Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #1

Water System Leak

We have a water leak in the fresh water system of our Berk from the fresh water tank or city connection the bay was dripping with water. after troubleshooting I discovered the pump(shurflo smart sensor 5.7 model 5900-0201) was leaking at the seam. Did you know all water flows through the pump even when connected to city water? When I replace the pump I'm putting in a bypass valve incase I have this problem again I'm getting parts to bypass it now and will replace it when I get home in a few days. I'll try to take some pictures before and after later today.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #2

Good idea. The bypass valve.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #3

I'm thinking there must be check valve somewhere. I know there is some valving in the pump. I not sure how it flows to the pump but it does.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Good idea. The bypass valve.
X2, the bypass is a great idea!
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #5

I believe the water from the city hook up pressurized all of the lines including the line to the output of the pump. The input obviously comes from the tank unless bypassed when winterizing. So it makes sense that the pressure would run through the pump to the flow switch at the input side of the pump. Never really thought of it though! Good idea on the bypass after the output of the pump. Other option is just cap the line from the output of the pump when not using the pump.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #6

I'm curious, what PSI are the water pipes in the Berk rated for?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #7

I remember seeing somewhere that FR tested the pipes at 85 psi.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #8

I've always have run a regulator set to 45lbs. Apparently there is a check valve inside the pump and that is what failed no parts available and the pump has been discontinued so I bought a Remco aquajet 5.3 and installed it.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #9

That's a nice replacement pump accumack! 60-75 PSI @ .7GPM is pretty powerful. It does draw power though - 10AMPS @ load; is it on a seperate breaker?

Tom, thanks for the info. our Rockwood can handle 65PSI - I have a variable pressure regulator and DO like a residential-quality shower
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #10

Thought of changing mine to this Flojet V-Flo Constant Pressure Pump, 5 GPM - Xylem R4426143A - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

Do you guys think that this is overkill?

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #11

This the pump I got the only one any dealer had locally. While the mounting holes are the same spacing the mount is actually further forward on the pump so I had to drill new holes to mount it.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #12

Dave and several others at Forest River noticed I had a 45PSI flow restrictor in the wet bay while they were replacing the shocks on my bay doors.... He asked why I had that. I told him that I had read on almost every RV site that I should have one to protect our system. He then tells my that as soon as the tanks and lines are installed the system is put under 110PSI and sits that way all the way down the assembly line (several weeks) to test for leaks! He said, with a chuckle, we probably don't need the restrictor!
Old 12-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
We have a water leak in the fresh water system of our Berk from the fresh water tank or city connection the bay was dripping with water. after troubleshooting I discovered the pump(shurflo smart sensor 5.7 model 5900-0201) was leaking at the seam. Did you know all water flows through the pump even when connected to city water? When I replace the pump I'm putting in a bypass valve incase I have this problem again I'm getting parts to bypass it now and will replace it when I get home in a few days. I'll try to take some pictures before and after later today.
The water does not flow through the pump when connected to shore water. Shore water does add pressure to the pump output side because that is part of the fresh water plumbing. Your pump seal has failed and that is why you had a leak at the head. Now, water can flow through the pump and back into the fresh water holding tank if the baffles (backflow preventers) have failed or have not reseated correctly. This may be old hat by now.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water