Old 08-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #1

Work done at the rally

I am continuously amazed by the work FR does here at the rally.
What these guys accomplish in one hour, compares to leaving your coach at a dealer for a month, and it probably still will not be done right.

This really shines a light on how bad many (if not most) of the dealerships/service centers are.
It re-enforces my conviction to never take it in and do whatever I can by myself.

Northern Ohio
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:15 PM   #2

Amen on doing it yourself!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 08-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Amen on doing it yourself!!!!!!

But be careful to not fall off ladder while doing it yourself !!

Russell
Old 08-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I am continuously amazed by the work FR does here at the rally.
What these guys accomplish in one hour, compares to leaving your coach at a dealer for a month, and it probably still will not be done right.

This really shines a light on how bad many (if not most) of the dealerships/service centers are.
It re-enforces my conviction to never take it in and do whatever I can by myself.
Ain't they sumpin'????

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #5

Keep in mind that the guys working on your rig are factory trained techs and it is my guess paid better then the average RV tech at a dealership who's only training is on the job training. There are good techs a some dealerships and some not so good. JMHO (I do most of my own work)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #6

Also keep in mind that these guys are working on basically the same type equipment all day. Maybe have 2, 3, or even 6 models, but.......e.g., they are all the same water heater, all the same axles, all the same door types, all the same curtain rods, etc. A dealer is carrying a zillion models.........

E.G., our CC techs don't know what a bumper pull is. They don't deal with Motorhomes. That's why they kick out 13 a day, and that's why they don't have to retool, rethink, or redo from one to the next like a dealer.

Not sure how the rest of the country is, but I'm seeing more and more independent RV repair shops. I'd think that would be a great business to start up right now, if you are not as lazy as I am!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #7

I'm impressed with the diesel division's desire to make it right and at no cost!

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Toad: 2002 Jeep Wrangler

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #8

We weren't able to make the rally due to other schedules, but wish we were able to have made it!

We're currently up at Bay City Michigan, traveling through the great state of Michigan and when we were setting up on Saturday, one of the bedroom slides wouldn't move. It made a lot of clunking sounds, but no movement. To keep the story short, between Berkshire Warranty service rep & a local Forest River dealer (who is not a Berkshire Dealer), the dealer's mobile tech came out on Tuesday & confirmed that it was the slide's gearbox. Had to order the gearbox & hope it will be in tomorrow (Thursday) to be installed on Friday?!?! Anyway, the well seasoned tech said that he has only replaced one slide gearbox in years as a tech!

So, as stated, if we were at the rally, this problem would have been completed in no time. But now, it will take at least a week.
Larry [US Army-Ret/Department of the Army Civilian-Ret/DAV];with Diane [Teacher-Ret]; 'Litabit' & 'QTπ' [Westies]; 2016 Berkshire XL 40RB/380 Turbo Diesel - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Life is GOOD Little Rock, Arkansas
zeelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #9

We had a short list of repairs and the workers swarmed all over and repared my list in no time and were polite and did everything well. I plan on leaving a good tip in the tip jar @ repairs building.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:39 PM   #10

Norsnrub.. Is the building you're talking about the AG building where we went after registration to arrange & sign the service papers??
I've been trying to find it to contribute to the party....the FR techs (and the ones from the mfrs.) have been simply amazing...not just fixing what we asked...but in finding and fixing other stuff and being really nice about all of it.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote