Old 08-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #21

If you leave the black tank open be prepared to deal with Mount Poopius!

AvidFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #22

Never leave mine open.....

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #23
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2.
X 10 or 20... Where ever we are

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #24

I always left the grey valve open until the day before we leave so I have a showers worth of water to run through the sewer hose after dumping the black tank on leave day. I never had any issue doing that however, the last week long trip we took, I did have a problem. The AAV under the bathroom sink went bad and because of that I got a little smell from the campground sewer system in the bathroom. Took me a bit to figure it out the smell source since it wasn't terribly strong, but once I realized it was coming from inside the bathroom vanity, it was obvious it was the AAV. I closed the grey valve and cleaned the AAV which seems to be sealing again and it solved the problem, but I'm going to order a better quality Studor or Oatey AAV and then I'll probably go back to leaving the grey valve open again. I'll probably replace the one on the kitchen sink also while I'm at it for good measure.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:01 PM   #25

OK. I'm stumped. What is the AAV?

Wikipedia tells me that it is an Adeno-associated virus, which sounds like a trip to the hospital rather than an RV repair shop would be appropriate!

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...qs-191578.html
2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:15 PM   #26

Never!
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #27

Sometimes you have to play tge association game with google...
aav for rv

aav valve... air admittance valve.
Not expensive but if it sticks or goes bad the stink makes you glad you know what and where the problem is.
Smell sewer but sure your toilet isn't it?
Its the aav under kitchen sink usually.

They are cheap enough to travel with a backup for your rig in case it goes bad on the road. It's not a happy smell to spend tge weekend with.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:09 PM   #28

Why should a reader have to spend several minutes trying to figure out an acronym when the writer can spell it out properly the first time they use it? That would take about 5 seconds for the writer, versus several minutes for each of the dozens of readers.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...qs-191578.html
2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
Why should a reader have to spend several minutes trying to figure out an acronym when the writer can spell it out properly the first time they use it? That would take about 5 seconds for the writer, versus several minutes for each of the dozens of readers.

Quoted for truth!
Old 08-16-2019, 06:36 AM   #30

We leave the grey open after watching a waterfall come from my sister in laws camper last summer. They left their dogs in the camper while we went for lunch and one of the dogs bumped the kitchen sink sink faucet and turned it on. Once the grey tank filled and then the sink, then the floor vents and then water was flowing out the doors and slide. Our in laws called and said hurry back. We pulled up to see a kid playing in the water coming out the slide out and our in laws standing in the doorways with brooms pushing water out. Now I will always leave the grey valve open.
B-Rave98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #31
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rave98 View Post
We leave the grey open after watching a waterfall come from my sister in laws camper last summer. They left their dogs in the camper while we went for lunch and one of the dogs bumped the kitchen sink sink faucet and turned it on. Once the grey tank filled and then the sink, then the floor vents and then water was flowing out the doors and slide. Our in laws called and said hurry back. We pulled up to see a kid playing in the water coming out the slide out and our in laws standing in the doorways with brooms pushing water out. Now I will always leave the grey valve open.
We simply turn the water supply off when we leave.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=14
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #32

x2 water or pump goes OFF when we leave for any amount of time.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post

My apologies...... When I wrote AAV it wasn't because I was trying to save time in typing Air Admittance Valve, it's because using them over the years, that's what I call them, AAV. Many of us that have worked in the trades are just used to calling things that way, by a common name rather than the full name. Similarly, I would never say I need a new "Temperature and Pressure Valve for a water heater, I would say I need a new T&P

Ray
US Navy Veteran
Old 08-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
My apologies...... When I wrote AAV it wasn't because I was trying to save time in typing Air Admittance Valve, it's because using them over the years, that's what I call them, AAV. Many of us that have worked in the trades are just used to calling things that way, by a common name rather than the full name. Similarly, I would never say I need a new "Temperature and Pressure Valve for a water heater, I would say I need a new T&P

Ray
FWIW IMO AFAIK FYI IDK WTH U R saying
Frank & Cindy ... Rockwood 2888WS Ultra Lite 5th Wheel---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage camp pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Goodyear Endurance ... Predator 3500---48 days 2019---Payload 4394
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
FWIW IMO AFAIK FYI IDK WTH U R saying
Lol
Old 08-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #36

Depends on what you mean by long term. I know many "seasonal" trailers leave all dump valves open.
danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #37
2000 Wildwood 28RKSS2S

I always leave grey valves open because in my thinking processes I think the sediment from kitchen or shower however small will eventually settle to bottom of tank and could cause a grey sludge buildup and then you would have a grey pyramid. But I use a sewer solution and would have no possible sewer gas to enter the trailer.
That’s my thought and I’m sticking to it for what’s its worth. After over 50 years of RV’ing and no sewer problems except when I made a mistake and accidentally disconnected sewer hose when dumping����
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #38

Smile

As you see, you will get many responses to your question. I'll throw in my 2 cents. I've been RVing since 1986 and this is my method... When I get to the campsite I open the grey valve and leave it open. The black valve is closed. I wait until the black tank indicates 3/4 full then I close the grey tank. The next morning, after morning showers and dishes, I connect the tank flush to the black tank and turn on the water. You will know when it is getting full as you will no longer hear the spray in the black tank. I let the black run until it slows way down, and then I close it and let it fill up a little. Then I open it and watch (clear elbow) what is coming out. If it has solids in it I close it again and let it partially fill again. Usually after doing this, the waste coming out is just the clear water from the sprayer. Then I close the black and let it fill up any exterior plumbing outside the tank. Then the black is turned off and I open the grey tank to flush out the sewer hose and empty that tank. When that's done, if we are staying for a few more days, I leave the grey open, again.

I've heard all the stories about sewer smell and even stories about bugs and critters coming up the grey line and getting into the tank... I have never had this problem in over 30 years of RVing.

I'll tell you one reason I leave the grey tank open. Years ago we left the RV with the grey closed. We did not notice that the filtered water outlet, at the sink, was barely open and continued to put water in the sink. It did not make any noise and we left the RV. We were gone several hours and came back to the RV and found water under the RV and dripping... The neighbor came over and said he saw the leak and turned off the water. It did overflow the grey tank and didn't do much damage except I had to "air out the basement" until it dried. Now, if we are leaving the RV for an extended period, and the grey water valve is close, I turn off the water at the faucet..

Do whatever you get comfortable with, but I totally agree with all the statements about the black tank... Never leave it open or you will get a mountain of you know what building up in the tank and it can be a problem to get it to come out...
Old 08-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #39

The trick is water lots and lots of water
Jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #40

Like others have said, keep the black tank valve shut, unless you're emptying and flushing the tank. After you get done flushing the tank and have shut the valve, put at least 5 gallons of water in the tank and then add the tank chemical.

After you've emptied the black tank use at least one of the gray tanks to flush the piping and sewer hose, make sure you're wearing nitrile gloves whenever you're handling the sewer hoses. You can buy the gloves from Sams club, they come 2 boxes per package (100 pairs in each box), these gloves also come in very handy for cleaning fish, handling raw meats or for breading stuff that's going in the frying pan or deep fryer.

When you've finished stowing the hoses remove your gloves one at a time, the correct way is to grab the glove around your wrist and pull it straight forward until it's inside out, then place it in the other glove and remove the second in the same way you removed the first one, then toss them into the trash and grab your bottle of hand sanitizer to clean your hands.

If you leave the valve for the black tank open all the time the poop and TP will build up and harden inside the tank, the dump valve tract could also get fouled by a piece of TP and then you'll either have to remove the valve and clean it out yourself or pay someone else to do the job for you.

I found this out the hard way when I bought a used 16 year old 5th wheel, the former owners left the dump valves open for at least a couple of years, and the black tank sensors were plastered with old TP and poop and always read full, I had to use a rubber mallet to get the valve to shut fully.

I traded that 5er in on a brand new one in June and I can't wait to hit the road with it, sadly I have to wait until hurricane season is over.

Tags
tank, valve