crawled in and spray foamed around the frame rails and sealed what ever other opening I could find.
TaterColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterColo View Post
I had a similar problem but with a mouse in the pass through bay. I emptied out the bay and crawled in and spray foamed around the frame rails and sealed what ever other opening I could find.
I didn't even think about mice. Make sure to double check your foam at the back of wet bay. That's were mine had a huge gap.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #4

Thanks a lot!! I've had both probs--the mice and the water. I haven't been able to crawl under there yet, but I'm guessing that's my problem too.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Thanks a lot!! I've had both probs--the mice and the water. I haven't been able to crawl under there yet, but I'm guessing that's my problem too.
I also found the front had huge gaps also. Under front axle just behind fuel tank. You will see the frame rails go in. Same problem as the rear only half was sealed. I just went thru 2 cans of foam checking and resealing everything. I sure hope this works.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

I use the spray foam that doesn't taste good mice so they wouldn't chew through it. Got it at Home Depot. Why Forest River didn't seal it to begin with is beyond me.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #7

I wonder if it needs flexibility for the frame there, although I can't imagine it needing much room to flex.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I wonder if it needs flexibility for the frame there, although I can't imagine it needing much room to flex.
I can understand not tightly fitting the wood around the frame as there might be a little movement.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:

I can understand not tightly fitting the wood around the frame as there might be a little movement.
I agree. But to be able to fit my entire hand in seem like to much. The foam will give it some flex but it was obvious they just missed half the area they should have sealed on both frame rails front and back.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post
I agree. But to be able to fit my entire hand in seem like to much. The foam will give it some flex but it was obvious they just missed half the area they should have sealed on both frame rails front and back.

In visiting the factory, I got the impression that each worker did things the way HE wanted to do it; in other words there was no "official" checklist or inspection done until the very end.

Therefore if worker A filled the cracks on coach ONE and worker B filled the cracks on coach TWO, there was no guarantee that they would be done the same. Same if you were having a "sticks and bricks" house built by a contractor.

I'd guess you were just unlucky enough to get a worker that wasn't quite as conscientious as he could have been or hell, maybe his can of foam just went empty!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

In visiting the factory, I got the impression that each worker did things the way HE wanted to do it; in other words there was no "official" checklist or inspection done until the very end.

Therefore if worker A filled the cracks on coach ONE and worker B filled the cracks on coach TWO, there was no guarantee that they would be done the same. Same if you were having a "sticks and bricks" house built by a contractor.

I'd guess you were just unlucky enough to get a worker that wasn't quite as conscientious as he could have been or hell, maybe his can of foam just went empty!!

Boowho??
Boowho. How do you like the tire /airbag upgrade? Got mine done last week and haven't driven it much yet. What's your thoughts.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

On my coach they foamed some gaps but not others. I think I got worker B that ran out of foam and said "screw it - it's almost quitting time and my buds are already at the bar".
Old 08-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post
Boowho. How do you like the tire /airbag upgrade? Got mine done last week and haven't driven it much yet. What's your thoughts.
Well, it's better than nothing, but I'm still either very close to, or actually overweight in the back. I did gain 1500 lbs on the front axle which is very good. I'm going to run it over a CAT scale as soon as I move it again (This coming Saturday).

The coach drives no differently, but I was VERY happy with the way it handled before the upgrade. It MAY ride just a tiny bit better.

I gained three years on my tire life, but it cost me about $800 in diesel to get to Elkhart. I wouldn't have gone that way if I hadn't needed to do so. I rarely get East of the Rockies.

My wheel covers fit a LOT better (side benefit), but they forgot to re-program the FL computer for the larger tires. So now my odometer, speedometer, etc are off by about 5% (in my favor). I will get this taken care of next time I'm near a FL dealer.

How about your thoughts???

Boowho??
Old 08-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #14

Quote:
On my coach they foamed some gaps but not others. I think I got worker B that ran out of foam and said "screw it - it's almost quitting time and my buds are already at the bar".
HA!!! So true with a lot of workers these days

Boowho??
Old 08-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

Well, it's better than nothing, but I'm still either very close to, or actually overweight in the back. I did gain 1500 lbs on the front axle which is very good. I'm going to run it over a CAT scale as soon as I move it again (This coming Saturday).

The coach drives no differently, but I was VERY happy with the way it handled before the upgrade. It MAY ride just a tiny bit better.

I gained three years on my tire life, but it cost me about $800 in diesel to get to Elkhart. I wouldn't have gone that way if I hadn't needed to do so. I rarely get East of the Rockies.

My wheel covers fit a LOT better (side benefit), but they forgot to re-program the FL computer for the larger tires. So now my odometer, speedometer, etc are off by about 5% (in my favor). I will get this taken care of next time I'm near a FL dealer.

How about your thoughts???

Boowho??
Seems like a difference in handling. Less body roll on corners and less feel of impact on road bumps ect. They sure do fill out the wheel wells a bunch. Another side note it raised the ride height a bit so my rear mud flap sits a bit higher. Now it doesn't rub as much. So far I'm pleased with the change.