Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #21
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebike View Post
Hi

I replace the bathroom fan with a 12 volt computer fan. You can disable the LEDs if you like.

https://www.amazon.ca/Silent-Master-...m+computer+fan

I couldn't stand the stove vent fan noise so I put a speed controller in the vent hood.

https://www.amazon.ca/XCSOURCE%C2%AE...eed+controller

The hardest part is working with the leads while doing the limbo.

Now I can use the fans and it's nice and quiet.
LOL... the OP is looking for fans that MAKE noise not ways to make theirs more quiet.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #22

Coleman makes a great drip type coffee maker that sits on a burner. Just have to position it over flame source correctly. I have a 12volt drip that I used on my boat (don't know the brand) that will brew about 4 cups. it will plug straight in to a cigarette/12v plug, BUT uses a lot of juice. Percolator is ok too, but due to getting used to the extra grounds in the coffee can be difficult. Coleman is the best choice. Good luck
Old 12-14-2018, 10:33 PM   #23

Other than french press coffee, Percolator coffee is the best. As some have mentioned, put a regular coffee filter in the basket by lining the cup and pushing the stem up through and then put your coffee in. I have a 24 cup sold by gander mountain but they no longer make my model. It has wood handles which is important because the pot will get hot boiling slightly less more than 2 pots of drip coffee pots.

Here is one similar if you have multiple cup coffee drinkers in your group or many folks joining you.

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...saApxYEALw_wcB

As for the fan, check autoparts websites or stores or truck stops such as flying J or Pilot. They generally have 12 volt fans that can be clipped on something that have 12v power plugs on them. You can either use with the plugs of cut the wires and just splice into a 12v light in the bedroom.

Good Luck!
Old 12-14-2018, 11:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.B View Post
Google "pour over coffee"
You just heat up the water and pour over the grounds in the maker. Many claim this is the ultimate way to make great coffee. You might even want to do this at home.
It's that good.
I bought a silicone collapsible single cup "cone" for me. Extend cone from base which sits on a wide range of cups, put in cone filter, add coffee grounds, pour boiling water over grounds. I first fill the cup to the brim with water, pour it in a pan, then heat. The small amount is ready by the time I get the cone and coffee setup.

Since my Cardiologist doesn't want me drinking coffee I sneak in only one cup a day and this is perfect. For those who want more, heat more water. Filters are cheap (the small cone type).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:10 PM   #25

Another option for fan is 1 that runs off of a drill battery. I think ryobi and dewalt make 1. I see them at dog shows all the time to keep the bull dogs cool.
Tx2Stepn Yorkies
Tx2Stepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:54 AM   #26

12 volt coffee maker

My wife and I are avid coffee drinkers. We use an old time coffee pot to heat water on the stove, and a french press to make the coffee. We clean the grounds out of the pot with the little plastic bags our newspapers arrive in. Yes - we are still reading newspapers!
Wishart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Adventure View Post
We use a french press when off the grid. Makes 1 liter of good coffee, just right for 2 cups each.
^^X2, all you need wold be a stove top tea kettle to heat the water. If you are not familiar with them here is a link to an inexpensive one.

https://www.target.com/p/primula-cop...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

The problem I found with stove top percolators is that they will keep percolating until you remove the heat. They tend to overcook if you are not careful resulting in a nasty brew.

If you are very careful to limit the percolation time they work OK. I prefer the French Press though.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:39 AM   #28
larryandamy

!2vdc fan and coffeemaker

Here is a great 12VDC fan. It is very efficient as it draws 1.2A at highest speed. And it has 3 speeds and moves a lot of air and has your white noise... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For your coffeemaker... they do make them 12VDC, but they d not make much sense. Coffeemakers typically are 750W to 1200W. For 120VAC power, that is between 6 to 10 amps of 120VAC power. But at 12VDC power, that is between 62 and 100 amps. That kind of draw will drain your 12VDC batteries quickly. Thus... that is why 12VDC coffeemakers are not popular or feasible. They would be have to be much lower power at around 100-200W. They will draw over 8 to 17 amps which is still a pretty big load on your batteries. And they are limited to 1 to 2 cups and will take a long time to heat up the water.

We have three 12vdc Costco RV/Marine batteries with 300W of solar panels and a 2000W inverter that converts 12VDC to 120VAC power. We have 120VAC power in our rig all the time and we can run all our chargers, the microwave, coffeemaker, toaster, run my CPAP all night and never run out of power. We just cannot run our air conditioning unless we are hooked up to site power or run a generator. And with the fan above, we don't need air conditioning much. If we know it is going to be above 80F as the nighttime low, then we try to get to a campsite with electrical hookups so we can run our air conditioning.

Running direct off of 12VDC makes sense for lower power devices like fans and USB hub chargers. But anything over 200W really needs 120VAC power because the current is too high at 12vdc. Boondockers use inverters with multiple batteries and solar or a generator for 120 VAC power. I don't like generators because of the noise, neighbor complaints and the restrictions most campsites have on what time windows you can run a generator. Solar is the way to go!
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #29

We keep a 12 cup Percolator in the house in case the power goes out !!!
Guess a small Generator would run a Coffee pot ???
I think you can find one for about $100 !!!
And could be used as a battery charger !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #30

I would stay away from the Coleman coffee maker that sits on top of burner. Takes forever and uses huge amount of propane, we returned ours. We just boil water and pour into drip filter and place coffee pot back on hot burner, stays nice and hot that way. Filters available in most grocery store.

I had a small 12V dash mounted fan for helping defrost the front window. Plugged into cig lighter and had suction cup to hold it in place. It was really noisy, sounded like a jet engine. Not sure of the draw on battery but very noisy. Might be something you could use.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryandamy View Post
Here is a great 12VDC fan. It is very efficient as it draws 1.2A at highest speed. And it has 3 speeds and moves a lot of air and has your white noise... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For your coffeemaker... they do make them 12VDC, but they d not make much sense. Coffeemakers typically are 750W to 1200W. For 120VAC power, that is between 6 to 10 amps of 120VAC power. But at 12VDC power, that is between 62 and 100 amps. That kind of draw will drain your 12VDC batteries quickly. Thus... that is why 12VDC coffeemakers are not popular or feasible. They would be have to be much lower power at around 100-200W. They will draw over 8 to 17 amps which is still a pretty big load on your batteries. And they are limited to 1 to 2 cups and will take a long time to heat up the water.

We have three 12vdc Costco RV/Marine batteries with 300W of solar panels and a 2000W inverter that converts 12VDC to 120VAC power. We have 120VAC power in our rig all the time and we can run all our chargers, the microwave, coffeemaker, toaster, run my CPAP all night and never run out of power. We just cannot run our air conditioning unless we are hooked up to site power or run a generator. And with the fan above, we don't need air conditioning much. If we know it is going to be above 80F as the nighttime low, then we try to get to a campsite with electrical hookups so we can run our air conditioning.

Running direct off of 12VDC makes sense for lower power devices like fans and USB hub chargers. But anything over 200W really needs 120VAC power because the current is too high at 12vdc. Boondockers use inverters with multiple batteries and solar or a generator for 120 VAC power. I don't like generators because of the noise, neighbor complaints and the restrictions most campsites have on what time windows you can run a generator. Solar is the way to go!
There is a 12v coffee maker by Road pro that draws less than 15 amp on 12V, at least that's what the inline fuse is rated for. I used to have something similar I used in a van while traveling.

The 12v percolator types use a small heating chamber and spit the hot water up a tube. Dont have to boil the whole pot so no need for more than 150 watts or so.

They are slower, taking 15 minutes or so for 6 cups or so. Look at truck stops for the "truckers choices" which have usually developed a following because they work.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:47 PM   #32

We have a percolator that we set on the stove, I like hot coffee. DW has to put a ice cube in hers. If we have power we use a electric percolator.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:42 PM   #33

When it comes to coffee, the best way is still the french press. Play with the grinding. The french press likes course ground coffee. If I am having just one cup, I will use the press. When it comes to morning, I tend to make a pot of two. To do that, I usually use the Coleman stove top. It will take the usual 15mins or so like any other drip coffee maker.

Coleman stove top coffee maker.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...coleman+coffee

For fun one day, we took the same beans and ran the following.
Course in the french press
Fine in the french press (do not do this, if you do not like chewing coffee)
Course in the drip
Fine in the drip
Course in the peculator
Fine in the peculator.

Hands down the course in the french press won. There was more flavor and it was almost creamy. Then the drip and the peculator was dead last by a margin. It was hard to believe how much the same beans tasted in the different brewing processes.
Brastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #34

Didn't see anyone mention the Melitta coffeemaker that is just a 4-6 cup Mr. Coffee without electricity. Just heat water in a teakettle on the propane stove and pour over grounds sitting in a paper filter. Coffee drips through to a glass coffee pot exactly like one for a small Mr. Coffee. And you can buy the filters online or at almost any grocery store. So easy that it was the only coffeemaker we took on our 3-month Alaska RV trip and we had coffee every morning.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #35

We sometimes boil the proper amount of water in a kettle for the amount of cups we want, then pour it into the drip coffeemaker basket, which drains into the glass pot. Only problem is keeping it hot.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMonicaB View Post
We are newbies and hope this is where we post questions. DH and I would like to try boondocking but would need a 12-volt coffee maker and a 12-volt fan. I will admit I am hooked on sleeping with a fan, not necessarily for the breeze--although it is good to have it blowing on my feet--but mostly for the noise. We would also like to have a 12-volt coffee maker that makes more than one or two cups. (I thought about getting a percolator for the stove or campfire. Do these work?) Does anyone have any suggestions for a LOUD 12-volt fan and coffee maker? Thank you in advance. Safe travels and happy camping!! Tony & Monica's Plan B, Michigan.
T&M
We use a Melitta coffee maker. Boil water on the stove top, then pour over coffee in the Melitta. When it finishes dripping thru I pour it into a thermal carafe. Makes 4-5 cups. Look on Amazon for fans by O2-Cool, sometimes without the dash. We have 2 of the 10inch 12v fans. Watch, some of them are 9v. Don't put 8 D-batteries in them, just connect them to the trailer 12v. Ours are a few years old and still run great.

You'll love boondocking.

Mike
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:38 PM   #37

We use ‘Alarmy’ – it’s an app on the Apple store that has several white noises.
Enjoy!
Old 12-21-2018, 01:01 AM   #38

Don't waste your money on a 12-volt coffee maker. They work fine, but they eat up a lot of battery power. Use a good percolator on the stove top. The sound and smells of perking coffee will help your DW to wake up with a smile on her face. Trust me.

Try using the ceiling fan in the bathroom as a sound soother. Set it on low, and then make sure DW has at least one foot out from under the covers when you both go to bed. This has worked for us for 45 years!!

If possible, keep a small window cracked barely open close to DW's face while sleeping. Then, if the weather turns really cold, she might wake you up and ask you to warm her up!! Who knows where that might lead??
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brastic View Post
When it comes to coffee, the best way is still the french press. Play with the grinding. The french press likes course ground coffee. If I am having just one cup, I will use the press. When it comes to morning, I tend to make a pot of two. To do that, I usually use the Coleman stove top. It will take the usual 15mins or so like any other drip coffee maker.

Coleman stove top coffee maker.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...coleman+coffee

For fun one day, we took the same beans and ran the following.
Course in the french press
Fine in the french press (do not do this, if you do not like chewing coffee)
Course in the drip
Fine in the drip
Course in the peculator
Fine in the peculator.

Hands down the course in the french press won. There was more flavor and it was almost creamy. Then the drip and the peculator was dead last by a margin. It was hard to believe how much the same beans tasted in the different brewing processes.
I like it !!!
Looks like the best no ele coffee pot I have seen !!!
Old 12-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
T&M
We use a Melitta coffee maker. Boil water on the stove top, then pour over coffee in the Melitta. When it finishes dripping thru I pour it into a thermal carafe. Makes 4-5 cups. Look on Amazon for fans by O2-Cool, sometimes without the dash. We have 2 of the 10inch 12v fans. Watch, some of them are 9v. Don't put 8 D-batteries in them, just connect them to the trailer 12v. Ours are a few years old and still run great.

You'll love boondocking.

Mike
O2 Cool fans don't make much noise !!!

We have a Melitta Mug,,, that works that way,,, only makes about 2 cups !!!

Tags
fan