Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

Water Manifold System in Wet Bay

On the 2018 Berkshire XL, the wet bay has a water manifold system. Instead of a fresh water fill and city water supply water connections, there is one water connection called "FRESH WATER" "POTABLE WATER ONLY 100 PSI MAX"

Next to it, there is a dial, with 4 settings TANK FILL, NORMAL, OTHER FILL, and SANITIZE WINTERIZE SYSTEM.

Can anyone explain to me what each of these settings actually does ?

I am guessing the following:
TANK FILL directs pressurized water (i.e. city water under pressure) from the inlet directly to the fresh water tank.
NORMAL directs pressurized water (i.e. city water under pressure) from the inlet directly to the water distribution system (bypasses fresh water tank and pump).
SANITIZE WINTERIZE SYSTEM pumps water from a non-pressurized source directly to the water distribution system (bypasses fresh water tank).
OTHER FILL (just guessing), but it might fill the fresh water tank from a non-pressurized source by using the pump to provide suction from the source and discharging into tank. Only difference between tank fill and other fill is the pump runs on other fill, so it can take water from a non-pressurized source (i.e. bottled water).

Appreciate any help. I was planning on winterizing with compressed air which I suspect would require the selector switch to be in the NORMAL position, with the discharge of the compressor connector to the blow out plug threaded into the FRESH WATER connection. Then when I wanted to finish off with anti-freeze, I would switch the selector to SANITIZE WINTERIZE SYSTEM, and drop a hose into the container of anti-freeze I have.

If the system works as I indicated above, I think it is great. Probably will never use the OTHER FILL Setting, but it is nice to be able to switch between filling fresh water tank and using city water on the same connection. On my GT, I had to switch the hose every time I wanted to top up the fresh water tank for a trip.

Thanks Again.
raidernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
Dragonship Captain

I have owned a unit with similar 4 way selector (it has a name which I forgot) and I THINK your assessment is correct.

The only one I am not 100% sure of is "Other Fill" but your guess sounds pretty plausible.

Personally I'm a 100% "pink fluid" winterization guy. I don't trust the air to get it all and for no water to settle back down in nooks and crannies where it can do damage. Plus, with running pink through the system it gets into the holding tanks and protects the dump valves.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #3

I wasn't exactly correct

The Selector Switch is actually NORMAL, TANK FILL, CITY FILL, and SANITIZE/WINTERIZE.

CITY FILL I think is the setting to use when hooked up to pressurized water source (i.e. at a campground)
TANK FILL I think is the setting to fill the fresh water tank
NORMAL I think is the setting to use the on-demand 12 V pump to deliver water from the fresh water tank, after it was filled.
SANITIZE/WINTERIZE I think uses the pump to draw water from a non-pressurized source (i.e. a container of anti-freeze) into the system.

Earlier today when I was blowing the lines with compressed air, I got nothing out of any of the valves with the setting on NORMAL (I have the 12 V pump switch OFF). I got air pressure out of the valves when I was on TANK FILL or CITY FILL.

I am going to try SANITIZE/WINTERIZE later (probably tomorrow), and see if I can get anti-freeze into the system. I will only confirm the other settings in the spring,
Old 11-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
BobbyJ

Yes, you got it.

Don't be fooled by the 100 PSI. That is a mistake unless you don't have a hot water heater. The Truma is only rated for no more than 65 PSI.

Oops FR. You missed that one.

BobbyJ.
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidernation View Post
The Selector Switch is actually NORMAL, TANK FILL, CITY FILL, and SANITIZE/WINTERIZE.

CITY FILL I think is the setting to use when hooked up to pressurized water source (i.e. at a campground)
TANK FILL I think is the setting to fill the fresh water tank
NORMAL I think is the setting to use the on-demand 12 V pump to deliver water from the fresh water tank, after it was filled.
SANITIZE/WINTERIZE I think uses the pump to draw water from a non-pressurized source (i.e. a container of anti-freeze) into the system.

Earlier today when I was blowing the lines with compressed air, I got nothing out of any of the valves with the setting on NORMAL (I have the 12 V pump switch OFF). I got air pressure out of the valves when I was on TANK FILL or CITY FILL.

I am going to try SANITIZE/WINTERIZE later (probably tomorrow), and see if I can get anti-freeze into the system. I will only confirm the other settings in the spring,
That's interesting. My '17.5 38A has the same 4 selector switch settings. I've had a problem with the pump cycling on and off when in the Normal position most likely due to an air leak that I haven't been able to isolate. What I found just today is that if I shut off the incoming water supply leaving the City Fill switch selected, then turn on the pump, water is pumped on demand and no longer cycles on/off....like its supposed to do in the Normal mode. I haven't messed with the Winterize setting yet.
planopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #6
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by planopat View Post
That's interesting. My '17.5 38A has the same 4 selector switch settings. I've had a problem with the pump cycling on and off when in the Normal position most likely due to an air leak that I haven't been able to isolate. What I found just today is that if I shut off the incoming water supply leaving the City Fill switch selected, then turn on the pump, water is pumped on demand and no longer cycles on/off....like its supposed to do in the Normal mode. I haven't messed with the Winterize setting yet.
Not saying this is the case, but I have seen them hooked up incorrectly before (not on a Berk).

I have the 17.0 38A and don't have the 4 way. Do like them, when they work correctly.

Tags
water