Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #1

winterizing

I just wanted to ask a question about winterizing Berk. I've done my previous class c, but never the Berk. Do I just empty water tank, fill antifreeze through hose on pump and open water valves/ toilet until pink? What about residential refrigerator, especially the ice maker? Thanks for any ideas....

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #2

Rich,
Yes, you need to empty the water tank. Then, I usually blow out all of the lines with my compressor. I then pump the antifreeze through everything- including the water in the door until it comes out of the door of the refrigerator and the ice maker. If you leave the ice maker on while you pump the pink through the system, it should cycle and you will get some pink in the ice maker. You should also remove the filter in the refrigerator and put the blue cap in its place. That way you won't pump it through the refrigerator filter. Don't forget to pour the pink stuff down the drains to fill the traps.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #3

How many gallons of the pink stuff should it take ? ( approx. )

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Rich,
Yes, you need to empty the water tank. Then, I usually blow out all of the lines with my compressor. I then pump the antifreeze through everything- including the water in the door until it comes out of the door of the refrigerator and the ice maker. If you leave the ice maker on while you pump the pink through the system, it should cycle and you will get some pink in the ice maker. You should also remove the filter in the refrigerator and put the blue cap in its place. That way you won't pump it through the refrigerator filter. Don't forget to pour the pink stuff down the drains to fill the traps.

Thanks Tom....

Rich
Old 09-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #5

Joe,
I usually use about 6 -7 gallons- but I tend to use more because I tend to keep the faucets open a little longer than I need to. I like to err on the safe side.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Joe,
I usually use about 6 -7 gallons- but I tend to use more because I tend to keep the faucets open a little longer than I need to. I like to err on the safe side.
Tom do you store your coach outside for the winter/ If you do do you put a cover over it ? I'm going to store outside, but don't really want to use a cover because I've read where they can wear on paint finish.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #7

Joe,
I used to put a cover on mine when I didn't use it for about 6 months- and yes, I did get some chafing on the corners. Now that I'm getting REAL OLD (LOL!!), we bail out of here about Jan 4-5 and head south to the warm weather so I don't bother covering it for the 2 months that I don't use it. (we will use it in October to go to the Hershey Antique Auto show in the beginning of Oct and this year we are going to the FCOC rally toward the end of Oct) so I won't bother to cover it.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Tom do you store your coach outside for the winter/ If you do do you put a cover over it ? I'm going to store outside, but don't really want to use a cover because I've read where they can wear on paint finish.

Joe, there is an article this month in motorhome magazine that addresses rv cover information such as your concerns.

Rich
Old 09-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Joe,
I used to put a cover on mine when I didn't use it for about 6 months- and yes, I did get some chafing on the corners. Now that I'm getting REAL OLD (LOL!!), we bail out of here about Jan 4-5 and head south to the warm weather so I don't bother covering it for the 2 months that I don't use it. (we will use it in October to go to the Hershey Antique Auto show in the beginning of Oct and this year we are going to the FCOC rally toward the end of Oct) so I won't bother to cover it.

Thanks Tom, some day when I get that old I plan on doing the same . Going south for winter.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Joe, there is an article this month in motorhome magazine that addresses rv cover information such as your concerns.

Rich

Thanks Rich. It's sitting on the coffee table, I'll read the article.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #11

Just a question or ten because I do not know.

Are you putting several gallons of AF in the FW tank and then pumping it thru the units with the water pump?

Are the Berks not equipped with a winterizing system that would bypass the FW tank?

Does the air blow out the ice maker?
Old 09-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #12

There is a winterizing system that bypasses the fw tank. There is a hose and valves in the compartment where the water pump is so that you can siphon the anti-freeze directly from that jug into the system. Also, if you leave the ice maker on while doing this, hopefully it will go through the fill cycle at least once allowing air to blow out the line to the ice maker. This is what I have done.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #13

Move to Louisiana and there's no need to "winterize"......lol

Tags
winter, winterize