Old 08-29-2014, 10:06 PM   #51

We had a tough last week as well on the way home from a great trip. After our transfer switch got fried leaving us with no shore power, a few days later we were on our way home and going thru nasty construction with shifting lanes and concrete barriers on the sides. A not so professional panel truck driver (in my experience MOST big rig truck drivers are total pros and never worry me) sideswiped us and luckily only hit my mirror while at highway speed. It was very scary and p!##&@ me off as it was less a foot from my head, it was on the side of the coach my child rides in her car seat, and he was obviously swerving and scared of the concrete barriers on his side and attempting an unsafe pass in shifting temporary lanes.
Thank goodness nobody got hurt and it was just the mirror and not the side bodywork that got damaged.
Needless to say the family was content to spend our last night in a hotel but we will be happy to be back at it next time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140829_220452.png
Views:	76
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	61760   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140829_220508.png
Views:	66
Size:	511.4 KB
ID:	61761   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140829_220526.png
Views:	70
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	61762  

Old 08-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #52

That must have been scary and I can totally understand why you were p'd. Did he at least stop and give you his insurance info?

Old 08-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #53

Riding next to those barriers or alongside a semi in tight construction lanes is the only time I get tense on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #54

I honestly believe half of the total 4 lane and interstate miles in Ohio is under construction this summer

Old 08-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #55

No he didn't stop and there would have been no place to stop with all the construction barriers, plus our shock at the whole thing made my focus on just keeping cool and keeping going. I gave him a double blast of the horn (to say the f word greeting) and he stepped on the pedal and took off and got lost to us in traffic. We now have a procedure if something like that happens again that I keep safe control while driving and my wife will use her notepad and/or phone to get the license plate #. It is a sad reality that we should think we have to be prepared for that sort of encounter. Ah, life on the road. I guess if it was always easy then everyone would do it!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #56

Thats to bad he didn't stop even if we had to wait until the next exit. Hope nothing else goes bad for you. Hopefully the trip was still lots of fun.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:48 PM   #57

Thanks Phil. Yes and it was still a great trip and worth the troubles. Same trip scheduled for next year (although I think I will go my regular route toward home and avoid the perpetual construction on I-81 in Scranton, PA!)
Old 08-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Roamer View Post
I honestly believe half of the total 4 lane and interstate miles in Ohio is under construction this summer

Must be all of those "shovel ready" projects from a few years back are finally kicking in LOL.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #59

mj,
I had a similar experience a few years back. Returning home from a trip I was on a 2 lane road about 2 miles from home. A guy towing a camping trailer passed me and hit my drivers mirror. It broke it almost completely off. I was able to get him to pull into a nearby parking area and got his information. He didn't want to go through his insurance so I got an estimate and he sent me a check. I was lucky in that regard.
Happy to hear that you enjoyed your trip and no one was hurt.
Tom

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Roamer View Post
It was a Michelin 255/80R22.5 G with 21000 miles. I had checked the tire pressure the night before and it was at the normal level of 105 psi. I have had the coach weighed front and rear and know I am at, but not over, max capacity. I have never had the individual wheels weighed. I keep covers on the tires whenever I am parked for more than a couple days. If this was my oldest tire it was made in 2011, but it could have been one of the 2012 tires. Not sure.
Randy at FR says I am the first one to have a blow out on the Berkshire. The road service guy did not have Michelins so he put a Goodyear tire on that was made in 2007. Not happy about that and will either replace it or put it on inside rear.

Roamer, also glad that you're ok. Just wondering, though, if you paid for the replacement tire and it has a 2007 manufacture date, I would try to have them replace it with a new one. That one is on the edge of replacement by date (at least that is my understanding) Did you have tire replacement insurance?

Tags
berkshire