Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Mbh818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: East Stroudsburg, PA
Posts: 104
Window Awnings

Hi Gang-

Any recommendations on window awnings? Looking at Carefree and there are lots of options. Don't need top of the line but also don't want the cheap.

How about installation. Too tough to do yourself?

Thanks.

Mike


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
Mike Hollar
2014 Berkshire 390BH-40
2012 Chevy Equinox - TOAD
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
I had Care Free do mine at a rally. Simple install. I think installing them yourself is easy enough. Our are 3 years old and holding up well. Mine have covers on them.
__________________

__________________
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mbh818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: East Stroudsburg, PA
Posts: 104
Thansk Phil


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
Mike Hollar
2014 Berkshire 390BH-40
2012 Chevy Equinox - TOAD
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 739
I went with Carefree Awnings to match the main awning. The fabric is the 90% sun shield but see through. They are great and easy to put on. The butal tape holds the rail on until you get screws in. Only need help threading the big awning on the living room side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	100255  
__________________
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I went with Carefree Awnings to match the main awning. The fabric is the 90% sun shield but see through. They are great and easy to put on. The butal tape holds the rail on until you get screws in. Only need help threading the big awning on the living room side.
Looks good Silver! This is one of the first mods I want to do (once we get our rig )

I presume these are electric? How is the wiring and open/retract switch mounted? Do these awnings have a wind sensor?
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,559
I think your presumption is premature. I think I see the clip where the draw strap secures the awnings in the out position.
__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 3,416
Most window awnings I have seen are manually operated unlike the main awning.
__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Looks good Silver! This is one of the first mods I want to do (once we get our rig )

I presume these are electric? How is the wiring and open/retract switch mounted? Do these awnings have a wind sensor?
You can get electric. They would be like the awning over the door and not have the side arms. The awnings I put on are manual. I have had them out in 30+ MPH wind with no problems. The side arms and small size makes them very stable. You use an awning pull to deploy, very easy. If you wanted electric you could tap into the lighting circuit under the cabinets but I do not think they are as strong.
__________________
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
You can get electric. They would be like the awning over the door and not have the side arms. The awnings I put on are manual. I have had them out in 30+ MPH wind with no problems. The side arms and small size makes them very stable. You use an awning pull to deploy, very easy. If you wanted electric you could tap into the lighting circuit under the cabinets but I do not think they are as strong.
Thanks Silver - I also suspect the electric option is slightly more expensive Think I will go manual like you did.

Since the Berk comes with Carefree awnings, are you able to match the fabric and frames with the window awnings?
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 155
Dealer installed mine when I bought my Berk I think he was trying to get rid of the Berk he said why would you need one under the awning. First winter in Florida found it was to windy in Florida for the main awning had a Window one installed when I returned to jersey. Jim
__________________

__________________
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.