Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Another Day, Another Mod.

This shower head is light years ahead of the Oxygenics I had installed in our 5th wheel.

Even though the shower head in our Berk was not bad, this shower head probably doubled the water pressure!

http://www.ecocamel-showerheads.com/products/product/140-jetstorm-plus
that's a great idea..did you just replace the head or did you have to replace everything??
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
that's a great idea..did you just replace the head or did you have to replace everything??
All I did was replace the head - super easy shower upgrade!

As for the Screen Door brace I will try to remember to take a photo when I get back to the Coach. If CRS strikes however, the door brace goes right across the screen door. Easy job, 1/8" drill bit needed, 4 holes in your door and 2 in the brace to hold then ends on. Took me all of 10 min to install.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #83

Brought a out door music speaker by King. Had to drill one hole I put it just above the kitchen window by sink, it's Bluetooth ready sound very good and it's has LED lights I hook it up to my kitchen light so need to turn it off by the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #84

And I took out the factory TV the one that you have to turn your neck to watch. It's outofhere took everything out made it shelves and below cabinet is storage with the doors. Now have to Rewire to new TV. took out the love seat and had cabinets made on top is the new TV a 43".

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:59 PM   #85

Would love to see pictures. I too have been thinking about removing the loveseat.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #86

On my 2011 bh, I cannot open my front door and keep it open and just enjoy the door screen. What am I doing wrong as it seems to not fully open and if any wind blows it shuts. Seems something not right to enjoy screen wth door wide open
Texas Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Realtor View Post
On my 2011 bh, I cannot open my front door and keep it open and just enjoy the door screen. What am I doing wrong as it seems to not fully open and if any wind blows it shuts. Seems something not right to enjoy screen wth door wide open
Check the door Arm at the top of your front door. There is a tension nut up there that can be tightened. See if this will help keep the door open.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:46 AM   #88

Quote:
All I did was replace the head - super easy shower upgrade!

As for the Screen Door brace I will try to remember to take a photo when I get back to the Coach. If CRS strikes however, the door brace goes right across the screen door. Easy job, 1/8" drill bit needed, 4 holes in your door and 2 in the brace to hold then ends on. Took me all of 10 min to install.
Did same, thanks for the advice they are both good up grades.
Loading up for next trip today, still having problem with Schwintek kitchen slide getting out of time and having to re time. I have looked at every video they have. Works okay for awhile and then gets out of time somehow. Just ran in and out 3x and all is okay (today).
Any suggestions?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #89

Quote:
Check the door Arm at the top of your front door. There is a tension nut up there that can be tightened. See if this will help keep the door open.

Thanks Bama!
Old 09-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Did same, thanks for the advice they are both good up grades.
Loading up for next trip today, still having problem with Schwintek kitchen slide getting out of time and having to re time. I have looked at every video they have. Works okay for awhile and then gets out of time somehow. Just ran in and out 3x and all is okay (today).
Any suggestions?
We had the same issues and when we spoke to the techs at Goshen, they said that the biggest issue was owners would put their slide in (or start going out) and then stop and reverse the process. Apparently this is what puts the slide out of time (if someone disagrees, don't shoot me I am only the messenger )

We were told by the techs that once you start a Schwintek (in or out) go the full cycle and do not stop. If your Schwintek is out of time, cycling the slide out in and out 2 times should retime things. (This is how the tech "fixed" our slide).

Ever since heeding the tech's advice I have not had a timing problem on either of our Schwintek slides. (and they have cycled easily 20 or more times).
Old 09-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #91

Time for dumb question what are you talking about with timing? I have never heard anything about timing a slide but maybe I don't have that brand.

Wayne
Old 09-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #92

Quote:
We had the same issues and when we spoke to the techs at Goshen, they said that the biggest issue was owners would put their slide in (or start going out) and then stop and reverse the process. Apparently this is what puts the slide out of time (if someone disagrees, don't shoot me I am only the messenger )

We were told by the techs that once you start a Schwintek (in or out) go the full cycle and do not stop. If your Schwintek is out of time, cycling the slide out in and out 2 times should retime things. (This is how the tech "fixed" our slide).

Ever since heeding the tech's advice I have not had a timing problem on either of our Schwintek slides. (and they have cycled easily 20 or more times).
yes that is what the video shows heree camping and slide went out without any problems thanks again for your input
Old 09-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #93

Quote:

I don't know about this timing issue and have never had any problem with mine. That said I do not dispute the info but telling someone to not stop when putting out the slide needs a major disclaimer. When putting the slide out if anything sounds weird acts weird or any hiccup stop and look at everything. There is a reason for things to act weird. No not be afraid to run it back in or out. Stop and look behind everything. A bowl or waste can could have gotten back there. Hell a cat might have gotten in the slide. Don't just run it in or out without stopping.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:46 PM   #94

Quote:

So where is this tension nut. I have a 2011 and have never seen a tension not on any model. There is a round spring like a rolled spring that catches in the notch. I have from time to time spread that spring out to create more tension but have not seen a nut. Please post a picture of it if you would. There also is a mod that was posted sometime back that talked about drilling and tapping a bolt that you could add in to help hold the door open. I think Silver or Boo posted it not sure.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #95

Thanks Phil as I couldn't find tension nut on mine either. Will look for the other post you mentioned
Old 09-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #96

I was at the Newmar factory last week and in the service area they have a small parts store. They had a new arm for sale and it was the exact one used in the Berk. I should have bought it and played around with a fix for the tension. Mine stays open pretty good but a gust of wind blows it shut.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I was at the Newmar factory last week and in the service area they have a small parts store. They had a new arm for sale and it was the exact one used in the Berk. I should have bought it and played around with a fix for the tension. Mine stays open pretty good but a gust of wind blows it shut.

Same here. Seems like door should open further around towards mirror then something hold it open. When I wrap something around that top elbow joint that opens door and then keeps it straight I can keep door open. Just pain in --- to always do
Old 09-24-2016, 07:37 AM   #98

I had mine fixed at Goshen. There is a bushing that helps lock the door in an open position. The area where the bushing seats had expanded and the bushing would not seat tightly leaving the door to close easily during a good wind or parked on an incline. (BTW, this recollection was from a cursory look at the hinge, not a detailed one) After replacement, the door again stays in a locked position when fully opened.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
I had mine fixed at Goshen. There is a bushing that helps lock the door in an open position. The area where the bushing seats had expanded and the bushing would not seat tightly leaving the door to close easily during a good wind or parked on an incline. (BTW, this recollection was from a cursory look at the hinge, not a detailed one) After replacement, the door again stays in a locked position when fully opened.

Rich

Rich what you call a bushing I'm calling a spring. You are most likely more correct in your description. There is a slot that will expand in that " bushing " if you use a flathead screwdriver. Very carefully twist it to expand. It is best to use a very undersized flathead. It also may break so do it st a risk. Did the techs replace the bushing or the entire mechanism? I didn't see a way to replace just the bushing. What some have suggested doing is to remove the mechanism and hit the area of the bushing with a hammer causing the bushing to expand. I have not tried that yet.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Rich what you call a bushing I'm calling a spring. You are most likely more correct in your description. There is a slot that will expand in that " bushing " if you use a flathead screwdriver. Very carefully twist it to expand. It is best to use a very undersized flathead. It also may break so do it st a risk. Did the techs replace the bushing or the entire mechanism? I didn't see a way to replace just the bushing. What some have suggested doing is to remove the mechanism and hit the area of the bushing with a hammer causing the bushing to expand. I have not tried that yet.
Phil & Rich
I learned a hard lesson trying to expand the bushing; it broke in a couple pieces. The bushing is tempered and any tempered material has limited stretching or compression ability. I also learned that the bushing is riveted to the vertical post and is weaker at that point. You cannot see the rivet without taking the bracket down.

I broke mine a couple years ago and got a new bracket. It was good from the start, but it doesn't last. The U-shaped opening in the bracket that the bushing slips into, should be slightly narrower at the opening. This necked-down opening is what keeps the door open. I found that the "U" wears and looses the narrower opening. I was able to close the opening very slightly with a portable vise. It helped immensely. I guess if the bracket is taken off, the "U" can be narrowed with a hammer (but I would still use a vise).

The door retainer is a poor design and a bad choice by FR.
Hank

Tags
berkshire