Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #1

Would like to upgrade present refrigerator to a residential

We have 2008 Berkshire and would like to get a BIGGER refrigerator And freezer....... Along with ice maker.
I would even give up my pantry shelves next to the refrigerator to make it work.
Any suggestions.... What kind?? Run off Propane...generator...? Inverter ??
Thanks for any ideas
Palmtreepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Pat,

Just to help you out at bit.
Residential refrigerators do not run on propane.
You need to start looking after you measure your opening and then see how hard it would be to remove your pantry.
As to running off your inverter, depends on what size inverter you have, how many batteries you have and do you boondock at all. (also if you inverter is wired to the current outlet behind your current refridgerator)
Not an expert at all and sure other will chime in with help.

Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #3

I installed a residential fridge in our 2012 39BH last year. We love it. I bought a 3 door LG from Home Depot. Fits great and we love it. The install cost more than the new fridge. Old fridge and new fridge had to come out the drivers window. Installers needed to reinforce the bottom of the cabinet. I'd do it again despite the expense. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468887799.458326.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	114568. Good luck
James green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by James green View Post
I installed a residential fridge in our 2012 39BH last year. We love it. I bought a 3 door LG from Home Depot. Fits great and we love it. The install cost more than the new fridge. Old fridge and new fridge had to come out the drivers window. Installers needed to reinforce the bottom of the cabinet. I'd do it again despite the expense. Attachment 114568. Good luck

James
Do you have the furnace for the rear of the coach under the refrigerator? I could not tell from your picture but that is where my furnace is located.
Thanks
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:37 PM   #5

Yes it is there. New platform reinforced over the furnace. No other modification was necessary.
James green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Yes it is there. New platform reinforced over the furnace. No other modification was necessary.

Any electrical upgrades needed? Inverter? Wiring to inverter?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:38 PM   #7

Thanks Skip for a heads up on different things to think about. Our Moho is at a local RV maintenance place. He's got a great reputation for his work and service, he's going to
Evaluate our situation and present different options to us.
I guess I want to act like I know what he's talking about.
He did mention a separate inverter.
Thanks for some helpful tips.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #8

Jim... What an excellent job you did. Now that's what I'm talking about.... Looks like it came that way from Goshen.
We have the Moho at a local RV maintenance place that has great reviews and we have had some work in the past. He's analyzing our situation and going to give us the different options. We just need to know a little about what this involves. If the floor needs extra support etc
Any help or advise for us is greatly appreciated. One thing is getting the old out and the new in ???? Probably have to remove the doors and like you... go through a window.
Is yours only electric ??? Runs off of the generator ??
like on a timer?? How go you keep it locked driving down the road seeing that it's a Home Depot product and not one made for RV's ??? Thanks again for the great picture.... ��
Old 07-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #9

Pat
Your propane fridge's box is sealed all around and has a outside wall vent and a chimney. For the residential fridge, these two openings should be sealed. The residential fridge needs breathing room to the moho's inside; especially at the bottom and top.

The residential needs to plug into a inverter receptacle. Your current receptacle may not be on the inverter circuit. You will probably need a bigger inverter. 2,000 watts is advisable. The inverter should be fed by at least four cabin batteries.

Besides just figuring out if the residential will fit, check out the door swings will hit anything. Also check that the new fridge's front to back dimension will fit in the hallway for its journey to its final destination. Doors and drawers may be needed to be removed.
Hank
Old 07-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
I installed a residential fridge in our 2012 39BH last year. We love it. I bought a 3 door LG from Home Depot. Fits great and we love it. The install cost more than the new fridge. Old fridge and new fridge had to come out the drivers window. Installers needed to reinforce the bottom of the cabinet. I'd do it again despite the expense. Attachment 114568. Good luck
Did they have to remove the driver's seat too? I would worry that the window would leak after being removed then replaced. I guess using trusted installers helps.
Your new fridge looks great!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #11

RV Fridge alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Pat,

Just to help you out at bit.
Residential refrigerators do not run on propane.
You need to start looking after you measure your opening and then see how hard it would be to remove your pantry.
As to running off your inverter, depends on what size inverter you have, how many batteries you have and do you boondock at all. (also if you inverter is wired to the current outlet behind your current refridgerator)
Not an expert at all and sure other will chime in with help.

Skip
Actually some brand name fridges can be ordered with a propane option and you can easily find propane household fridges through companies who service off grid customers. I considered these units but my primary reason for getting rid of the norcold was the potential fire hazard. They also get damaged if not kept near level when operating. I also installed 350W of solar panel so in the end I opted for a 11 cubic foot 12v household fridge. So far I am very happy with it but to be honest we aren't camping in the desert heat but in mid 20s to low 30s. It has travelled over 4k km (some of it very rough roads) and has been in constant use since early May. It is a Unique and made in Canada. The only thing to consider with a household fridge is that they are not tested for the vibration and shaking it will experience in an RV while travelling.
itsallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #12

Thank you for more options to consider . We've always liked the idea of solar panels ....... That's another upgrade down the road. I hate to part with our 2008 Berk.. We've got it almost all up graded.... The way we like it..Removed ALL the carpeting and put on Vinyl flooring that looks exactly like hardwood flooring. Especially love the couch and love seat seating......for now I just want a bigger refrigerator... Short of buying a new motor home..... My husband is trying to appease me buy having a larger refrigerator��
Old 07-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #13

I have an 08 also. I got rid of the old refige and replaced it with one from Lowes. It only runs on electric but we have never had a problem with keeping things cold. If we are on the road for 6 or more I run the generator. No modification needed brought it in thru the emergency Window. It's 10 cubic feet. No ice maker instead bought a portable ice maker from Walmart keep a bag of cubes in the freezer. Hope this helps Jim
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #14
Land of the Midnightsun

I wouldn't do it. The size of our appliances at home are better left at home not rolling down the Hwy
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, upgrade