Old 08-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #1

Why DEF tank is so hard to getmto.

Just wondering why the folks at Forestriver put the DEF Tank on their coaches in such a hard to get to place. The guy who decided to do this obviously has not tried to put fluid in it!

Old 08-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #2

I have my local repair guy trying to help me come up with a way to add fluid that does not take two people. It is even on the wrong side to use the DEF pumps at truck stops. This was obviously an after thought and a bad one.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #3

Some of the new Fords have them side-by-side and it is not uncommon to have an operator put DEF Fliud in a fuel tank and ruin an engine.
Why they make them so difficult to get into is an engineer's dream, which is an owner's nightmare.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #4

What kind of Rigs do you guys have? The Solera has it's DEF tank right up front in the engine compartment very easy to get to and fill.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #5

I have a 2011 Berkshire 340rb and the tank is in the next to the last compartment on the passenger side. You have to open the compartment door and it opens upward blocking you access to the tank nozzle. I have had to rig a long hose and funnel so I can add fluid. Can,t even put in fluid at truck stops as it is on the wrong side.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #6

The Berkshire does not. It is in the back and to fill at the pump you must move the MH and enter the pump from the wrong end. Most truckers already think we are dumb ***** anyway now enter the pump from the wrong direction. To fill the tank from a 2.5 gal.container you must pour the DEF into a gallon milk container and then pour it into the tank. Thankfully not a task that needs doing often. It could have been thought out better swapping with the LP would be my choice.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #7

I feel for you guys, hope something comes up to help you out.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

There is no way to fix it. It's not a major deal just should be thought out better. The DEF thing did not come up and blind side anyone. They new they would need to make this change for several years.
A gallon plastic jug works and will allow you to pour into the tank. I still spill a little. I hope that stuff isn't toxic.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #9

On a recent trip to West Glacier, MT and back to South Carolina, I had to put DEF in a couple of times. I never let mine get below two green bars. My southern engineering isn't working so I will try your milk jug suggestion. My dad used to put oil in his push mower with a small Coke bottle and he never spilled a drop.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #10

I took two of the spouts for the 2.5 gal jugs from wally world and taped them together and fill from my 2.5 gal jugs. I make sure to clean it after. it looks ugly but it works.