Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #1

12 cubic foot fridge issues ??

We are really close now.. to.. "pulling the trigger" on a Prime time Crusader 325 res.. A concern of ours..the 12 cubic foot fridge ... not keeping cold enough... has that issue ever been resolved ??
Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #2

I have never had a rv or camper fridge keep food as cold as my home fridge, you probably know that camper/rv fridge works the exact opposite of your home unit. where your home fridge pushes in cold air, the rv pulls out hot air... That said they sell little battery powered fans to put in the fridge which i found REALLY helps, also never pack an rv fridge tight, leave room between items..
I do know it is better then it used to be, but still not perfect. I always carry a cooler to keep things i want ice cold (beer) lol.. other then that if packed right it keeps everything else cold enough..
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Absorption RV refrigerators do not have compressors like your home fridge.

Direct sun and high temperatures on the side with the fridge will really degrade fridge performance. Rigging a shade, boosting air flow through the cooling stack, using propane instead of 120 VAC (more efficient in hot temps), and not over packing the fridge (air circulation) will all help with cooling.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Here is how I keep my fridge cool in 90 degrees and direct sunlight with high humidity.
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge 1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	28312

Name:	fridge 2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	28313

Name:	fridge 3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	28314

Name:	fridge 4.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	28315

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #5

How do you like your Palomino? Currently have Cougar Hi Country Fifth Wheel, thinking of trading in for 3 slide coach. Have looked at Palomino floor plans, and like what we see in the 33 rets
Old 04-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
How do you like your Palomino? Currently have Cougar Hi Country Fifth Wheel, thinking of trading in for 3 slide coach. Have looked at Palomino floor plans, and like what we see in the 33 rets
I / WE love our palomino !
Minor issues here and there but overall its a great trailer !
The frame is not a fabricated welded I beam like others as it's a normal I beam.
One big benefit is sabresam, If you have ANY questions what so ever he is on top of it and gets answers quickly !
It tows VERY well and suits our needs.

There are a few things I have noticed that could be different and I have since told Sabresam of my thoughts .
We had a flagstaff before this and I think they both have very good qualities!

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
I have never had a rv or camper fridge keep food as cold as my home fridge, you probably know that camper/rv fridge works the exact opposite of your home unit. where your home fridge pushes in cold air, the rv pulls out hot air... That said they sell little battery powered fans to put in the fridge which i found REALLY helps, also never pack an rv fridge tight, leave room between items..
I do know it is better then it used to be, but still not perfect. I always carry a cooler to keep things i want ice cold (beer) lol.. other then that if packed right it keeps everything else cold enough..
Not quite right. A residential refrigerator does not push in cold air. It also removes heat from the air, as does all HVAC equipment including your RV AC, home central AC, commercial coolers, freezers, etc. The process of making cold air is actually the process of heat transfer.
FoCoNoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoCoNoCo View Post
Not quite right. A residential refrigerator does not push in cold air. It also removes heat from the air, as does all HVAC equipment including your RV AC, home central AC, commercial coolers, freezers, etc. The process of making cold air is actually the process of heat transfer.
Yes; it is just "The How" the heat gets extracted is different.
Even a Swamp Cooler is a heat extraction process.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote