Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #1

What type of inverter/charger

It looka like the xhargee is gone on my 2012 390bh.

What type doea it currently have ans is it worth while upgrading
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
It looka like the xhargee is gone on my 2012 390bh.

What type doea it currently have ans is it worth while upgrading
not xuree, doea you have pisturss of it?

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

Does it have a manufacturer name and model number on it? If so then you can google it and find a replacement. Even if it's another brand.

Here is a good place to look. http://www.bestconverter.com/

Many on the forums say to buy from https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #4

I’m guessing it’s a Magnum 1200 watt inverter. They are pretty much plug and play. You should be able to replace it with the same thing. Now is the time to consider the future. Are you happy with the Dometic 1350 you havefor the refrigerator? If you are ever going to install a residential fridge now is the time to go with a larger inverter. If you like me are happy with the current Dometic fridge then simply order the same thing and install it yourself.
zuckerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

I was going by "What type of inverter/charger". Inverters and chargers are two different things.

A inverter takes 12volt DC power from the battery(ies) and changes it to 120volt AC power to supply 1 or 2 outlets.

A converter takes 120 volt AC power and changes it to 12 volt DC power to charge the battery(ies).
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I was going by "What type of inverter/charger". Inverters and chargers are two different things.

A inverter takes 12volt DC power from the battery(ies) and changes it to 120volt AC power to supply 1 or 2 outlets.

A converter takes 120 volt AC power and changes it to 12 volt DC power to charge the battery(ies).

Actually Magnum and a couple of other brands (Victron maybe) make devices that are both inverters (120v to 12v) AND battery chargers.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #7

I was assuming that the magnum in the 2012 Berk is both an inverter and charger. Am I correct?

I was thinking of installing a 2000w pure sin wave inverter with a 100amp charger.

Thoughts?
Old 10-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #8

You are correct it is both. If I was replacing my inverter on my 2011 RB I would use the same one. I also would look at rewiring to bring some more outlets into the inverted side. Yours like mine is only inverting the outlets in the bedroom wardrobe and the Televisions.
zuckerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:21 PM   #9

What is involved in changing outlets to the inverter side. Does it require new wiring.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:58 AM   #10

Quote:
I was assuming that the magnum in the 2012 Berk is both an inverter and charger. Am I correct?

I was thinking of installing a 2000w pure sin wave inverter with a 100amp charger.

Thoughts?
I don't know the model you have. Did you get manuals with the Berk. Or can you see the model number?

I have the MS-2012 Magnum PSW Inverter / charger (and remote) and I love it. It has a integrated 100A charger. Its a very heavy duty, dependable and programmable unit. IMO no other inverter comes close.

They make a product MSH4024M 4000W Hybrid that can mix sources in a pretty interesting way. I also see a benefit for having a second smaller inverter for time when it doesn't make sense to run the big inverter; such as when charging small electronics or a television.

https://www.invertersupply.com/index...QaAtj4EALw_wcB

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 10-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #11

Quote:

Thoughts?
I have thought of doing exactly what you are thinking for the same reason, putting my kitchen outlets on the magnum. I would thing it would be as easy as disconnecting the outlets from the breaker box then wiring that line to the magnum as the magnum has its own circuit breakers for AC power. I would need to do more research prior to doing it. Just my thoughts.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I have thought of doing exactly what you are thinking for the same reason, putting my kitchen outlets on the magnum. I would thing it would be as easy as disconnecting the outlets from the breaker box then wiring that line to the magnum as the magnum has its own circuit breakers for AC power. I would need to do more research prior to doing it. Just my thoughts.
The way I did was to power the Magnum (120vac) from a 30 amp breaker in the dist. panel via a 10/2 cable. Then brought the inverter output (120vac - 10/2 cable) back to a sub-panel... a small one that allows 4 single breakers. From that sub-panel I extended to feed microwave; to the GFCI outlet that feeds all the other protected outlets (9 each) and a couple of new outlets. The Magnum has a built in transfer switch, which is handy and simple.

There are other connectivity schemes but this worked well for me. While I was doing all that, I also upgraded to 50Amp, upgraded the dist. panel to a 90 amp PDI converter / charger, which is a backup and usually turned off. I balanced the loads on L1 and L2 best I could.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 10-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #13
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
What is involved in changing outlets to the inverter side. Does it require new wiring.
Not sure what your question is......

Tags
inverter