Old 12-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #1

Winter in a Berkshire in Grand Junction CO

Well it's been an incredible first year and I've learned a lot from you guys! Thank You! Currently a traveling RN in Acton California, just got an incredible job offer in my dream location Grand Junction CO . Winter here in Cali is mild compared to Jersey, but I don't know if my Berk will survive in Grand Junction, I have heated hoses for city water, and don't mind having house at 68 but will other things freeze up, that water panel has me worried. And is there anything I could do to help situation like skirting , and does anyone know of permanent RV lots with maybe a barn to pull into? Ps with all the trouble I had with @&@& hot water heater &$@& Girard. I though I made a mistake but first sunset in high desert with my copilot/wife was worth it! Also I lived close enough to Girard that with their support and Service Rite here in Acton it's a beautiful thing 😉

2015 Berkshire XL 400QL
2014 MINI Cooper Countryman (that pulls nothing)
Sigmili1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #2

You can hang a light in the water bay that will help a little to keep those lines from freezing. You tank heaters should keep the tanks defrosted. I don't think skirting will help much as most of the water lines are run in the walls above the cargo area.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #3

Winter in a Berkshire in Grand Junction CO

You could change water heater to Atwood they have winter version that had heat traced lines option.

Wayne
Old 12-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

Go buy some insulation batten in a roll and cut some for the water bay... Stuff it in there and maybe it will help - i don't know but worth a shot....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-19-2015, 10:07 PM   #5

You shouldn't have to much of an issue, use hay bales around the outside to block the wind, just be sure to buy a temp monitor with multiple remotes so you can monitor all the bay's that have water in them. The weather looks like it doesn't get much below 0 and Usually is above freezing some of the day.
I would worry most about the water heater, talk to the manufacture, I think it's supposed to have a winter setting to keep it from freezing. Plan on getting a external propane tank, you will need it.
I lived in mine in Missouri year round for 3 years and never broke anything, but did freeze up a couple of times (no monitors) and had to add ,light bulbs in a couple of bays. Never went below 0 and usually made it above freezing sometime during the day. Sewer froze up once but thawed out by afternoon. Water bay froze when bulb burned out, so put 2 60 watt bulbs in. Used electric heaters until it gets close to freezing then cranked up the propane heater.
It's an adventure. My issue was tornados, wiped out the campers on both side of me but left me alone. I was not in it at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:57 PM   #6

You could use heat tape in the water bay. Some have a thermostat. Heat tape might even work on the sewer.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:14 AM   #7

While in Idaho for the winter I used small personal heaters in the wet bay and the area with the water pump and they put out enough heat to maintain 50 degrees when the outside temp was -7, just plugged them into the service pole or run an extension cord to one of you outlets. They pull 1.5 amps each and use remote temp sensors so you can keep an eye on things. On our George Town, I did have the cold water line to the HWH freeze but placed a drop light in the service hole and solved that problem. Definitely will need an external propane tank and you can rent one from a propane provider, mine was 50 bucks a year, not bad I thought and was 125 gal tank.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
jkoenig24

"You can hang a light in the water bay that will help a little to keep those lines from freezing"

Just make SURE to use an old fashioned incandescent fillament bulb that actually produces heat; not a new LED bulb. I'd recommend a metal backed, drop light with a "rough service" bulb. As stated, have remote temp sensors where you need to prevent freeze up.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #9

Thank you all!! you gave me hope! I really want this job
2015 Berkshire XL 400QL
2014 MINI Cooper Countryman (that pulls nothing)
Sigmili1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #10

I'm wintering outside of Colorado Springs this year. I put a thermometer with an inside monitor in the water bay.
The park I'm in runs heated/insulated waterline to my rig, and provided a home size propane tank that they hook up also.
So far, the temp in the water bay has gotten no more than 20 degrees cooler than the inside temp.
A major thing I learnt to help with the indoor temp was hanging a comforter across inside of windshield and drivers side window.
Also, the windows in the slide at the head of the bed would stay pretty cold so I hung thick towels over them.
Under the dash and the front step area is next on my list to work on.
Also, the outside access to the fridge has ice maker water lines in it, haven't addressed that yet but have heard a wad of Xmas lights stuffed in there does the trick.
I haven't done any kind of underpinning and don't see any reason to at this point since we've experienced temps in the teens already and done fine.

Hope that helps

2012 Forest River Berkshire 390FL
2013 Hyundai Veloster

Tags
berkshire, winter