Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #1

Wet compartments

I was raining last Tuesday while we drove home from a Memorial Day weekend trip. I went out yesterday to do some clean up on my coach and noticed that all the compartments which were directly behind a wheel (2 compartments in the rear and 1 in the front- the other in the front is where the propane tank is located) were all damp. Anyone else have this problem and if so, did you solve it?
Thanks.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Noticed it once when after driving in very heavy rain with lots of water on road. Was thinking the water was coming up from under doors but not sure. There is no weather strip to seal the gaps and was thinking of putting some there but haven't done so.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #3

I'm not sure if it is coming up from the bottom or down from the top of the compartment. I had to replace a compartment light because the bulb socket had rusted out so I was thinking the water was coming in from the light area. Need to look at it further.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Family Man with an RV

Send a message via Skype™ to doctormdj
I ran into a similar issue on a cross country run on mine. It was a really bad down pour and we were driving across country in the midwest. I had just taken delivery of our coach and noticed that the compartments were damp. I did some investigating and noticed that the doors needed to adjusted. I simply spent some time with a buddy and worked to get the paint to align on the seals. After that, worked each of my basement doors to get aligned the way they should be using the screw gun and the paint design as a guide. After that.... no issues and tight as a drum. You may also want to look at your seals on the basement doors.
doctormdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #5

Well it happened again. Driving home from the Goshen rally I ran into some heavy rain. When I got a chance to check my compartments, the water bay (where the dump valves and water hook up are located) had about 1" of water in it. All the other compartments behind the rear wheels were damp as well. Has anyone else had the problem and if so, what was the fix. I can't believe how wet these compartments are getting. I am particularly concerned about the compartments where the batteries, inverter, electrical hook up and transfer switch, and hydraulics are located.
Any I checked the alignment of the doors and it seems fine. Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

Old 08-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #6

I had a thread on this last week. I had the same issue. I took me a while to track it down. Mine was huge gaps in the frame rail to the basement area. Go to your duals. Look inside wheel well toward front of coach. You will see the frame rails going into the basement. Mine only had foam on half the frame rail. Only the part I could see from outside. I went under coach and the inside of both frame rails were wide open. I could fit my entire hand into the wet bay. I also found in the front of the coach I had the same issue. I went under behind the fuel tank. You can see both frame rails. The inside was not foamed either. I foamed the huge gaps, let it dry then i took rubber spray and coated over the foam. So far it has been ok. We shall see. Check the frame rails I hope this works for you. Ken
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #7

Tmmar. Did you figure out where the water was coming in?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #8

Not yet. Just arrived at Disney after driving through the rain and had the same problem. I added a strip of foam window insulation around the back bay doors so it would contact the rubber strip around the compartment and it didn't help at all. Will need to try ti find another solution when I return home.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #9

I added foam around doors as well. If you close the doors and crawl from the opposite side you can see daylight in the corners. However the biggest culprit for me was the frame rails. If you get a second, look at them. Another way to tell was to open the door that the water tank and pump is at. I had standing water in there and water standing on top of the tanks. That was my fist clue it was coming in from the frame rails right above the tanks. I sure hope you find the leak.