Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #1

water pump noisy when on

lately the water pumps is very noisy ( intervals )when we turn it on , what can be the cause , we are connected to city fill and our water tank is 1/4 full .

what setting should we be at city fill ( bottom one ) or Normal ( top one ) ?

Thanks
mckyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Can you see the hoses around the pump? It is amazing how much they vibrate and when they touch a wall, item around it or just another hose it is amazing the noise they make.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Can you see the hoses around the pump? It is amazing how much they vibrate and when they touch a wall, item around it or just another hose it is amazing the noise they make.
Thanks will check , but it is more the pump that makes the noise , as if its nit getting enough water .
Old 02-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
Dragonship Captain

If you're on city water there is no need to have the pump on, unless you have stupid low pressure and you want to augment with the pump. It will come on when the pressure in the system drops below the activating pressure of the pump.

What I suspect you're having is that the city pressure is RIGHT at that pressure, on the ragged edge, and that the pump is sort of coming on/off/on/off.......

I would turn it off and leave it off.

Not sure about your terminology.... AFAIK there is CITY or FILL......(I could be wrong, I have a pic of the valve but can't read it well. I do NOT have the valve)

CITY being hooked up with a hose. FILL being "fill the tank" and NORMAL being running off the tank with the pump.

If you are connected to a faucet with a hose you need to be in CITY with the pump OFF.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Site Team

If you are connected to city water, you do not need nor want your water pump on.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
Scoundrel

If you're hooked up to city water you should have your water pump turned off...

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
If you're on city water there is no need to have the pump on, unless you have stupid low pressure and you want to augment with the pump. It will come on when the pressure in the system drops below the activating pressure of the pump.

What I suspect you're having is that the city pressure is RIGHT at that pressure, on the ragged edge, and that the pump is sort of coming on/off/on/off.......

I would turn it off and leave it off.

Not sure about your terminology.... AFAIK there is CITY or FILL......(I could be wrong, I have a pic of the valve but can't read it well. I do NOT have the valve)

CITY being hooked up with a hose. FILL being "fill the tank" and NORMAL being running off the tank with the pump.

If you are connected to a faucet with a hose you need to be in CITY with the pump OFF.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckyver View Post
what setting should we be at city fill ( bottom one ) or Normal ( top one ) ?

Thanks
As to the noise (which you shouldn't be hearing when the water pump is off on city water), those tank indicators are frequently incorrect and you may have less water in that fresh water tank than you think. Ours makes more noise when trying to pull up water from a near empty tank. So if you intend to camp without city water, you might want to fill up the fresh water tank a bit more.

You should be able to hear the fresh water tank filling when in the correct valve position. That's obviously not the one you need when connected to city water. I think Normal on our rig is what we use and it will run off city water or use the water pump when it's turned on.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
As to the noise (which you shouldn't be hearing when the water pump is off on city water), those tank indicators are frequently incorrect and you may have less water in that fresh water tank than you think. Ours makes more noise when trying to pull up water from a near empty tank. So if you intend to camp without city water, you might want to fill up the fresh water tank a bit more.

You should be able to hear the fresh water tank filling when in the correct valve position. That's obviously not the one you need when connected to city water. I think Normal on our rig is what we use and it will run off city water or use the water pump when it's turned on.
Thanks.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #10
Dragonship Captain

Ah, good point on the meter. I am used to being able to SEE my tank and go off that versus the meter..... I think yours is hidden behind the "useless white panel" and you may well be sucking air.....

There's a thread here that can show you what I'm talking about.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ss-178438.html
Old 02-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
As others have said, there is no need to have the water pump on when hooked to city water, but to offer another answer to a noisy pump, here's one. I had a noisy pump and found that the screws holding it down over rubber suppressors needed to be tightened, and once I did that the pump became very quiet.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:54 PM   #12

Help silence that Noisy water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
On my Corsair, I ended up mounting the water pump on a piece of 2x6. The feet on the pump have rubber isolators, and I installed added rubber between the trailer deck And the 2x6 Next, I replaced the water line from the pump to the distribution point with about a 24” ‘loop’ of pex . This helped isolate the pump from the distribution. Then I placed pipe insulation, the styrofoam type that is sliced open on one side, on all lines in the storage area that I could. I also ensured the cutouts where waterlines ran to the kitchen etc were of adequate size so the water
Lines were not in contact. This all helped, but it is still a little noisy.
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:27 PM   #13

If connected to RV park water, use city water with the arrow pointing down. If using your coach water turn off the park water, turn the indicator to normal (straight up), and turn the water pump on when you open a faucet. It is easier to turn the arrow knob in the wet bay with no water pressure on (park water or water pump both off).

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #14

Simply put, there are four positions on the water selector: 1. Normal - for use when on internal electric pump. 2. Tank Fill - used to fill onboard water tank (electric pump will run continuously if on while water selector is in the tank fill position, which does nothing but shorten the life of the pump), 3 City Fill - when hooked up to city water (I see little or no reason to turn on the pump when on city water unless city water is ridiculously low pressure, which is rather infrequent. Put a regulator/pressure gage inline to know city pressure.) 4. Sanitize Winterize System - With an external hose attached and pump on, this draws winterizing fluid into the water system. (It could also be used to sanitize water system, but may not be the best way since it won't sanitize the water tank this way.) Finally, I am curious about why you have a quarter tank of water onboard. Unless you're on a short 1-3 day stop, I recommend dumping the onboard tank when stopping more than 2-3 days to reduce bacteria growth and prevent staleness of the water. Just refill before you leave. Happy camping!
Old 02-24-2019, 09:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
As others have said, there is no need to have the water pump on when hooked to city water, but to offer another answer to a noisy pump, here's one. I had a noisy pump and found that the screws holding it down over rubber suppressors needed to be tightened, and once I did that the pump became very quiet.
Similar noise issue but in my case it was two-fold. When they installed it someone didn't check to make sure that a piece of pex pipe was not touching the door to the compartment when closed. When the pump was running it beat on the door like someone hammering on a drum.

It also didn't help that the installer paid no attention to the holes in the rubber mounting standoff's and just used his cordless screwdriver to run them through the rubber, also leaving them loose.

I modified the piping, re-positioned the pump, and installed the screws tight enough to keep the pump from rattling around but not so tight that the rubber standoff's couldn't absorb vibration. Pump is hard to hear when running now, even when I'm next to it in the bathroom. Way it should be and wonder why it couldn't be installed that way.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump