Old 11-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Weight definitions

I saw this in the IRV2 forum and it was posted by Mr D. I thought some of the new guys might want to save it.

RATINGS are LIMITS established by the manufacturer, which are not to be exceeded. Ratings are based on structural strength, drive train strength, braking power, stability, controllability, and performance. Exceeding a rating invites unsafe conditions, potential damage, may void a warranty, may complicate an insurance claim, and in some cases, may violate a law.

GVWR:

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

The MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE WEIGHT of the fully loaded vehicle, including liquids, passengers, cargo, and the tongue weight of any towed vehicle.

GAWR:

Gross Axle Weight Rating

The MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE WEIGHT each axle assembly is designed to carry, as measured at the tires, therefore including the weight of the axle assembly itself. GAWR is established by considering the rating of each of its components (tires, wheels, springs, axle), and rating the axle on its weakest link. The GAWR assumes that the LOAD IS EQUAL ON EACH SIDE.

GCWR;

Gross Combined Weight Rating

The MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE COMBINED WEIGHT of the tow vehicle and the attached towed vehicle. GCWR assumes that both vehicles have functioning brakes, with exceptions in some cases for very light towed vehicles, normally less than 1,500 pounds. (Check your chassis manual or towing guide.)

HITCH RATINGS

GTWR:

Gross Trailer Weight Rating

The MAXIMUM TOWED VEHICLE WEIGHT. Each component (receiver, drawbar, ball) of a ball-type hitch has its own rating. Some ball-type hitches have separate ratings when used with a weight distributing system.

TWR/TLR/VLR:

Tongue Weight, Tongue Load, Vertical Load Rating Different terms for the MAXIMUM VERTICAL LOAD that can be carried by the hitch.

TIRE RATINGS

The MAXIMUM LOAD that a tire may carry is engraved on the sidewall, along with a corresponding minimum COLD inflation pressure. A reduction in inflation pressure requires a reduction in load rating. Tire manufacturers publish charts that establish the load capacity at various inflation pressures

WEIGHT and LOAD.

These terms are generally used interchangeably. For the purposes of understanding RV applications, vehicles have WEIGHT, which impart LOADS to tires, axles, and hitches. Scale measurements taken when weighing are LOADS carried by the tires. These measured loads are used to calculate Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), Gross Axle Weight (GAW), Gross Combination Weight (GCW), and hitch loads.

UVW: Unloaded Vehicle Weight (1996 RVIA Definition)

The WEIGHT of a vehicle as built at the factory with full fuel, engine(generator) oil and coolants. It does not include cargo, fresh water, LP gas, occupants, or dealer installed accessories.

NCC: Net Carrying Capacity

(1996 RVIA Definition, but no longer used) The MAXIMUM WEIGHT of all personal belongings, food, fresh water, LP gas, tools, dealer installed accessories, etc., that can be carried by the RV.

SCWR:

Sleeping Capacity Weight Rating (2000 RVIA Definition)

The manufacturers designated number of sleeping positions multiplied by 154 pounds (70 kilograms)

CCC:

Cargo Carrying Capacity (2000 RVIA Definition)

Equal to GVWR minus each of the following: UVW. full fresh potable water weight (including water heater), full LP gas weight and SCWR.

LIQUID WEIGHTS (pounds per gallon)

* Water: 8.3

* Gasoline: 5.6

* Diesel Fuel: 6.8

* Propane: 4.2

Old 11-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #2

I always thought that on GVWR it was the whole weight of the towed not just the tongue weight. Interesting.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I always thought that on GVWR it was the whole weight of the towed not just the tongue weight. Interesting.

I'm not sure I understand.
Gross vehicle weight rating is that the vehicle can weigh including everything except the toad or trailer.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:36 PM   #4

I'm not confused about it but i can see how easy it can be confusing. I do know Ram is the only manufacture that has SAE certified weight/tow rating which may force other manufacturers to certify there ratings.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
I'm not confused about it but i can see how easy it can be confusing. I do know Ram is the only manufacture that has SAE certified weight/tow rating which may force other manufacturers to certify there ratings.

Well you just confused things more. I know what GVWR is I just don't know what you are talking about. I assume CC miss typed what he was saying.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:56 PM   #6

SAE-J2807
Chevy,Ford,Toyota and others to follow suite if they haven't already they will soon.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:17 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
GCWR - "gross *combined* weight rating" is the vehicle + anything towed.

GVWR - "gross *vehicle* weight rating" as it pertains to to the vehicle doing the towing (aka the motorhome) is the motorhome itself plus tongue weight (ie, what is being pushed down on the chassis of the towing vehicle)
Old 11-15-2015, 11:19 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
I'm curious if motorhome manufacturers will utilize the SAE guidelines. I would assume that Freighliner (or whoever supplies the chassis) might. But overall, I've only noticed SAE tow guidelines being a pickup truck/trailer thing- not necessarily for motorhomes.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm curious if motorhome manufacturers will utilize the SAE guidelines. I would assume that Freighliner (or whoever supplies the chassis) might. But overall, I've only noticed SAE tow guidelines being a pickup truck/trailer thing- not necessarily for motorhomes.

Doubt they will. It's a shame and in my opinion dangerous but must Moho owners and really most RV owners could care less what their rig weighs. Most just want to get in and go camping. I get that and don't disagree. I don't believe that Manufacturer's will invest in anything that us owners don't seem to value.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I hope they do, I for one value this certification it make for a fair playing field and you know what the vehicle is actually safely capable of being certified.

Tags
weight