Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #1

XLT owners need your HELP

I am trying to assist an XLT owner with a power problem.

On the the 2 AC lines coming out of the Magnum inverter, are they circuit protected?

If yes do you know where the protection device is mounted? Reset-able fuse or something. We cannot find it. There are two lines so I suspect two breakers or fuses. They are not in the fuse box.

There are no fuses on the inverter as I would expect. The fuse area on the magnum is blank or empty so there must be an external device somewhere.

Please take a look on your coaches.

I appreciate your help.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I am trying to assist an XLT owner with a power problem.

On the the 2 AC lines coming out of the Magnum inverter, are they circuit protected?

If yes do you know where the protection device is mounted? Reset-able fuse or something. We cannot find it. There are two lines so I suspect two breakers or fuses. They are not in the fuse box.

There are no fuses on the inverter as I would expect. The fuse area on the magnum is blank or empty so there must be an external device somewhere.

Please take a look on your coaches.

I appreciate your help.
I can't believe non of you will look!
Old 11-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #3

I can go out to the barn and look if you still need help, mine is a 2015 Charleston 430RB but would think it would be the same.
What is the model of Magnum, mine has fuses on the side of it. And you have no A/C out or it's not getting to the coach? Bad on both external power and Generator?
Bill

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #4

Hi Bill,

Thanks. My buddy is down south and I am up north. I do not know the model but his Magnum is a 2000 watt and the picture he sent showed carriage bolts where the circuit breaker would be. Magnum book says that type of inverter needs to be fused bi the body builder.

His AC from the inverter to the interior of the coach is dead including frig. Will not work of shore power, generator, or inverted battery. It went after a space heater was plugged in. I have to believe FR has reset able fuses somewhere in the basement near the inverter but he cannot find them. Nothing in the circuit breaker box ether.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
Dragonship Captain

OK, I don't know all the varieties of wiring schemes for these buses. All I know very well is how mine is wired. It's described in detail on my blog. IF what you're looking at is similar you may want to question the inverter breaker on the panel. A multi meter on BOTH sides of the breaker to verify that it is passing 120V to the inverter is the first step. Yes, since the inverter breaker is (on mine) 30A there has to be protection downstream on the individual circuits (outlets/fridge probably 15A each). (And since you say it's a 2000W inverter it has to be at least 20A, and probably 30) Again, all I have to offer is how mine is wired which is back to the 120V distribution panel.

https://dragonship.blog/modification...breaker-panel/

If your friend's setup is not back through the panel you will have to trace the wiring, which is a pain. But again, first make sure there is 120V going TO the inverter. There HAS to be a breaker for that. (If anything it protects the charger part.....speaking of which.... does he show charging?..... it's another tell tale)
Old 11-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

Silver, I have the magnum 2000 in mine. The two carriage bolts are in front where the output is. On the right side there is a green light. Above the light is a reset button. With all power disconnected (AC and D.C.). So he will have to open the battery disconnect. Hold the on/off button down for 15 seconds.

Then close battery disc and plug back in. I can email you the manual if you need it.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
Dragonship Captain

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...0.html?page=63
Old 11-17-2017, 06:04 PM   #8

Here is what mine looks like. The two output CBS are on the front and the on off button is on the right. One output circuit goes to the kitchen. Chasing the other one down tomorrow to try and figure out what the heck happened with my power and inverter last week.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1249.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	156614Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1250.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	156615
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 11-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #9

Silver, the same thing happened to me last week. Try the reset and if it doesn't work, tell him to start the engine and run it for a while. He probably has a fault light on the remote panel inside for the inverter. That's why he can't reset the kitchen breaker. Once the engine charges the house batteries, the fault will go away. That was one thing I did to reset mine last weekend. See if that works and if not, I have a couple of more suggestions.
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 11-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

While I have a 5er my invertor has a breaker at the battery. It is about the size of a pack of smokes

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #11

Here is what the remote looks like in mine

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1251.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	156616
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 11-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #12
dfp

I installed a Magnum inverter in my Georgetown and the inverter has two fuses built in. They are push pull switches on the side.
dfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post
I installed a Magnum inverter in my Georgetown and the inverter has two fuses built in. They are push pull switches on the side.
Did you install a Magnum 2000? If so, where are the push pull switches? Can you post a pict?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
Silver, the same thing happened to me last week. Try the reset and if it doesn't work, tell him to start the engine and run it for a while. He probably has a fault light on the remote panel inside for the inverter. That's why he can't reset the kitchen breaker. Once the engine charges the house batteries, the fault will go away. That was one thing I did to reset mine last weekend. See if that works and if not, I have a couple of more suggestions.
No Fault light on the remote unfortunately. I show float charging on the remote and to clarify, the power loss was due to something tripping when we plugged a small electric heater into the bedroom outlet above the dresser (the one on the left). Something tripped and now we do not have power to:
  • Any outlet in the bedroom
  • The 2 outlets along the dinette super slide
  • The TV/Entertainment center (including the outlet where the HDMI Splitter and DirecTV Box live)

Now I DO have power to:
  • The Residential Refer
  • Convection Microwave
  • Induction Cooktop
  • Heated Floors
  • The Fireplace (which plugs in right below the entertainment center - go figure!)
  • Kitchen Outlets
  • Bathroom Outlets
  • All 3 A/C
  • The outlets on the Pilot & Copilot side of the cockpits
  • The outlet in the basement shelf below the Copilot's seat
[

I have tried a soft and hard reset of the inverter (the hard reset requires battery disconnect off, unplug from pedestal and wait 3 min)
I have reset all the breakers on the panel under the bed.
Checked the fuses in the basement on the pilot's side of the coach
Reset the kitchen GFI

I am just about at wits end - there has to be some hidden breaker or GFI that I am missing or some in-line fuse that has blown that I do not know the location.

Open to any suggestions!
Old 11-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #15

Addendum: All the Ceiling lights work as well
Old 11-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #16

I only find 3 gfi power drops. 1 in the bathroom and 2 in the breaker box under the bed. Thats it.

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
While I have a 5er my invertor has a breaker at the battery. It is about the size of a pack of smokes
That is what I expected. I asked my friend to look for it bu the could not find it.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Did you install a Magnum 2000? If so, where are the push pull switches? Can you post a pict?
Bob,

Different inverters are built differently. Yours does not have the switches. If it did this would be easy.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #19
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
No Fault light on the remote unfortunately. I show float charging on the remote and to clarify, the power loss was due to something tripping when we plugged a small electric heater into the bedroom outlet above the dresser (the one on the left). Something tripped and now we do not have power to:
  • Any outlet in the bedroom
  • The 2 outlets along the dinette super slide
  • The TV/Entertainment center (including the outlet where the HDMI Splitter and DirecTV Box live)

Now I DO have power to:
  • The Residential Refer
  • Convection Microwave
  • Induction Cooktop
  • Heated Floors
  • The Fireplace (which plugs in right below the entertainment center - go figure!)
  • Kitchen Outlets
  • Bathroom Outlets
  • All 3 A/C
  • The outlets on the Pilot & Copilot side of the cockpits
  • The outlet in the basement shelf below the Copilot's seat
[

I have tried a soft and hard reset of the inverter (the hard reset requires battery disconnect off, unplug from pedestal and wait 3 min)
I have reset all the breakers on the panel under the bed.
Checked the fuses in the basement on the pilot's side of the coach
Reset the kitchen GFI

I am just about at wits end - there has to be some hidden breaker or GFI that I am missing or some in-line fuse that has blown that I do not know the location.

Open to any suggestions!
Your bus is relatively new IIRC and is thus probably wired like mine. In fact, the items you list working are all on mine as well.

You're fireplace, reefer etc all have separate circuits. Your ceiling lights are 12V nothing to do with this problem. The fuses in the compartment under the driver's seat have nothing to do with this problem. The fact that there are other circuits that most likely pass through the inverter (micro, cockpit outlets) are working tells me your inverter is fine.

After the 120 passes through the inverter it comes BACK to the serice panel. This is where the breakers are that protect the circuits that CAN be powered by the inverter. You can't tell from looking at the panel that the bar on which the breakers mount is broken up. This is a fairly recent way of wiring the 120V system. Most people don't understand it. Took me a while to get my head around. It is described in detail on my blog.

https://dragonship.blog/modification...breaker-panel/

POST A PICTURE OF YOUR 120V service panel. (with the lid open). I will try to deduce more from that. Everything you tell me points to it being a problem in ONE circuit, well downstream of the inverter. I suspect you have a bad breaker or something in the wiring of that circuit popped. (Not likely). The bedroom and slide outlets are generally not GFCI protected. If it's like mine, the cockpit and outdoor outlet are downstrersam, and protected by, one of the bathroom GFI's. The kitchen outlets are on their own circuit, GFI protected. There are no hidden breakers on the new buses. There are also no breakers on the inverter/charger itself on the new setup.

Again, I suspect you have a bad breaker. It popped when you put the heater on it, and it is not resetting. Again.... post a picture and I will know for sure. If you can.... make sure I can read the labels.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #20
dfp

Yes it was a Magnum 2000 but I am currently in Seattle and the RV is in Yuma. If the inverter is facing you, electrical wires out the back the two push pull switches are on your right as you are facing the unit. I have activated them as a test but they have never gone off on there own.
dfp is offline   Reply With Quote