Old 05-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Engineer of Crazy Train

I don't have a Berkshire, but I do drink the water from the camper through the filter.

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #12

Filter-Carbon Filter-Osmosis System=Drinking Water more pure than (Bottled water from a store). Youroo!!

Old 05-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I'm not sure that is the whole reason. I think that walking around with a bottle of water in ones hand is the 'in' thing to do. Not so long ago, no one walked around with a bottle of water. You just drank from the tap (or if outside, from the garden hose). We drink water from the tap even when at a campground and have been doing so for 30 years with no problems.
no reason not to... water as a utility is fed and state regulated. unless otherwise state (like the reclaimed water for watering plants), it is potable by law.

i just use the filters for taste... tap water usually has too much chlorine and calcium from the purification plants so it tastes funny to me.

i drink water out of the stream when i go into deep into the backcountry as well. sometimes i purify (filter, uv, boil, or tablets), sometimes i don't... lol
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
I use my fresh water for everything except drinking, I bring bottled water for that. I do use it for the ice machine and for cooking. Guess I've always just been worried to drink it.....
Me too. Being sick on a vacation is no fun.

Bottled water always for drinking, coffee, tooth brushing, and pet bowl.

Cooking, wash up, etc is why we sanitize the fresh system.
Maybe we are over the top, but WTH.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
Anacortesians

We always ask if the CG's water system is from a well or from a city utility. If it's city water, we use it for everything, unless it has a peculiar taste. If it does or if it's from a well, DW insists on bottled water for her own drinking water. We used a Brita jug for water we're going to use for cooking. My "water" intake is usually from the 94% of it in beer, and whatever's in tea, coffee, OJ and milk. British people rarely drink plain water.

I sanitize the potable tank after it has sat empty during the off-season and we always leave home with the tanks pretty full, depending on the planned trip duration. Anacortes' city water is in the top 5 in the nation for quality and I'm not bothered about the effect of 650 pounds weight when the rig is rated at 22,000 and there's just the two of us and two dogs.

Last time I weighed the rig, we were almost 8,000 lb below the max. with a full gas tank and full potable tank.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
We always ask if the CG's water system is from a well or from a city utility. If it's city water, we use it for everything, unless it has a peculiar taste. If it does or if it's from a well, DW insists on bottled water for her own drinking water.
BEST water we EVER had was from a 500 foot well at 7000 feet elev in Colorado. It tested very pure, tasted like liquid heaven, and was icy cold right out of the tap.

Here in AZ, it's tested safe of course but smells and taste like TMP... First two letters = Texas Mule.

Boowho??
Old 05-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Hope no one misunderstood. I was referring to the pre-treatment of Chlorine in city water. Well water, while yummy and good for you, is not treated in any way allowing algae/mold growth in a short period of non-use in hot weather.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote