Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #1

Windshield wiper trouble

Just drove to a destination through a rainstorm. Driver's side wiper got caught in the wind and blew right over the left edge of the windshield and got caught.

I think it twisted on the mounting tooth gear and if I try and use it, it flies over to the left off the windshield every time.

I took the mounting nut off and attempted to remove the arm but it appears spring loaded.

How do I get it off and move it back it back over into position?

Sent from my iPhone 'cause I'm probably out in the RV!
DJP6371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #2

Should just pull off of the spindle once the nut is taken off. Try lifting the arm away from the windshield and then try pulling it off.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #3

Had the same issue with my coach this week. Once the cap nut is removed the wiper arm pulls straight off. Even after i repaired the arm the wiper still over shoots off the left side of the winddhield and catches on the frame of the coaches end cap and thus breaks the wiper and arm. It seems to be worse when it is raining hard and driving with the wind hitting the windshield. When stopped the arm does not swing as far over and does not go off the windshield. Have others noticed this and is there any adjustment that keeps the arm from swinging off the windshield to the left?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:13 PM   #4

WOW.

If anyone reading this thread has found a replacement arm that'll take 29" blades, I'm most interested. I'm not at all impressed with the available 32" replacement and would rather have a great 29" on there and the ability to grab a replacement wherever I am. In a pouring rain I'd take a great 24" over a lousy 32"

Gotta wonder
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #5

If the wiper arm doesn't come off with a little pulling pressure, try a small gear puller (sometimes called a steering wheel puller).

After you get it off you can adjust the travel by positioning it on the spindle which has matching teeth for the arm.

It may take a couple of tries to get it just right.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er

BIG YES! I'm having that problem with our brand new 2015 Legacy! Going into the shop this Wednesday for a couple of other items and plan on seeing what gives with it then. It hasn't broken the arm but it sure flies off the left edge of the windshield when driving. I had been watching on here to see if it was just me or not. I'll keep you all posted as to what they tell me on Wednesday.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:03 AM   #7

Battery terminal puller works best.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #8

Well add me to the club. Started happening an hr ago. Was able to get here without destroying it so maybe I can repair for the trip home
Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er

The dealer tells me they have mine fixed though it's still there for other issues so I've not tried it out. They say the nut on the drive spindle at the base of the arm gets loose and let's the arm rotate too far. Try aligning both arms when the wipers are in the down and stored position by loosening the nut, pulling the arm off and rotating it, then replace the nut. Hope it helps. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #10

My cap nut was finger loose. When I have daylight and sanity (okay, daylight) I will see if I can pop the arm off and check spindle nut. If not I will tighten cap nut and give it all a better look when I get home. More determined now to find a replacement arm thatll take 28s.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottawonder View Post
More determined now to find a replacement arm thatll take 28s.
Good idea!! After reading this thread I went to a local auto parts dealer and paid $95 for 2-32" RV wiper blade replacements!
Didn't even get a senior citizens discount! (LOL!!)

Old 07-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #12

Hi Tom
You got ripped off. I paid $33 each for them at O'Reilly's. And they were Tricos. Enjoy Watkins Glen Say hello for us to all our friends.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #13

Marty I'll ask him a couple of times what he paid. LOL. Wish you and Donna had made the rally but we will look forward to Goshen. Margaret says you are going to Cypress Trail after the Tampa show. She couldn't remember exactly but that's what she thought. Hope so. That's out winter park.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 PM   #14

Phil
Up here in Acadiia Maine. We had promised the girls for the trip north otherwise we would have been to Watkins Glen.
Margaret is right, we will be staying at your winter park i believe is for 1 week. Don't rub it into Tom too much that he over paid for his wiper blades You know how sensitive he his.
Got my leveling system fixed today. We were fortunate to get a great mobile RV service. They were Ellsworth RV and i would highly recommend them for anyone in the area that might have a problem with their RV. In addition they work out of Orlando for the winter.
See you in a couple of weeks in Goshen.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #15

I'll go easy on him. Glad all the repairs are done Enjoy the trip.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #16

Damn, I paid too much for my wiper blades! Now I'll be bummed out for the entire weekend!(LOL!)

Marty- what was the issue with your levelers?

Old 07-10-2015, 07:48 AM   #17

Tom
The controller that is mounted on the ceiling of the bay mid ship went bad the whole thing had to be replaced. The part alone was $510 + $124 shipping and handling (ouch) and of course to cist for the service call.

When are you leaving for mouseland?

Old 07-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #18

I just bought a pair of wiper blades at camping world, Trico 67-324 and paid $29.99 each. They are in the catalog for the same price. Amazon has them for $39.99 each.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:29 AM   #19
7 Year Class A RV'er

Paulie Boy: I saw the same thing on CW's website and was considering them. Have you had a chance to install them yet? I'm wondering how they are weight wise when compared to the OEM wipers. I think a great deal of the problem I'm seeing is the OEM wipers are so small and light they are actually being blown off the windshield at highway speeds, twisting them on the spindles until they are in the wrong position. It only seems to be the driver side that is affected.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #20

The Trico 32 inch blade at Camping World and other auto suppliers are far more robust than the OEM that came on the coach. I had to buy the replacement Trico's brcause the OEM was flying off the windshiekd on the drivers side and bent the original wiper blade. The real problem is there is too much play in the wiper motor mechanism and the movement of the long arm at highway speeds (wind force) on a wet windshield allows the blade to fly to far left. The spindle is NOT slipping.