Old 11-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
11 Cu. Ft. Whirlpool RV Fridge Question

We have a new 2015 Salem Hemisphere Lite 266RBS 5er with the 11 Cu. Ft. Whirlpool Refigerator/Freezer. It is electric only through shore power or the inverter. Does this unit works via the inverter while on the road? Our first trip was 6 hours to the park and I am wondering if it would've run the battery down or just used power from the tow vehicle connection. We used an ice chest on our first outing just in case, as I did not want to run battery down on such a long drive.

Any advice or experiences?

Thanks, Jim in Texas

jbhiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
Yes; the unit works when you are on the road. I have traveled 10 hours with my inverter on and the residential refrigerator was working the entire time. Everything was at the proper temperature, we have a thermometer in the refrigerator to monitor temps all of the time.

Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
Thanks Jim, I'll give it a try next time were out and leave the old ice chest behind. Well maybe take it along just in case.

Jim H.
jbhiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:12 AM   #4
Wouldn't that be powered off the tow vehicle alternator and 7-pin?

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
2016 Forester 2401R
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
Unhappy Dometic 9 cu ft fridge

I have a 9 cubic ft Dometic fridge in my new Wildcat 295RSX. I did not know it when I purchased it but Dometic says it won't run on propane above 5,500'. When I tried it on my inverter (it draws 3 amps on 120 volt) it is drawing 30 amps. When I plugged in the 7 pin to my truck the battery draw dropped to 26 amps. I don't know if the truck charge rate will go up as the battery goes down or if there is a steady 6 amp charging rate from the truck. If that is the case it won't take long to drag your battery down below recommended discharge levels. I have heard that the heater in the fridge runs all the time. Still trying to decide what I want to do above 5,500'. I got this 5th wheel for boondocking but at a 24 to 30 amp battery discharge rate it looks like I will be running a generator all day while I camp at 9,300' and turning my fridge off at night.
Silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #6
Inverter will not stay on.

I have a real problem with my inverter, I always go to the storage lot and start my inverter the night before we leave to make sure its cold. But the last time the inverter kept shutting itself off.... any ideas....? I had the dealer install a extra battery to protect against this type of failure.

dtodd is offline   Reply With Quote