Old 04-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #1

Yet another survey....

I'm getting ready to take my Berk in for it's annual maintenance. The maint items list in the FL manual is so dern detailed, I'd think it would take a week to check EVERYTHING they suggest.

So, what MAJOR items do you have done? I mean the really important ones.

So far my list includes engine oil and filter, fuel filter, oil in front hubs and greasing all fittings. Tranny filter (the small one) was replaced at 6K miles as Allison suggests.

Anything else of a serious nature??

Boowho??

Old 04-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Fulltime in our Berkshire

I can't comment as to what should be done, as I'm still in the first year of my Berk.

I am scheduled in Gaffney while I attend the class. I simply told them "first scheduled service". I hope they automatically cover all items suggested in the manual. I think she said it's about $750

Old 04-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #3

All I know is the shop I brought mine to only did what I asked them to do.

Boo, I would get them to check the serpentine belt also.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #4

I'm scheduled for the 24 month service in Gaffney. The coach is a 2014, new to us, and the chassis was manufactured in July 2013. Pat said the 24 month service being recommended would run $750.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #5

This was my post from December 2014 for my 2 year annual service. See attached invoice. Cost of service

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
This was my post from December 2014 for my 2 year annual service. See attached invoice. Forest River Forums - View Single Post - Cost of service

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Looked at your invoice; I notice the very FIRST item is a "generic" entry for $495 dollars. IMHO that was, in essence, a charge for simply being a motorhome owner(and therefore assumed to have deep pockets).

If that was labor for doing the items enumerated on the invoice, it is incredibly inflated. Most non-factory shops will charge around $75 per hour. I have a mechanic here in Las Vegas that charges that much, and comes HIGHLY recommended by several fellow coach owners.

FL sanctioned shops (dealers??) typically charge $150 per hour. And I'll bet those filters and other parts are significantly more $$$ than at NAPA, or similar big box stores.

Please don't take this as though I'm arguing with / maligning you. I just don't like paying "premium" prices for these things.

Boowho??
Old 04-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
All I know is the shop I brought mine to only did what I asked them to do.

Boo, I would get them to check the serpentine belt also.
Thanks Cajun..... That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I think power steering fluid filter needs to be changed also.

Boowho??
Old 04-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #8

Boo! I have been getting my service at the Gaffney, SC Oasis Service Center. Gaffney is where they build the chassis. Other Oasis centers can be located at:

http://freightlinerchassis.com/Service-Locator/oasis-network/menu-id-95.html

I found the Freightliner manual to be difficult to interpret for service. After attending Camp Freightliner, I made acquaintance with Mike Cody, the Sr. Service Trainer. He supplied me with the following service sheets:

He can be reached at Michael.Cody@Daimler.com

I found out that even for same year MH's the chassis can have different equipment, such as different axles, etc.

When you go to a Oasis, they present you with a recommended service sheet specific to your serial number. You can edit and decline or add items.

I just had the 36k service and my service sheets and invoice is attached. At Gaffney their hourly charge was $90. They give a 5% discount for Freightliner Chassis Owners Club (FCOC) members. Most other Oasis give 10%, however their labor rates may be much higher. At Gaffney, they give 15% for service in Jan or Feb, however.

I generally keep spare fuel filters on board, in case I get a dirty load of diesel and have problems on the road. I recycle those filters when I get service.

36k Service Invoice.pdf
131029 - 6 month service.pdf
131029 - 12 month service.pdf
131029 - 24 month service.pdf
131029 - 36 month service.pdf
131029 - 48 month service.pdf
131029 - Maintenance Schedule.pdf
Old 04-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #9

Boo, I got my first service done at Gaffney (during camp freightliner). I had mixed feelings there. Good service, but I had a coolant leak that they could not find, filled it up and said it was ok....but my local Oasis dealer in Kalmazoo, Mi found and fixed. I had my 2 year service done there (Mi) and went with their recommendations. Those services still keep me within freightliner recommendations toward warranty issues and were much cheaper than doing the full sheet shown in the manual. I guess that I'm lucky to have a great dealer nearby.

Rich
Old 04-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #10

If you're taking it to a FL center, ask them for a printout for their PM1, PM2, or PM3 checklists. You can then decide what you need to get done.

I took mine in to the FL center in Swedesboro, NJ on Tuesday morning & had the PM3 checklist done, got it back on Wednesday. Cost $485.00.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote