Old 03-18-2016, 01:09 AM   #1

We purchased a 2016 XL 40BH

I have been online shopping for months, I had planned on buying one in late fall but several things came up and I was unable to make an offer until now. We have made a deal with Total Value RV in Elkhart Ind. They are taking our 2008 Forest River Georgetown in on trade and we feel they are giving us a good deal. After Easter I will drive from northern Wisconsin to Indiana to make the swap. I will have to travel by myself so please tell me what to watch for during the pre purchase inspection.

I would love to hear any other dealings with Total Value any one has had. This is a new unit with 77 miles on it. Wish me luck.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:05 AM   #2

Here we go !

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:19 AM   #3

Total Value Is the LAST dealership I would refer any body to. I personally know two other people who feel the same way about Total Value. Kenny V from the Toledo OH area, he's not on the forum, picked up a 2015 Berkshire 38RB-40 from them in the fall. To make a long story short, when he went to put groceries in the fridge there weren't any shelves. That was only the beginning
My story is even better. We picked up our 2015 XL 40QL in late January. They had about 8 days notice of the date we were to pick up the coach. After we signed all of the papers they could care less about getting us in the coach. 24 hours later we did our walk through. The coach was filthy, dirt and grit everywhere. Nail holes in the woodwork were unfilled with putty, the grout between the tiles were black and I can go on forever. The bottom line was they never did a PDI on the coach. When we're finally able to leave we found out the turn signals and emergency flashers didn't work. Another delay.
When we tried using the washer the first time the bedroom carpet was saturated with water. We discovered the drain line for the washer runs under the bed and was totally separated where the hard piping joined the flex pipe. No PDI.
The first time we used the rear a/c we kept getting a fault code on the thermostat. Investigation found a nest of straw in the rear unit and the freeze sensor was not plugged in, no PDI.
I would continue but my blood pressure is getting too high reliving our experience with Total Value.
Here is my advice, call down to MHSRV in Alvarado, TX. Tell them the deal Total Value gave you, I'm sure they can match it or better. You will be much happier and it is a nice time of year for a drive.

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-18-2016, 07:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Here we go !

That wasn't too bad, was it Joe?

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
Old 03-18-2016, 08:35 AM   #5

I have bought 3 class A's from Total Value but this is my first FR product. I always have done business with Hank or Ivan (Hanks son) and they have taken great care of us. If you feel at anytime that you are not being taken care of ask to talk to them or if they are not available ask for Jenny (Hanks daughter) she will help.
I can tell you they have made changes in the service area including a new service manager.

Wayne
Old 03-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
I have bought 3 class A's from Total Value but this is my first FR product. I always have done business with Hank or Ivan (Hanks son) and they have taken great care of us. If you feel at anytime that you are not being taken care of ask to talk to them or if they are not available ask for Jenny (Hanks daughter) she will help.
I can tell you they have made changes in the service area including a new service manager.

Wayne

And how far do you live from the dealership? I'm happy you have had good experiences with TVRV. CAT-RN has also had good experiences as well.
Even with all of the issues we've experienced, not one call from anybody in management.

2015 XL 40QL
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
And how far do you live from the dealership?
Even with all of the issues we've experienced, not one call from anybody in management.

2015 XL 40QL
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Paul I wasn't going to get in the middle of your dirty laundry (sorry couldn't resist) with them everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can't comment on why you didn't hear from management either but I didn't say I was always pleased either but when you spend that much money you expect things to be correct but I expect the unit to be manufactured correctly as well silly me?
FR is hands down the worst unit of the 3 with issues but most of those would not have been caught by anyone doing a PDI until you put it through its paces. I had 46 items after my first outing and almost all were issues the factory should have caught or not designed it that way. I have had my unit for one year now and it is at this moment at FR factory for 3 weeks now finishing up some issues. I could have taken it to TV to be fixed and would have gotten it in sooner at TV but since I strongly feel FR did things wrong they need to make it correct.
Do I think all the sales staff at TV are good no I don't there are a couple I respect there abilities but others are idiots IMO. I bet you had one of the idiots. When I first went to them they were small and it was Hank or Ivan. Sure I could have gone elsewhere but I hear horror stories from others who did. Also, keeping my mouth shut has not been my strong suit but again that's a lot of hard earned money at stake here speak your piece.
Sorry for the long reply.

Wayne
Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #8

Wayne, what you don't know is that TVRV sat on this rig for over a year taking it to RV Shows and having the masses walk through the coach. FR is responsible for a majority of the issues but I disagree that a thorough PDI would not uncover most issues. TVRV did not take good care of this rig, the rust on the framing is deplorable.
I hope you get your coach back soon and are happy with the work. My punch list is shorter now that a dealer here in Florida started addressing the issues. I'm currently waiting word when I can bring my coach to FR to complete the repairs.

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
Old 03-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #9

I wouldn't send my worst enemy to Total Value. But, at the very least, DO NOT sign paperwork until you have completed a thorough walk-through. As soon as they had their money, we became invisible to everyone there including management and owners.

2015 Berkshire XL 40 QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Old 03-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #10

I also bought my Berkshire at total value. The main thing you keep hearing is after you signed the papers they don't seem to want to have much to do with you. So make sure you check everything out before you finalize the paperwork. We drove a long distance to get it as the price was much lower than others. So we didn't expect any service after the sale. Check your own tire pressure before you leave as day did not check ours even though they said they did. We had low expectations therefore low disappointment. Went there for the low price and that was what we got.
Good luck. I know you'll enjoy the Berkshire. And Factory support after the sale is great.