Old 12-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #1

Winter Operations???

Greetings everyone, been a long time viewer and let me just say you guys rock. Proud owner of a 2014 390BH that we took delivery of in May and we positively love it. We live in SoCal currently and are planning a trip "home" to the Midwest for the holidays and would love to take the Berk. Never would have dreamed of it with our last MH but with heated tanks I figure why not investigate it, right? So, questions is if there is no bitter cold (low teens and below) forecast what do you all think? And if so what would we need to do or be careful of? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMosley33 View Post
Greetings everyone, been a long time viewer and let me just say you guys rock. Proud owner of a 2014 390BH that we took delivery of in May and we positively love it. We live in SoCal currently and are planning a trip "home" to the Midwest for the holidays and would love to take the Berk. Never would have dreamed of it with our last MH but with heated tanks I figure why not investigate it, right? So, questions is if there is no bitter cold (low teens and below) forecast what do you all think? And if so what would we need to do or be careful of? Thanks in advance!
Your furnace and/or heat pump will run 24/7 and you'll still be VERY cold inside. "R" Value in these coaches is almost nil unless you have something called an "Arctic Pack" as an option. I don't think it's available on the Berk; don't know much about the AP option.

I wouldn't do it myself, but I HATE cold anyhow; even for a few days.

Boowho??

Old 12-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #3

When I camp in cold weather, I use ceramic space heaters and they work great. My furnace doesn't even turn on and I don't waste my propane! Usually put one small one in the bedroom and a larger one in the main living area.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Go for it. We camped in our travel trailer for a week over Thanksgiving here in N.C., and temps got in the mid-teens most nights. We didn't get cold. Nothing froze. We do NOT have an arctic pack. Unless your holding tanks are full with no room for expansion, a little overnight freezing isn't going to hurt them. We use a heated fresh water hose. That's it. We've camped year-round for 8 or 10 years with no cold-related problems. Don't let others scare you away from winter camping.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
When I camp in cold weather, I use ceramic space heaters and they work great. My furnace doesn't even turn on and I don't waste my propane! Usually put one small one in the bedroom and a larger one in the main living area.
The Ceramic Heaters work very well. We bring the room temp up to where we want it with the furnace, then set the ceramic heater to just come on at that temp, then lower the thermostat for the furnace to a few degees less. In very low temperatures, the (small) ceramic heater we use will run pretty much continuously, and if it can't keep up, the furnace will come on for short periods. Could probably use (2) ceramic heaters like JTNB posted, but with only 30amp service on our Solera, would be pushing the limit. If you have 50amp service, you could use two, but make sure they're on separate breakers.

We love winter camping - problem being to find campgrounds that are open during coldest months! (Good excuse to go south!)
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Berkshire 390QS

Driving the MH in the snow is not fun at all and if your on a tight schedule would plan on a few extra days on the road just in case of ice or snow. As to keeping warm you need to plan on a few electric heaters, even when driving down the road with generator on due to the dash heater not putting out much heat. Last year coming back to CO, we hit a snow storm and ended up going about 30MPH for several hours. Also if your water filter freezes it will break, been there and done that one and not easy to find.
Skip
NO3putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #7

Thanks all. Anyone know more about the water filter and those connections in that compartment? That appears to be the weak link to me. I understand the tanks are heated but as water gets in those smaller individual pipes at the "control center" and in the filter I can see issues. Had a guy at dealership tell me to just leave the light on in that compartment when it's really cold???? Not so worried about the temp inside as far as comfort goes as we will be parked at my parents house just don't want any costly repairs from me forgetting something.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks all. Anyone know more about the water filter and those connections in that compartment? That appears to be the weak link to me. I understand the tanks are heated but as water gets in those smaller individual pipes at the "control center" and in the filter I can see issues. Had a guy at dealership tell me to just leave the light on in that compartment when it's really cold???? Not so worried about the temp inside as far as comfort goes as we will be parked at my parents house just don't want any costly repairs from me forgetting something.
If the compartment light is an LED, it won't put out hardly any heat. You might consider a drop light on an extension cord.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
Berkshire 390QS

With any luck your parents house is wired with a RV outlet either 30 or 50 amps, just do not plug in to their dryer or welding outlet, it will be 240 and will fry your electronics. take some extra heavy duty extension cords so you can run put to the motorhome for space heaters. Drive careful and enjoy your trip
Skip
NO3putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #10

lol from here thats kinda funny

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (9).jpg
Views:	190
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	43370
its -29c here today with severe snowfall warning im in Dawson Creek British Columbia. which is 1329km or just under a thousand miles north of spokane. I work up here and stay in my fifth wheel year round. An electric heater will help from burning alot of propane but the furnace needs to run when below freezing heating your living space will keep you warm but not the piping most trailers the water will run somehwere near the furnace ducts as well as the water filter compartment has a heat vent i have it insulated and have had no problems with my filter freezing even at -38 c (-36.4f). Because of where i am my trailer is skirted in with insulated vinyl, with two heat lamps and a small electric heater under the trailer, after all heat rises! a heavy duty water hose insulated heat taped and insulated again keeps the water flowing and an insulated heat taped sewer hose keeps u know what flowing as well, i just bought this unit two months ago, but knew where i was going to be so it has heated tanks and insulated windows winter camping is way better than hotel rooms and other ppls cooties.