Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2018, 03:03 PM   #1

Whats the required tire pressure for my RV

The tires are 275 / 80 R 22.5.

Thank youClick image for larger version

Name:	20181019_131401.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	189574
mckyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckyver View Post

Thank youAttachment 189574
Find the weight of your coach first...by corner if possible. Then look at the table for your tire pressure from the tire company, found on line if necessary. This is not a quessing time, weigh first.
Welshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #3

...or locate the FMVSS tire placard that is located somewhere on/in your coach which lists the recommended tire pressures for the OEM tires. That's a reasonable place to start, if you want to get exact then by all means have it weighed and look at the inflation charts for the tires, but realize those inflation charts are showing the minimum pressure for a given tire load. Those are not recommended pressures as recommended pressures come from the vehicle manufacturer, not the tire manufacturer.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
but realize those inflation charts are showing the minimum pressure for a given tire load.
ABOVE is the correct answer. Those inflation charts are handy, but those are the MAXIMUM loads for a given pressure. They are NOT the perfect pressure for that load.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
ABOVE is the correct answer. Those inflation charts are handy, but those are the MAXIMUM loads for a given pressure. They are NOT the perfect pressure for that load.
On our coach, the placard shows 120psi...after weighing and following manufacturer's table. I use 98lb up front, 105lb, rear and we comply having a nice ride as well.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshes View Post
On our coach, the placard shows 120psi...after weighing and following manufacturer's table. I use 98lb up front, 105lb, rear and we comply having a nice ride as well.
Which is fine... That's what the table is for. But just keep in mind that you are now and the absolute maximum weight for that given pressure. If you decide to load a few bikes on, load a ton of food on board, your tires are now under-inflated.

People usually think "The chart says I need 100 psi for X,XXX lbs." When in reality, the chart is stating "100psi is the MINIMUM amount of psi needed for X,XXX lbs.

Just be mindful. That's all I'm asking.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
Which is fine... That's what the table is for. But just keep in mind that you are now and the absolute maximum weight for that given pressure. If you decide to load a few bikes on, load a ton of food on board, your tires are now under-inflated.

People usually think "The chart says I need 100 psi for X,XXX lbs." When in reality, the chart is stating "100psi is the MINIMUM amount of psi needed for X,XXX lbs.

Just be mindful. That's all I'm asking.
True, my axle weight called for 92#, so I allowed for extra stuff...same on rear tires. I carry about 5#over minimum, but well under 120#.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
True, my axle weight called for 92#, so I allowed for extra stuff...same on rear tires. I carry about 5#over minimum, but well under 120#.
I used to work for a major school bussing contractor as an ASE diesel tech. We filled the bus tires to 120 pounds no matter what. DOT regs and company policy mandated those kinds of things so when I hear about people talking about the dreaded "chart" my hands get clammy. I've seen several blowouts because of under-inflation, or over-loading.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #9

Quote:
...or locate the FMVSS tire placard that is located somewhere on/in your coach which lists the recommended tire pressures for the OEM tires. That's a reasonable place to start, if you want to get exact then by all means have it weighed and look at the inflation charts for the tires, but realize those inflation charts are showing the minimum pressure for a given tire load. Those are not recommended pressures as recommended pressures come from the vehicle manufacturer, not the tire manufacturer.
Thanks.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #10

Quote:

Thank youAttachment 189574

Go to michelinrvtires.com

Good reference material on motor home tires.
Tire pressures need to be set based on the loaded weight of the motor home.
You may even have a copy of the Michelin RV tire guide in all the manuals that came with the RV we did.
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #11

Quote:
had it weighed and the chart gives me 95 frt and 85 rear , why would i have less air rear than frt ?
Old 10-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #12

Quote:
had it weighed and the chart gives me 95 frt and 85 rear , why would i have less air rear than frt ?

Again, the chart shows minimum pressures for a given load. Those aren’t the recommended pressures.

Also, don’t forget you have 4 tires in the rear to carry the load on the rear axle vs 2 in the front.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Again, the chart shows minimum pressures for a given load. Those aren’t the recommended pressures.

Also, don’t forget you have 4 tires in the rear to carry the load on the rear axle vs 2 in the front.
thanks.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #14
BobbyJ

You must go by the Michelin Tire Chart after weighing your vehicle. Then " according to Camp Freightliner" Use the 5-10-10 rule. This due to extra weight allowance as mentioned in some other posts. The 5-10-10 rule is simple. After you have determined the correct tire pressure add 5 lbs to each front and 10 to each rear, and 10 to the tag, if you have one. My 2018 40C worked out to 95 rear and 100 front, or 105 rear and 105 front after the 5-10-10. Call Freightliner in Gaffney and talk to Mike or one of the Camp Freightliner instructors. Yes, do not, do not go by the number on the coach. Also, all tire pressures are cold. The definition of a Cold Reading is 0 degrees F here in the frigid north and 100 degrees F in Death Valley. It is just your ambient atmospheric temperature prior to driving no matter where you are or where you live. Just remember to recheck the PSI prior to your next trip, if you are traveling to a large temperature change. (Clear as mud, right?)

Regards,

BobbyJ

State College Pa
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire