Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #1

Workkamping

Anyone out there done any workkamping??? DW and I are thinking that might be something we might be interested in...

Would love to hear some first-hand accounts of personal experiences as well as recommendations.... Do's and Don't would also be nice....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390bh

The closest I can give you to a first hand experience is that we met a fellow Berkshire owner in Alaska who was workcamping. He and his wife were actually cleaning cabins at an RV park. They had free camping, got paid, had days off and seemed to be very pleased with the arrangement. I have also talked to some who were workcamping at Association Island near Watertown, NY, and they also spoke very highly of the experience.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglelover
Workamper

Check out these sites, they will give you a great deal of info. Regards; Frank

www.workamper.com/

www.work-for-rvers-and-campers.com/
Eaglelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #4

I've looked at all the sites.... I was wanting to hear some first-hand reports from individuals that had actually experienced it.... Especially interested in their pro/con experiences....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglelover
isn't there a place on Workampers that you can see comments both good and bad about experiences of other workers? Frank
Eaglelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #6

Ernest,

Good friends of ours who retired a few years ago, are hard-core work-campers. They managed to get on with Amazon over Christmas now for the last few years, work a couple National Parks and NASCAR races. They have had a wonderful time and not a bad word to report. They researched everything very carefully. That's a good example. A so-so example is the son of coworker who thought he would work-camp to save some college money. He hooked up with a company in Texas that puts you out on oil rig sites. While they have done everything they promised - he goes days without seeing people and I think is a little stir-crazy. Power to the site is a massive diesel generator and I guess it is driving him batty! I read recently about a dog rescue/shelter in the Blue Ridge mountains - (I think) that will put you up on a site, pay a little pocket change in return for working at the shelter. I thought about that for a minute then my wife walked in the room - and I realized I could never afford it!!!!!!! She would adopt everything that walked in!

I think if you hook up with the right group - you could have a very enjoyable time.
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote