Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #1

Why are my batteries dead

I use to store our 390 BH inside and plugged in but I sold the building and now have to store it out side. My problem is it will set there for two or three weeks and when I go to pick it up to go camping the house batteries are dead. When I drop it off at the storage lot I turn off both battery switches in the battery compartment and I flip the switch just inside the main door to the motor home.

Can anyone tell me were I am drawing power from? The house batteries are less then a year old and I have a watering system attach and check the water regularly.

One last question can I leave the batteries in the motor home over the winter? We live in Denver so it does get below freezing sometimes.
csichoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csichoice View Post
I use to store our 390 BH inside and plugged in but I sold the building and now have to store it out side. My problem is it will set there for two or three weeks and when I go to pick it up to go camping the house batteries are dead. When I drop it off at the storage lot I turn off both battery switches in the battery compartment and I flip the switch just inside the main door to the motor home.

Can anyone tell me were I am drawing power from? The house batteries are less then a year old and I have a watering system attach and check the water regularly.

One last question can I leave the batteries in the motor home over the winter? We live in Denver so it does get below freezing sometimes.
I believe there is some "parasitic" current draw even with EVERY switch turned off. Probably the only way to totally shut it down is by disconnecting the bats at the main terminals.

If they are in good shape and fully charged, then they should stand several months without discharging enough to hurt them. Note I say "should"; YMMV.

My old Dutch Star did that; found there was a storage compartment light left on by accident.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #3

You should have 3 switches in the battery compartment. 2 on the top by the starting batteries and 1 by the house batteries. If you leave the one on by the house batteries and just turn off the "ssleman switch" by yhe doorway uou will gey a parasiditic draw like Boo said. That should solve your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
'11 390BH

I had the salesman switch in the off position and could still hear the inverter fan making noise back, maybe its the same thing OP is dealing wtih
Old 09-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
You should have 3 switches in the battery compartment. 2 on the top by the starting batteries and 1 by the house batteries. If you leave the one on by the house batteries and just turn off the "ssleman switch" by yhe doorway uou will gey a parasiditic draw like Boo said. That should solve your problem.

My understanding is that even with the 3 switches in the batt compartment off AND the salesman switch off, the inverter can STILL draw power if the inverter's power switch is in the on postiion. I haven't verified this, but it's just something I heard.

Boowho??
Old 09-03-2015, 09:35 PM   #6

maybe the batteries are just no longer any good and wont hold a charge
Old 09-03-2015, 10:01 PM   #7

Boo
I have verified that when I turn off all 3 switches there is no power to anything on the coach including the inverter which I always have turned off unless I am using it.

Living in SC I have stored the MH for up to 5 months without any trickle charge and the batteries still have plenty of power when I take it out of storage. BTW I never turn off the "salesman switch". No need to once I turn off the the house battery switch.

Marty
Old 09-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Boo
I have verified that when I turn off all 3 switches there is no power to anything on the coach including the inverter which I always have turned off unless I am using it.

Living in SC I have stored the MH for up to 5 months without any trickle charge and the batteries still have plenty of power when I take it out of storage. BTW I never turn off the "salesman switch". No need to once I turn off the the house battery switch.

Marty
Thanks for that..... I was apparently told wrong and had not checked it myself.

Boowho??
Old 09-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #9

Disconnect the main battery wire. There are several possible small drains from safety devices. If you do that batteries should last with no problem even over winter if fully charged in the fall. Good luck.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #10

One last question can I leave the batteries in the motor home over the winter? We live in Denver so it does get below freezing sometimes.[/QUOTE]

I'm not qualified to comment on your other question, but leaving the batteries in the MH over the winter will not be a problem at all as long as the fluid level is up to the full mark and they are fully charged.
However, if you do decide to store them inside don't set them directly on a concrete floor, there is always a remote chance of acid leaking out (sweating) and causing damage to the floor.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #11

No problem as long as fully charged at start of winter. I do it all the time.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #12

Radio memory, CO detector and the HVAC thermostat are the things I would check for battery drain.
drc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #13

When I turn off the switch located next to the house batteries it kills everything including the CO/LP detector, radio clock memory, refridgerator electronics, HVAC thermostat, etc. No need to dusconnect a cable as there is no parasitic drain from that point.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #14

Quote:
When I turn off the switch located next to the house batteries it kills everything including the CO/LP detector, radio clock memory, refridgerator electronics, HVAC thermostat, etc. No need to dusconnect a cable as there is no parasitic drain from that point.

This is my experience also. When my MH sat all winter it would be ok without a trickle charge. That said if electric is available I would put one on as a precaution.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery