Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #1

What to look for at Pre-Purchase inspection

We have just ordered a 2010 Berkshire 390BH. And I want to say after the helpful posts on this site I have a list of things to look at during our delivery inspection sometime in February.

I chose the Berkshire BH because my family loves our 2008 Georgetown (for sale) so why not stick with the same floorplan. The only reason for the upgrade is the fully loaded list of options that are free this month and the great price.

Back to the topic;
Some of you posted about water leaks. Seemed like they were all somewhat similar. If I understood correctly, the leaks seemed to come from the pitch of the slide-out roof being toward the coach. I can check for the pitch problem at delivery but what else would you recommend? Maybe the slide-boot? Is the roof of the coach itself without issue?

I would love to hear your ideas on some specific things I can check when my new rig arrives.

I stated earlier that my 2008 DSSE was for sale, if anyone is interested before my new rig arrives, shoot me an email rod294@comcast.net.

Thank you so much for this site, I have learned so much here.

Rodney

Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350DSSE View Post
We have just ordered a 2010 Berkshire 390BH. And I want to say after the helpful posts on this site I have a list of things to look at during our delivery inspection sometime in February.

I chose the Berkshire BH because my family loves our 2008 Georgetown (for sale) so why not stick with the same floorplan. The only reason for the upgrade is the fully loaded list of options that are free this month and the great price.

Back to the topic;
Some of you posted about water leaks. Seemed like they were all somewhat similar. If I understood correctly, the leaks seemed to come from the pitch of the slide-out roof being toward the coach. I can check for the pitch problem at delivery but what else would you recommend? Maybe the slide-boot? Is the roof of the coach itself without issue?

I would love to hear your ideas on some specific things I can check when my new rig arrives.

I stated earlier that my 2008 DSSE was for sale, if anyone is interested before my new rig arrives, shoot me an email rod294@comcast.net.

Thank you so much for this site, I have learned so much here.

Rodney
First off to the Forum. There a few members here that have a great check list to follow and I am sure they will chime in soon, good luck and congrats on your new camper.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #3

Thank you and glad to be here!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

In short operate EVERYTHING and make sure the dealer fully explains how things work. Confirm the operations of all the systems: Levelers, slide rooms, generator, all appliances for operation, lights, make sure doors fit right, close right, open the awning, check the fit and operation of every compartment door. Run all the faucets. Be sure there is water in the water heater and fire it up on gas. Let it run then re check the faucets. Make sure Hot is on the left and cold on the right. Run water down the sinks and open the cabinets to check for leaks under them. Flush the toilet and check behind it for leaks. Check the options list and make sure everything you ordered is present. Operate the air conditioning on both the truck air and the overhead conditioners. Be sure all the necessary remote controls are present.

Be methodical and start at the front and slowly work your way back both inside and outside.

One thing you really need to be aware of with a new Class A RV. We found out the hard way that many of them have incorrectly set front end alignment which will prematurely wear the front tires (ours only lasted a year). One gentleman we talked to who has bought 5 new rigs in the last 3 years told us that his first stop after the dealer is a shop that can check the alignment. Forest River will only warranty FEA for the first 90 days. This is hardly enough time to see damage occurring to your tires. As soon as you can, call FR and tell them it doesn't handle correctly and insist they pay for a FEA. Trust me we just paid out close to $900 for two new tires and expect $300 for the alignment.

Congratulations on your new rig. Hope it brings you as much enjoyment as our does.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #5

Congrats!

I would recommend that you read up on the Freightliner site so your ready/able to soak up as much info regarding the chassis as you can.

http://www.freightlinerchassis.com/mhHome.asp

Did you see this? Maybe you qualify?

"Freightliner Custom Chassis is excited to announce the Fueled By Us sales event. Buy any qualifying new motorhome riding on a Freightliner chassis between October 15, 2009, and December 31, 2009, in the United States and Canada, and we’ll give you a $1,250usd Visa® fuel card. So take your next great adventure on us."
Old 01-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #6

I asked my dealer about the fuel card and he knew nothing about it. We will have to push the issue.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350DSSE View Post
I asked my dealer about the fuel card and he knew nothing about it. We will have to push the issue.

For $1250 in free fuel? I would push with a BobCat..

Tags
berkshire, surveyor