Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #1

Would you do it again

As i'm looking for a new motor home, after owning one .... would anyone say they'd buy another berkshire ? legitimate question ...
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #2

It is a fantastic MH. Like any of them, there are some things that leave you scratching your head when it comes to cutting corners in the built process .... examples ... screw a door glide into 1/8 panelling without blocking in behind, door hinges screwed into mdf with extra fine screws, use of staples rather than screws and lack of glue, kitchen cupboards too narrow for average dinner plates.

These kinds of things drive me wingy ... I have seen similar things with just about every RV maker.

Is the finish as good as a Tiffin or Fleetwood? I would have to say not. Is the Berk in the same price range as the Fleetwood or Tiffin ... No.

To answer you question it comes done to dollar and cents ... For me, I was willing to make the trade off and I would do it again. Be sure to shop around and find a dealer that really wants to make a deal
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #3

Thank you for your honest opinions, MH are fun,great way to travel,at same time a big under taking,an a whole bunch of common sense ... THE DEAL .. thats what turns us all off i guess, MSRP flying all over the place from dealer to dealer etc. Read some books on how to.. lol but whats a fair deal for both sides... I wish there was someone that had a business of negotiating the deal, by taking the I wana out of it .. no body will give up dealer cost, why ? cause there trying to bleed every cent they can out of you .. an for that, a tent from walmart looks pretty good. Dealer cost plus 10/15% no problem, they have to make something.. above that, just trying to get ya ... i know we all probably feel the same ... we're think Tuscany or Pheaton at this point, just alittle bit bigger splash .. thank you an above all enjoy ...
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #4

I seem to remember you may have asked this question before. I love my Berkshire in spite of some problems. Dollar for dollar it still beats all rivals. Fuel economy trumps every other one I know. My two other gas units got 7-8 mpg and my 390bh gets 10+. MY approach to purchase was with shotgun. I contacted every dealer I could find, told them I was a serious buyer and told them my deal. I waited six months and got several phone calls. I became the cog that made a multi vehicle deal work.
Good luck with your decision
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #5

Yes We would buy another Berkshire. We have had some problems but overall it is a great value when compared to the other coaches we looked at. From a customer support standpoint Forest River has be just awesome to deal with.

Do I wish it had solid wood cabinetry instead of just the doors? You bet, but I didn't want to pay the extra 60K to 80k to get solid wood in the two other coaches we considered.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydriven View Post
As i'm looking for a new motor home, after owning one .... would anyone say they'd buy another berkshire ? legitimate question ...

Don't tell me you are considering upgrading from your new Georgetown?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #7

Yes. I just got back from FMCA in Indy and after 6 days of meeting fellow MH owners and looking at a lot of MH I had several thoughts. 1 There are some spectacular MH's on the market today both new and old. 2 Berkshire is a quality MH that uses some top line components and have no more or no less quality control issues than anyone else. 3 Berkshire stacks up dollar for dollar with any other manufacture out there and I would not trade mine for anyone that I looked at in the same price range. 4 I really liked the 2013 RB. Lazy Days had 3 at the show and really loved one of them My wife dragged me away before I did something I really couldn't afford[we just bought one in April a 2011]
If you don't take a long look at there product I believe your missing out.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote