Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #1

Winter trips Cold weather your thoughts?

RugBuddy™ Portable Floor Heaters by Speedheat® Floor Heating

Heat for under your carpet.
skishbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:45 AM   #2

I like the 22"x7- ft one that would go nice in front of the sofa. but at 170 watts- it may warm the rug- but its not going to heat the room. a typical portable heater is 1000-15000 watts.

Last year i driveway camped for 7 weeks- (house remodel) To prevent freeze ups ( nights in the 20's)I put 2 - 700 watt heaters in the basement of the coach-( 1-by water pump- other in cargo area) the side effect was much warmer floors.

Now that I'm thing about it , the would be great under the booth table- which is in the slide and exposed to outside.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
I like the 22"x7- ft one that would go nice in front of the sofa. but at 170 watts- it may warm the rug- but its not going to heat the room. a typical portable heater is 1000-15000 watts.

Last year i driveway camped for 7 weeks- (house remodel) To prevent freeze ups ( nights in the 20's)I put 2 - 700 watt heaters in the basement of the coach-( 1-by water pump- other in cargo area) the side effect was much warmer floors.

Now that I'm thing about it , the would be great under the booth table- which is in the slide and exposed to outside.
You've touched on the most important part. If the unit was designed with heated underbelly to prevent freezing of water lines it more likely than not relies on the furnace for this heat. Anything one does to reduce the running of the furnace may end up "starving" heat from the area that may need it the most.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #4

Extra stuff

So far I will have wet bay heat. Also installed hot water heater cold weather kit. I will pickup 2 of the under carpet heaters. My 38a will be plugged in to my hose power 30 amp outlet. I do plan on having furnace set to 40.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #5

I just want to be overly safe..
Old 10-02-2019, 10:26 PM   #6

If camping during cold weather with Shore Power always available, any water line at risk of freezing can always have some "heat tape" added to it.
there are two types available. One is just a round "cable" that is self regulating and can be cut to exact length, adding power connector and end cap.

Other type is a paired cable of a fixed length that has a thermostatic switch incorporated into the connector end.

Tape to the affected lines per instruction and plug in. Like the 12V RV tank heater pads the heat tapes don't come on until temp drops below 40 and turns off before it hits 60 (F).

Biggest issue if long term camping in cold weather is being able to dump the black tank.

Bad news if it fills up because you left the valve closed like instructed and then when dumping find you just have a giant "fudgesicle" (or would it be aa tank of Chocolate Ice Cream?) behind the valve (if you can get it open).

Old 10-03-2019, 04:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
You've touched on the most important part. If the unit was designed with heated underbelly to prevent freezing of water lines it more likely than not relies on the furnace for this heat. Anything one does to reduce the running of the furnace may end up "starving" heat from the area that may need it the most.

I agree - but the Berkshires furnace does not heat the basement.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Our Berkshire has tank heaters.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
2020 Bershire 34QS

Our 34QS has a tank heater too. What tank does it heat and when I check the control panel for the heater, it warns that the level is low?
Old 10-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill16 View Post
Our 34QS has a tank heater too. What tank does it heat and when I check the control panel for the heater, it warns that the level is low?
Switch may say "tank heater" (singular) but usually there is a heat pad on each tank as well as a pipe heater on the discharge pipes of holding tanks. May vary by model. This is how mine is equipped.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill16 View Post
Berkshire tank heaters heat the black, grey and fresh tank. The precision panel may be looking for a certain level of full before it activates the tank warmer. All the explanations should be in your owner's manuals. If you didn't get your owners manuals call Randy Alwine at Forest River and ask him to send you a copy of the owner's manuals. Randy Alwine: 574-327-2195 or send him an email: Ralwine@forestriverinc.com
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter