Old 10-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #21

Boo pilots tell you that so they don't have to look at you! If the AF is like the Marines they lie to reinforce the lies they told you before.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #22

I believe rear facing seats are perfectly legit. My last two limos had seats that faced front, back and side. Certified and DOT approved for interstate and commercial use. The same goes for aircraft. All positions must have seat belts.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
The school buses around here now have seat belts..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Here also, but in 1968 when the new law came they didn't. I'm not sure when they started using them here, but it was well after I stopped riding a school bus.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevillefish View Post
Now THAT'S couch surfing.

Boowho??
Old 10-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
...When I was in the Air Force I spent a good bit of time on AF Cargo aircraft. When configured for carrying passengers the seats were always rear facing. Boowho??
I believe a C130 has web seats along both sides of the cargo area according to my son who was a C130 loadmaster for 20 yrs.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:33 PM   #26
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I believe a C130 has web seats along both sides of the cargo area according to my son who was a C130 loadmaster for 20 yrs.
The early 707's had a lounge in first class with side facing couches with seat belts. FAA concern was passengers in couches hitting their heads on partitions in sudden stops and/or accidents.

In addition to C130's,the C141,C5 and C17 airplanes have side facing seats.

I never been in one,but does anyone know if the seats in the upper tail of the C5 are forward facing?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:48 PM   #27

I only know that sitting in a C130 in the side web seats makes for a very unpleasant ride when flying to Cuba with a jeep and lots of your best Marine friends.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
The early 707's had a lounge in first class with side facing couches with seat belts. FAA concern was passengers in couches hitting their heads on partitions in sudden stops and/or accidents.

In addition to C130's,the C141,C5 and C17 airplanes have side facing seats.

I never been in one,but does anyone know if the seats in the upper tail of the C5 are forward facing?
I was in Headquarters of Military Airlift Command, the "owners" of the C-141 and C5. Maybe they have different configs when in a war zone, but at HQs I never saw anything but backwards seats on 141s

As an aside, I wrote about half of the crew scheduling software system for for the C5A. Worked for over a year on that system. Lots of trips between Scott AFB in IL (MAC HQS) to Norton AFB in southern CA for field testing. Damn near lived on a 141 for that year.

AND the DW typed the ENTIRE crew manual for the C5A. Without a word processor, she banged out the entire manual on an electric typewriter. And when they made a single word or sentence correction, guess what she had to do?? Yeah, type the entire damn page or even PAGES over again..... and again.... and AGAIN.

1969.... woohoo.... Those were the days!!

BTW, did you happen to be a B47 "driver". If so, you're an OLD coot.

Boowho??
Old 10-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I only know that sitting in a C130 in the side web seats makes for a very unpleasant ride when flying to Cuba with a jeep and lots of your best Marine friends.
Yeah, but you jar heads are considered to be sub-human knuckle draggers by the fly boys!!!

Just kidding Phil..... I have the utmost respect for anyone that has served in the one of the services; especially the Corps.

Boowho??
Old 10-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #30
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
I was in Headquarters of Military Airlift Command, the "owners" of the C-141 and C5. Maybe they have different configs when in a war zone, but at HQs I never saw anything but backwards seats on 141s

As an aside, I wrote about half of the crew scheduling software system for for the C5A. Worked for over a year on that system. Lots of trips between Scott AFB in IL (MAC HQS) to Norton AFB in southern CA for field testing. Damn near lived on a 141 for that year.

AND the DW typed the ENTIRE crew manual for the C5A. Without a word processor, she banged out the entire manual on an electric typewriter. And when they made a single word or sentence correction, guess what she had to do?? Yeah, type the entire damn page or even PAGES over again..... and again.... and AGAIN.

1969.... woohoo.... Those were the days!!

BTW, did you happen to be a B47 "driver". If so, you're an OLD coot.

Boowho??
Nope - not a driver. Just an assistance crew chief. Regardless, you're right on the OLD coot label,just not the one on this forum.