Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #1

Wiper adjustment

Has anyone had the drivers side wiper try to come around the corner of the windshield on its up swing? This has happened to me a couple of times but only with strong headwinds. When the wiper is off and in its down position, it appears a little higher than the passenger side, so I thought I would clock it a little bit down and maybe then would be a little less travel on the up swing, which might help the issue. However, when I remove the nut and washer it does not come off of the shaft very easy and I don't want to force it. Does anyone know if it is like a car on a finely spline shaft and pulls straight off?
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #2

Ben it will come off. First mark the existing position then give it a tug. I ended up having to pry a bit on mine. You are correct that the not is all that holds it on.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Ben it will come off. First mark the existing position then give it a tug. I ended up having to pry a bit on mine. You are correct that the not is all that holds it on.
Thanks Phil, I figured as much but didn't want to take the chance and damage it. Now I can feel confident to remove it!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:19 PM   #4

You should be able to flip the wiper arm to a standing position. Then wiggle the arm side to side. I would place a small mark where position of the wiper started with a sharpie before you start to remove wiper arm. Two reasons, in case you need to put it back to its original position also so you know how far you need to move it. Especially if need to remove wiper in mid stroke by turning off key to stop it. Caution: if you need to do it this way do not turn key back on until wiper is on! I slid the wipers across a freshly painted hood because of this.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:10 AM   #5
7 Year Class A RV'er

Yes! On the way home from the dealer with the brand new coach! After they "fixed" that one, the other one did a similar thing driving down I-40 in a downpour. Here's the issue. The manufacturer of the wiper arm calls for a serrated locking washer under the spindle nut that holds the arm to the drive spindle. FR apparently left those washers out. Remove the spindle nut and pull the wiper arm off. Position it correctly, then put the nut back on, EXCEPT...add a serrated locking washer and/or use some LocTite on the spindle nut. When my passenger side came loose, it jammed under the driver side and bent it pretty good. I was able to remove it and beat and bend it back into shape. Also found it helped to throw away the cheap OEM wiper blades and buy some heavier duty Trico blades.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:11 AM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er

By the way, when the wipers are off, both arms should place the wipers horizontally.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Yes! On the way home from the dealer with the brand new coach! After they "fixed" that one, the other one did a similar thing driving down I-40 in a downpour. Here's the issue. The manufacturer of the wiper arm calls for a serrated locking washer under the spindle nut that holds the arm to the drive spindle. FR apparently left those washers out. Remove the spindle nut and pull the wiper arm off. Position it correctly, then put the nut back on, EXCEPT...add a serrated locking washer and/or use some LocTite on the spindle nut. When my passenger side came loose, it jammed under the driver side and bent it pretty good. I was able to remove it and beat and bend it back into shape. Also found it helped to throw away the cheap OEM wiper blades and buy some heavier duty Trico blades.

Mine does have the lock washers, but it still came loose when it happened the first time. I think when that happened, it might have moved position. Now I think if I can clock it down a little it should be fine because it didn't do it as bad the second time. I also replaced the stock wiper blades, but not sure if they're any better, I got them at Camping World...don't remember what brand they are. Where did you get the Trico brand?
Old 03-06-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
7 Year Class A RV'er

I got Trico 67-324 from Amazon. Same as what CW had here but they were out of stock. My OEM could have been something lighter, not sure, but the Trico was a vast improvement. When my second one came loose, it got both out of sync. I turned them wiper switch off so they would go "home", then pulled both arms and reinstalled them do they were horizontal and level. Working good so far, even with my rework of the bent arm.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #9

I have all the same problems with my wipers even after getting the trico blades and putting in the star lock washers. My best advise is to use RAINX on the windshield. It limits the need to use the wipers especially in heavy downpours and driving highway speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

Mmnsc: Have you tried using a little blue LocTite on the nut? Should keep it from loosening. Also may want to check and make sure the drive splines aren't stripped out.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Mmnsc: Have you tried using a little blue LocTite on the nut? Should keep it from loosening. Also may want to check and make sure the drive splines aren't stripped out.

I have checked the wipers many times and they are tight and not slipping on the spindle. When at Goshen they changed the wiper arm and reset the height to the spec. In a heavy rain and driving the left wiper on occasion still goes beyond the windshield. Using the RAINX limits the amount of having to use the wipers in heavy rain. Something we will have to live with as the momentum of the arm swinging causes it to go past the stop. I believe there is just too much slop in arm mechanism.
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #12
7 Year Class A RV'er

Very likely too much slop, like you say. One more safety related issue that a good number of Legacy owners are encountering and FR doesn't seem too concerned over. Good luck and drive safe.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #13

Never miss an opportunity.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #14

I managed to remove the wiper arm from the spline today (didn't come off very easy) and clocked it down a little...I think this will work and not go around the corner now.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #15

Some have started to use smaller blades. I would think that would help.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #16

I did this today after a wiper failure in the rain on 95.
Adjusting them was easy, took all of five minutes to mark the current position, pop off the arm with a screwdriver for leverage and turn down putting the wipers about even across the windshield.
ChuckandJennr is offline   Reply With Quote