Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #1

What is the I-95 HOV Dynamic Toll?

The I-95 HOV south of Washington has been extended southward about nine miles, but it will now be a toll road with many quirks; see..............

95 Express Lanes

95 Express Lanes

My questions are:

1. The HOV was a uni-directional road; is it now bi-directional?

2. What is dynamic tolling?
The 95 Express Lanes will keep traffic moving by using dynamic tolling that will adjust tolls based on real-time traffic conditions, video technology to identify accidents, a series of electronic signs to communicate with drivers and state troopers to ensure enforcement.

3. Is the Berkshire bus?
Carpools with three or more people, vanpools and buses can use the lanes for free.

Hank
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #2

Forgot one..................

4. What is EZ-Pass Flex? I have plain EZ-Pass.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

Do not think the Berkshire is considered a bus, a bus usually seats 15 or more people.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #4

The express lanes will still be uni directional and there is a schedule fo the lanes Using the Lanes | 95 Express Lanes and the only way not to pay a toll is to qualify I Ride in a Carpool | 95 Express Lanes Which means moving to the EZPass Flex. The EZPass Flex has a switch that allows you to identify the vehicle transponder as one that matches HOV restrictions and can ride the lanes toll free. However, they use detection software to attemp to determine if you are in HOV violation plus regular patrols. If you have a plan EZPass you will be charged a toll no matter what. What sucks is you used to be able to use these lanes for free in whichever direction it was open for outside of HOV hours, now 24x7 you pay a toll no matter what. It will just lead to more traffic on the free lanes, plus there is this restriction which some RVs qualify for "Vehicles with more than two axles cannot use the lanes." Personally I would just avoid them and plan accordingly for the increase in traffic on the normal lanes.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Always Learning

Check the FAQ page for more information:
FAQs | 95 Express Lanes

Here's a map of the access points for the HOV lanes:
95 Express Lanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
The I-95 HOV south of Washington has been extended southward about nine miles, but it will now be a toll road with many quirks; see..............

95 Express Lanes

95 Express Lanes

My questions are:

1. The HOV was a uni-directional road; is it now bi-directional?
It appears that it will still be unidirectional based on this FAQ entry:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ Answer
What is the lane reversal schedule for the 95 Express Lanes?

The reversal of the 95 Express Lanes in the morning and evening will be largely the same process and timing as the current I-95 HOV system.

2. What is dynamic tolling?
The 95 Express Lanes will keep traffic moving by using dynamic tolling that will adjust tolls based on real-time traffic conditions, video technology to identify accidents, a series of electronic signs to communicate with drivers and state troopers to ensure enforcement.

Longest story shortest, it means different rates for different times of day. Rush hour costs more; everything else costs less.

3. Is the Berkshire bus?
Carpools with three or more people, vanpools and buses can use the lanes for free.

I don't think you're a bus per this page:
I Operate a Bus | 95 Express Lanes

There is a whole registration process for buses.

I did contact them to get clarification on towing and they responded in about a day.

4. What is EZ-Pass Flex? I have plain EZ-Pass.

Longest story shortest, it's for HOV commuters. Your regular EZ-Pass will work.

See if this FAQ entry helps:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ Entry
Do I have to get an E-ZPass Flex?

No. If you don’t think you’ll travel the 95 Express Lanes with three or more people in your vehicle then you need a standard E-ZPass.

However, if you want to get a toll-free trip on the Express Lanes you need three or more people in your vehicle and an E-ZPass Flex set to HOV mode.

Please note: E-ZPass Flex is for regular carpoolers. Beginning July 1, 2015, if you have a Virginia E-ZPass Flex you will need to use it in HOV mode at least once every six months. If you don’t, you will need to exchange your E-ZPass Flex for a standard E-ZPass at no cost or pay a one-time upgrade fee of $10. The new E-ZPass Flex rules only affect drivers who obtained an E-ZPass Flex after October 1, 2014.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #6

Appreciate all your replies. Since I posted, I learned that that for the EZ-Pass Flex, you need a special transponder that has a switch on it. When you put the switch in the HOV position, you are detected and recorded by the EZ-Pass detectors and will not be charged. You are on your honor to have three or more riders. Thus far, I only know that the special transponder is available in VA & MD.

I always have more then two axles, so I may as well forget about the I-95 HOV. However, it will not let me forget, because the southbound merge of the HOV with regular I-95 will be probably even worse, because there will be three lanes now from the HOV instead of two.

Hank
Old 12-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Appreciate all your replies. Since I posted, I learned that that for the EZ-Pass Flex, you need a special transponder that has a switch on it. When you put the switch in the HOV position, you are detected and recorded by the EZ-Pass detectors and will not be charged. You are on your honor to have three or more riders. Thus far, I only know that the special transponder is available in VA & MD.

I always have more then two axles, so I may as well forget about the I-95 HOV. However, it will not let me forget, because the southbound merge of the HOV with regular I-95 will be probably even worse, because there will be three lanes now from the HOV instead of two.

Hank
That's if it is used. I know the toll lanes added in on 495 out towards I66 aren't heavily used.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

I guess the bottom line is if you live in the Northeast avoid that mess all together. Take the I 78 I 81 I 77 I 26 route back to I 95 in South Carolina if you are going to Florida. I have been this route the past two years and it is great. Maybe a few more miles but you make that up by not having to sit in that I 95 mess around Washington DC and Richmond Virginia. Such a waste of time in that area.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #9

Since the lanes are going Toll and HOV3 plus being extended past the current coggestion point they kicked the can down the road. But they kicked it down far enough where traffic starts to think out for now. However, with it being a toll road and very complex to use it as an HOV lane, I expect the free lanes to get a bit more crowded even during the off hours.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote