Old 01-24-2015, 09:30 PM   #11

Ok, cool. Thanks for all the responses! Off to my local Napa...

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 01-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #12

I ended up buying some coolant very similar to the picture above, at my local Walmart.

It took 3 gallons to get the level in the surge tank up above the minimum line...I was on the phone with Freightliner and they told me the tank has a 3.5 gallon capacity.

I checked, and what I added did clear the Low Coolant code...so that's good. I'm a little worried about where that might have gone, but frankly I'm betting it was low for some time, and finally got to the point of tripping the sensor.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:18 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
sometime after a hard drive if you shut the engine down right away without letting it idle a few minutes to cool down the engine and stabilize the temperature it will put a little of the coolant out the overflow. You mix the antifreeze with 50 percent water. Half water half antifreeze and add to the surge tank. do not overfill.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 PM   #14

Again, check the radiator pressure cap. I had a similar coolant loss problem without under vehicle drippings, turned out the heater shutoff valve was seeping.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:14 AM   #15

If it was originally barely below the minimum line, I'm really surprised it took 3 gallons!
Old 02-01-2015, 10:49 PM   #16

Uh, yeah. So the good news is, I figured out where my coolant went. The bad news is, it apparently leaked through a leak in the core. The bottom left corner was leaking...though in a strange way (sometimes it would drop quite a bit, and sometimes not very much). Since I'm on the road, and on a time crunch, I talked to Freightliner about adding some Leak Stop. I did add 2.5 bottles of Bar's Leaks, and it appears that I may have solved the leak...at least enough to get home!

As for why it took so much fluid from being barely below the minimum line: apparently the way the tank is designed, fluid will actually show up on the shelf just below the minimum line, even when the main part of the surge tank has quite a bit less in it. Once I started to see how it worked, I was able to tell if it was low on coolant. Kinda fools you at first!

Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't leak any more...and if so, I've got a few extra gallons of coolant on hand to pour in.

Thanks for all the help!