Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #1

Wiring for new (to me) Jeep "toad"

Hello all. We finally bit the bullet and bought a Jeep Wrangler to use as a toad (and a second car). We had a Nissan Versa as a toad and it worked fine, but the 2013 Jeep Wrangler with an auto tranny provides some more options for us and is more fun to drive. I have ordered the Blue Ox base plate and will install that myself, but my question is what have those of you with Jeep Wranglers been doing for your wiring? There appears to be a couple of companies ("Cool Tech" being one) that make plug and play harnesses. Because I am pretty good with mechanical, but not so good with electrical I took the Versa in to a company and had them wire it for towing, but I would rather do it myself if there is something easy out there. Any input would be appreciated. -Glenn
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

Check your Jeep dealer, Mopar accessories used to have a plug and play accessory harness

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #3

Cool Tech!

pbabrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbabrams View Post
Cool Tech!

Thanks pbabrams, I called Cool Tech in an attempt to ask them about their product and was forced to leave a voice mail. They have not returned the call yet and that was two days ago. I want to ask them if their plug is a 4 wire or 6 wire and if I have to use their specific umbilical from the motorhome to the Jeep or if I can use the one I already have.
Pacific Northwest
Old 08-31-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
Land of the Midnightsun

We pull a 2010 Sahara and I used this. Easy install has the diodes for your proper 12v current. Hopkins 56200 Plug-In Simple Towed Vehicle Wiring Kit Just plug into jeep tail lights then run wires up front to your plug in. I cut off flat connector and changed to round 4 pin
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #6
Land of the Midnightsun

Also I used this pig tail from Moho to front of jeep. Comes with round 4 pin plug which will be the number of wires coming from your jeep tail lights. Plug bracket screws right into your blue ox base plate. I have blue ox on my jeep to ....Hopkins 47044 Endurance Flex-Coil Adapter Kit
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
Land of the Midnightsun

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	118978
Old 08-31-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

X2 on the Hopkins adapter. Very easy to wire up, took about 15 minutes.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:43 AM   #9

Thanks Speedwagon and Aqua!
Pacific Northwest
Old 08-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
Also I used this pig tail from Moho to front of jeep. Comes with round 4 pin plug which will be the number of wires coming from your jeep tail lights. Plug bracket screws right into your blue ox base plate. I have blue ox on my jeep to ....Hopkins 47044 Endurance Flex-Coil Adapter Kit
Speedwagon (or Aqua), I see that the small plug (Jeep side) of the Hopkins 47044 adapter kit has 6 pins. How did you know which ones to use for the 4 you ran forward from the Jeep taillights? Sorry for the stupid question, but I am good with mechanical stuff, this electrical stuff kills me. My current blue ox pig tail is a 7 to 6 configuration (7 on the motorhome side and 6 on the Jeep side) and looks just like the one included with this adapter.
Pacific Northwest
Old 08-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #11
7 Year Class A RV'er

For our 2014 Wrangler, I used the Blue Ox BX88285 wiring harness kit. A little pricey, but it works great. Plug and play with no cutting of the harness required, no diodes, etc. I mounted the control module inside the body behind the taillight on the driver side, then ran the harness to the front page of the Jeep. Works great. Also had the Blue Ox tow bar and base plate plus the Invisibrake. On the baseplate, the instructions are going to tell you to drill (from memory) a couple of 17/32" holes that would require a turned down bit shank for a 1/2" drill. You can actually get by with a 1/2" bit; saves time and money! The base plate is a really tight exact fit to the frame, so be sure to align it well to go in straight. Have fun!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:16 PM   #12

Thanks Poppy. I see that kit comes with the 4 pin flat connector as well. Wish they made one that came with the round connector that would fit in the round hole provided on the base plate. Looks like I am going to just have to cut the flat one off and splice a round one in. The trick will be getting the right wires on the right pins.
Pacific Northwest
Old 08-31-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
7 Year Class A RV'er

Subsailor: If you buy the Blue Ox accessory kit, it will come with the round connector for the hole in the base plate and the appropriate cable to go to the coach. That's what I did, then simply wired the Blue Ox wiring harness into that plug and cut the flat connector off. The round plug also has one extra pin, which I connected to the tail light wiring on the coach and use it for the trickle charger that is part of the Invisibrake. Hookup is just the one umbilical from coach to Jeep.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
Speedwagon (or Aqua), I see that the small plug (Jeep side) of the Hopkins 47044 adapter kit has 6 pins. How did you know which ones to use for the 4 you ran forward from the Jeep taillights? Sorry for the stupid question, but I am good with mechanical stuff, this electrical stuff kills me. My current blue ox pig tail is a 7 to 6 configuration (7 on the motorhome side and 6 on the Jeep side) and looks just like the one included with this adapter.
I know on my Liberty, it has a dual filament bulb (running lights and stop lights) and a separate bulb for the turn signals. I would imagine the 6 pin uses the turn signal bulbs, if your vehicle is so equipped. Using the 4-pin Hopkins like jjSpeedwagon used (and like I used) should only use the dual filament bulb and not use the turn signal bulbs at all. Turns are indicated through the dual filament bulb. Two less wires to worry about.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #15

Thanks again guys!
Pacific Northwest
Old 08-31-2016, 07:57 PM   #16

I also use the Blue Ox wiring...very easy to install. My module is in the well with the jack and jack handle. When you're looking at brakes, check out M&G (M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Home Page). A little pricey, but well worth it!
rad_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
Thanks Poppy. I see that kit comes with the 4 pin flat connector as well. Wish they made one that came with the round connector that would fit in the round hole provided on the base plate. Looks like I am going to just have to cut the flat one off and splice a round one in. The trick will be getting the right wires on the right pins.
Cutting off the flat connector and connecting to around what is really not a big deal. You can find diagrams of the wiring all over the internet.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
For our 2014 Wrangler, I used the Blue Ox BX88285 wiring harness kit. A little pricey, but it works great. Plug and play with no cutting of the harness required, no diodes, etc. I mounted the control module inside the body behind the taillight on the driver side, then ran the harness to the front page of the Jeep. Works great. Also had the Blue Ox tow bar and base plate plus the Invisibrake. On the baseplate, the instructions are going to tell you to drill (from memory) a couple of 17/32" holes that would require a turned down bit shank for a 1/2" drill. You can actually get by with a 1/2" bit; saves time and money! The base plate is a really tight exact fit to the frame, so be sure to align it well to go in straight. Have fun!
X2 for my JK Wrangler. I use all Blue Ox including the Patriot brake system. Works great
Darugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #19

Thanks all. Blue Ox all the way it is (already had the base plate ordered). I also found a wiring diagram that will work for me to install the round connector vice the flat four and also allow me to run a constant 12V to keep the Jeep battery charged when using the braking system (Brake Buddy Vantage).
Pacific Northwest
Old 05-31-2018, 07:28 PM   #20

Wiring extra 4 diodes for the Invisibrake

Conceptumator,

I too installed the Blue Ox EZ light kit and Invisibrake. But Roadmaster told me I also need to install 4 diodes between the Invisibrake connection to my Blue Ox harness and tail/brake/turn signal lights on my Jeep. How did you wire yours to protect the Invisibrake?

Neither Blue Ox nor Roadmaster could help me..
kdhart99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, wiring