Old 12-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #31
Cyclone

I'm in Blue Grass. Half way between Muscatine and the Quad Cities on highway 61. It's nice to see some Iowa representation on the forums! Hope you're surviving the cold snap. When I lived in Waterloo, we'd have had 6" of snow with this kind of weather. Sure don't miss that!

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #32

I worked for the Bendex Corp. in davenport for several years, and drove thru Blue Grass every day. The shiny half domes with bumps used as lawn decorations were part of a top secret cryogenic system for NASA, now when there I see one now and then in some one's yard it seems odd. LOL

Old 12-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellri View Post
I worked for the Bendex Corp. in davenport for several years, and drove thru Blue Grass every day. The shiny half domes with bumps used as lawn decorations were part of a top secret cryogenic system for NASA, now when there I see one now and then in some one's yard it seems odd. LOL
I remember those glass balls for lawn ornaments. And here's another blast from the past for you guys.. Remember Lustron homes??? There were two of them in DBQ in the 50's.

With all due respect to you guys still there, if I had to ever come back, I'd rather just croak. This is not meant to be a slam or hurt anyone's feeling. We're all just different. I'll bet MANY folks from Iowa would think I'm crazy because I love the desert Southwest.

Oh, yeah..... Just got back from the swimming pool here in Yuma!!!

We actually had a light dusting of frost this morning (low about 36) and we were all *itching like crazy!! Brrrrr!!

Boowho???
Old 12-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #34

We are camped at the beach in S. Texas. We had planned to escape the ice/wind/snow in Dallas this weekend but the cold followed us. After multiple cycles, the heat pump puts out good heat, and then all of a sudden will make a "buzzing" noise and then will stop putting out warm air. If we let it rest it will then come back to normal operation. We have the Artic Pkg and ceramic heaters to back up. Guess we need to get this checked when we get home??

We are traveling in our Solera.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #35

How cold did it get. I believe the HP is good to 45f. It might be freezing up.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #36

I believe they no longer work below 40-45 degrees so he's correct - it's probably freezing up... Just kick on the furnace and you'll be nice and toasty....
Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #37

The temps reached about 34 last night and today was about 38 to 42. So, if we are under 45, and this has been sustained, then you are right. Makes sense as to why it will start up again after it "rests". Thanks!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
How cold did it get. I believe the HP is good to 45f. It might be freezing up.

Mine does something completely "out of character" for a HP. The blower will suddenly shutdown whilst the compressor continues to run. After a minute or two the blower comes back on and everything returns to normal.

Anyone??

Boowho??
Old 12-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #39
Cyclone

The heat pumps will cycle in cold weather by design. It is mentioned in the book, but in essence they are reversing back to A/C mode to warm the coils on the outside to keep from freezing up. The fan is shut off at that point so cold air is not blown into the coach. This is what it sounds like both of you are experiencing. Unfortunately we experience it all the time while tailgating in central Iowa for big 12 football. As long as the unit starts back up you are fine.

45 is what my Coleman's stated on my old coach, but I believe Domestic says there's will work to 35. My experience on ours is that they will continue to work below this if the temperature falls after it is started.

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote